MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R .357 and .44mag

H&R .357 and .44mag

Well, I picked up a 44mag yesterday at Academy that was on clearance, and got it out the door for $223 so I feel pretty good about that! I also just got off the phone with H&R about sending them my '95 NEF 20ga to have it fitted with a 357 barrel (should cost just under $150 total). I slugged my 44 barrel within 30min of getting home and it is .4315 I shot it a few times and this thing is gonna be really fun with the mild recoil and big "thud" on the targets! Happy Shooting

Good going! You're going to have fun with those two. I'm thinking of getting a 357 Magnum barrel for mine too, and then shooting wadcutters for a target and small game load.

Thanks! I bet my wife and kids will enjoy the 357. One section of their website seemed to say that my 20ga could be converted to 357 and another said "shotgun and muzzleloaders only". That's why I called to make sure

Boolit Buddy
    I almost bought a 357 H&R the other day.. but I don't care for the scope rail! I just want some good ol' traditional iron sights. I was looking at options costing an additional $100 - $150, and at that point, I might as well hold out for a levergun!

I'll be honest, I wish they had irons as well like the older ones did. I'll prob put some kinda red dot on them. Maybe a Vortex Strikefire to share would be kinda neat. I'll use these guns at 25-75 yards mostly

Banned

I used to like iron sights on rifles.

H&R supplies two different butt stocks, one with a high comb for scopes and the other with a lower comb for iron sights. The stock/sight combination makes a big difference. You can easily see the difference looking at the pictures on their web site.

Must just be some of them. Neither of my 2 came with a 2nd stock

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    H&R supplies two different butt stocks, one with a high comb for scopes and the other with a lower comb for iron sights. The stock/sight combination makes a big difference. You can easily see the difference looking at the pictures on their web site.
    357 is high comb for scopes only, and it's on the shotgun frame. Makes no sense to me, but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by .429 View Post
    Must just be some of them. Neither of my 2 came with a 2nd stock
    I didn't say H&R guns come with two stocks. If you want a second stock you must buy it, or buy another gun with the second style of stock.

Take care, Tom

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by .429 View Post
    I'll be honest, I wish they had irons as well like the older ones did. I'll prob put some kinda red dot on them. Maybe a Vortex Strikefire to share would be kinda neat. I'll use these guns at 25-75 yards mostly
    The old h and r' s with the tapered barrels, iron sights, and straight stocks were wonderful rifles, light and responsive.
    The new ones are like aiming a crowbar.

I shot this rifle over my chrono yesterday and I was surprised! Avg velocity was 1689fps with an extreme spread of only 7fps! Yes 7!! All this with a hot charge of Unique and 240gr jsp. Now to see how H110 compares to this

I've got a old H&R Huntsman ML that I'd like to get a .357 Mag. barrel for, if it will fit.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    One of my sons gave me the bull barrel .44 for Christmas one year when he was working at a gun shop. He swapped the wood that was on it for the synthetic furniture off a .270. The synthetic buttstock has a piece of key stock inside it for a weight. I removed it as I like more muzzle hang. I have a scope on it but it will be getting a scout scope in QD rings for two reasons - to get the eyepiece out ahead of the hammer, and I'm gonna put a rail rear aperture on it for when I want to ditch the scope. Haven't slugged it (my bad) but that bore is beautiful and it's the most accurate of all my .44 rifles...I envy the .357 you're getting. Now we need to find a smith that doesn't mind banging all those round-end pins out to do a trigger job on Handis.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Big Bore View Post
    One of my sons gave me the bull barrel .44 for Christmas one year when he was working at a gun shop. He swapped the wood that was on it for the synthetic furniture off a .270. The synthetic buttstock has a piece of key stock inside it for a weight. I removed it as I like more muzzle hang. I have a scope on it but it will be getting a
    scout scope in QD rings for two reasons - to get the eyepiece out ahead of the hammer, and I'm gonna put a rail rear aperture on it for when I want to ditch the scope. Haven't slugged it (my bad) but that bore is beautiful and it's the most accurate of all my .44 rifles...I envy the .357 you're getting. Now we need to find a smith that doesn't mind banging all those round-end pins
    out to do a trigger job on Handis.
    We've got a gunsmith here. Member name ASSASSIN. He does fine work on handi's.

Boolit Master
    Got the grandsons an H&R 20 ga. a couple of years ago. Had the LOP reduced to 12.5" for them. Recently sent it back to H&R for a .357 barrel and was afraid I'd have to get a longer stock for the scope but a 4X with high rings works perfectly. It will shoot cloverleafs with the Lee 358-158-RF or Lyman 358156 over Red Dot 5.0 gr. Great fun for the kids.

Boolit Man
    Great fun for us oldsters too.

For low recoil guns or those without scopes I find that shortening stocks makes them much handier when firing offhand as it moves the weight closer to the body for better balance and quicker handling. Works with bolt actions too. Also comes in handy in cold weather when I bundle up or when shooting prone. I learned this 35 years ago when I bought 'His and Her' SAKO .223 rifles with a short stock on her's. It is the one I use most now.

So I called H&R yesterday to make sure my ticket was still good since I hadn't sent my gun in yet to be fitted with the .357 barrel. I'm planning to do it within the month. Can I expect decent accuracy out of it? I almost didn't do it because of everyone saying that the chamber is so long

Banned

I had my Handi 500S&W fitted for 357 last winter .It's fun with 38,s. Got the gun back in 12 days,including shipping.

Wow! I'm looking forward to letting my 2 boys (10 and 12) shoot it. I think it will be excellent for letting them shoot something with more umph than their 22's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast