Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Definitive List - What powders work and what powders don't

Tim you gotta start making them yourself from soda and beer cans. They were slick on my lead pistol bullets. You can get the dies made for lead cast bullets that require a gas check and also plain base. The dies pay for themselves in no time.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I have found the black powder to be very difficult to determine if the coating is covering well even when ESPC. Red and lighter colors are obvious when coating is too light. Smokes black is good but I'll probably switch over to his red.
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

I color code my alloy .. Red for 98/2 ( hi speed stuff) and Black for 50/50 (1600 FPS and under)

when I recover bullets its easy to recycle as like alloy
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I color code my alloy .. Red for 98/2 ( hi speed stuff) and Black for 50/50 (1600 FPS and under)

when I recover bullets its easy to recycle as like alloy

That is a good idea. It will not work for me though, I will need about 22 different types of alloys...

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Smoke sells 16 colors and you can mix some of them for the speckled egg look for the other 6.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeguy View Post
    ... Case in point:
    Attachment 135065Black Chrome from PBTP...Look close and you can see the blotchy color, this doesn't like to go on well with the dry tumble methods, regardless of the variables involved but it flows so well that you get complete coverage once it's baked. I actually like the way it looks and it's one of my favorites.

What black chrome is this? Does anyone know. I found Bonded black Chrome and Black Chrome II and I am at the PBTP site ready to purchase but I want to get the right stuff.

I think I will take a chance and just get the bonded black chrome. since it is $17/lb as well.

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/se...keep_https=yes

Boolit Bub
    Absolute powder Ultramarine blue. Sometimes goes on sale for $1.50 / lb. Worked well for me with shake and bake 400 / 15 min

http://absolutepowdercoating.com/onl...product_id=177

Boolit Mold
    Just getting started. Had some 30 Cal I found while cleaning my shop and decided to go the ES route. HF red worked great so I purchased some white and yellow. I had red in the gun and wondered what would happen if I added a few spoons of white. Very pretty pink with small dots of red. Will have to load some 308s for my daughter-in-law.

Also did some 38s S&B - Carolina Blue from Smoke that looked great.

When doing S&B has anyone tried rubbing the plastic container on a nylon carpet sample?

Boolit Mold
    Anyone try the "chrome" from powder by the pound?

Banned
    I have had good luck with
    RL Treats - Extra Thick Non Stick Grill Mat Toaster Oven Liner- BBQ Grilling Accessories - Sheets for Gas Grills - Set of 3 Mats - 15.75 x 13 - Teflon Coated

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I22X2FW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCbr View Post
    I bought four different powders from all powder paints.

Ktm Orange
    Bullet black
    Black slip
    Super durable wet black

Using the dry tumble method for all powders I found SDWB to be the best with one coat coverage. Next best was KTM Orange. Again good coverage though little lighter in some areas but still covered. Black slip did not stick enough to attempt curing and bullet black did not stick at all using the DT method.
    I've been using All Powder Paint's Teflon Black. VERY easy to run through the sizer! Not as fine as the Super Durable Wet Black, but I do like the lubricity of it.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    Non stick aluminum foil is the only thing PC coated boolits wont stick to when baked.
    Does the PC stick to stainless steel? Anybody tried it?

Eastwood Translucent Teal:
    Shake and Bake @400 for 20 min.
    Doesn't work well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	east.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	189972

Boolit Buddy
    Quick question. Is everybody ordering the powder or does Harbor Freight have it in stock?
    I have two HF stores within an hour of the house and go those directions fairly often. Really want some NCSU Wolfpack red.
    Thanks
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

I've used HF red with no problems. Although I admit I ordered some from "Smoke"'here on cast boolits and the John Deere Green is awesome!

Boolit Bub
    For any Canadians reading this: Princess Auto Powerfist powders work for the shake N bake method but the colours are pretty disappointing. Red is more a pastel pink. Black is more gunmetal grey. Blue is dull navy blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    For any Canadians reading this: Princess Auto Powerfist powders work for the shake N bake method but the colours are pretty disappointing. Red is more a pastel pink. Black is more gunmetal grey. Blue is dull navy blue.
    I've got to admit, PowerFist is a pretty awesome name haha. I watch AvE on Youtube sometimes and he is from Canada and he is hilarious!! Isn't Princess Auto sort of like Harbor Freight here in the USA?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Boolit Bub
    Can't say, as I've never checked out Harbour Freight.

Banned
    This powdercoating is amazing "CARDINAL T353-GR06 Polyester TGIC Semi Gloss Metalic Silver". It coats the bullets almost instantly without BB's, I shake off the excess in a colander then dump on a wire mesh baking tray. Bake for 10 min @ 400 degrees. I never had them stick to each other or the tray. This PC is used on hospital equipment. https://shop.cardinalpaint.com/colle...allic-30-gloss $62.10 for 4# shipped, you may find it cheaper elswhere

Boolit Master
    It seems that Smoke's powder is less expensive than most other places (Other than HF) and we KNOW it works or doesn't work. Smoke gives good info there. I've only ordered the clear from him and it works darn good with tumbling. I might order one of his "sample packs" to get a choice of 3 colors - just to play with. I actually sorta like my bullets looking like lead bullets.

Ken H>

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast