Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Definitive List - What powders work and what powders don't

Beagle, you should teach a class.

Them green boolits look 100% as perfect as ES.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Master
    My powder is from Smoke on this forum. I tried blue, green, red, and pink. I have only done PC once so far, so Smokes powder was my first try in the PC world. It was very easy to use. One coat covered very well, but I did two on some of my boolits. I used the dry tumble bb method and baked for 15 min at 400f. It took about 3-5 minutes for the PC to look like it was melted all over, so I just set the timer for 15 minutes now. I use the small oster convection oven that walmart sells for $40. It was right on for temp compared to me trutel lead casting thermometer. The PC was equal or faster than lube sizing, but it was much more fun that lube sizing, and less tedious. Unfortunately, I have many 9mm and 40 cal commercial bullets to use up, so I haven't needed to PC again.

I PC'd some 30 cal rifle boolits, but they were hard to size as the PC was quite thick. They are a pain to stand up on the non stick foil as well. I will continue to lube size rifle boolits and PC pistol boolits. I don't think the PC from Smoke was to blame, and I don't want to mess with making it work when the rifle boolits shoot quite well, and don't foul the action of the gun.

The PC'd boolits from smoke were very smooth and glossy. They were still easy to handle to seat in the shells. I also use bearcreek moly coated bullets, and they are too slick. They make my hands hurt from trying to hang onto them, and I have fairly decent hands. My dad got fed up with the moly because they are so slick.

The green and pink are my favorite of the colors. Yes, I am a guy and I said I like the pink. The color just pops out at you. I will shoot pink boolits, but I won't wear a pink shirt or tie..............I figured pink might be liked by any ladies I may take to the range.

Beagle does have some nice coverage!

I think my issues can be attributed to the 90% + humidity we have had for the past couple of weeks. I did these in Eastwood Hotcoat High Gloss Black and they did about the same.

Smoke's powder and Eastwood's are pretty much the same consistency, but Smoke has much better pricing. It was $10 for a 1/2 lb from Eastwood.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Master

I tried some the other day and it has been brutal with the heat and humidity. All the powder even came off the airsoft bb's and went straight to the bottom of the tumble bowl. I was trying to coat them outside on my porch. Then I took the operation inside and took the top off of the bowl for about an hour. Tried it again and very poor coverage. I'm going to give it a few days and try it again.

Boolit Buddy
    Arctic Cat Green from All Powder Paints. One coat is THICK. Tumbled for about a minute tops. ASBB DT Method.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0108[1].jpg  

Smoke's Carolina Blue
    Shake and Bake DT
    390 F for 12 minutes
    Can't get much better coverage with DT!

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Master
    Celem Your PDF is just what we need for checking paints. Thanks

Boolit Bub
    I've ordered powder twice now, and both times some, or all of the order has arrived fused into a block. its been replaced without fuss, but even so, has anyone else experienced this?

Quote Originally Posted by meicalnissyen View Post
    I've ordered powder twice now, and both times some, or all of the order has arrived fused into a block. its been replaced without fuss, but even so, has anyone else experienced this?
    Who did you get the powder from? Never had that happen to me, though my purchases are limited to HF and All Powder Paints.

Boolit Master

Never have had any problems with Smoke's powders.

I'm new to this........but, I tried the Harbor Freight red dry tumble and it worked for me. I baked in my little cheapo toaster oven that I use for Kydex but I noticed the oven just gets a little over 300F
    and not the 400F you all speak of. I checked it with my infrared thermometer. The results are fine @ a single coat. For you guys that are dealing with high humidity.........has anyone tried those little silica packets that say do not eat to bring the humidity down in your tub? Might be worth a try.

Boolit Bub
    PBTP, they are very good about the return process, but 2 out of 3 bags from 2 separate orders........

Boolit Bub
    Just to make sure. HF Red works for shake n bake, but HF Matte Black won't?

Cause I bought the Matte Black thinking there wouldn't be a difference but it isn't working out too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakybuffalo View Post
    Just to make sure. HF Red works for shake n bake, but HF Matte Black won't?

Cause I bought the Matte Black thinking there wouldn't be a difference but it isn't working out too well.
    Correct

Boolit Bub
    Bah, I even had the red in my hands but didn't like the lipstick look so I put it back. Oh well. Lesson learned, stick to the tried and true.

Smoke's clear PC on the right and uncoated on the left.

BBDT baked at 390 F for 12 minutes, single coating

PC coated on the left and uncoated on the right.

Before baking

After

- Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Buddy
    Those look great! I've got a 4 oz sample of that but haven't coated any yet. Did you Mic any of them for coating thickness?

We'll need a range report when available. I'm really sold on this stuff, and the Dry Tumble method with AirSoft BB's is just stupid easy. Some guys are just dumping them onto on a wire fabric "pan" and baking them. Just like that. The powder falls right through for reclaiming, then into the oven.

That's in the future experimentation list for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Whizzer View Post
    Those look great! I've got a 4 oz sample of that but haven't coated any yet. Did you Mic any of them for coating thickness?

We'll need a range report when available. I'm really sold on this stuff, and the Dry Tumble method with AirSoft BB's is just stupid easy. Some guys are just dumping them onto on a wire fabric "pan" and baking them. Just like that. The powder falls right through for reclaiming, then into the oven.

That's in the future experimentation list for me.
    Thanks, I did measure a couple and got .455. My uncoated casts were right at .452. All of the PC that I have got from Smoke has been top notch, I won't buy anything else. I pull mine out of the tub with hemostats without dumping the whole batch.
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

I want to thank all who have posted here for the valuable information provided. I just ordered an oven via Air Miles, 4lb of powder from PBTP - Sarah was very helpful, two Lee bullet sizers (.357 and .358) for 9MM and 38spl. If all this works out I may move on to .40cal and 45acp/45Colt.

Kinda like a new kid waiting for his first two wheeler to arrive. I'll post pictures once I get everything together. I need to find some Aluminum/Galvanized steel mesh to place the bullets on and four tupperware containers for the four colours I intend to use.

Question: will a non stick pan work as in the teflon product work as well as a mesh?

Thanks Again

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Non stick aluminum foil is the only thing PC coated boolits wont stick to when baked.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast