RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationPBcastco
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Definitive List - What powders work and what powders don't

Just completed my first ever batch of PC boolits, the results were fantastic!

I can't believe something worked so well on the first try, rarely do I find that to be the case in the reloading world

Using Super Durable Wet Black from PBTP I used the simple tumble method (for about 2-3 minutes in a white plastic little bucket) and then cooked on chicken wire for 10min at 400F

They sized just fine, and while some of them have missing splotches where they were touching other boolits while cooking, they all seemed to function just great.

Accuracy left some to be desired, at 7yrds they made a nice little group with my first few shots fired... but at 50ft they were sort of going all over the place, I'd say about 1' groups from a rest... this could however be a sizing issue, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the PC. Fired from a CZ P-09 in 9mm using the LEE TL356-124-2R

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	101817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	101818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	101819
    Sometimes a teacher, always a student.

Boolit Buddy
    I just got some Plum Purple, Mirror blue and Super durable wet black from All Powder paints. All three coated very easily in my walmart mixing bowl. (not cool whip but still has the "5") So far blue and purple passed the smoosh test.

Boolit Buddy
    I stopped by the local Sherwin Williams warehouse and talked to the powder coat folks and as said they only have it in 50lb containers. Both of the guys there were shooters. Told them what I wanted to do and spent an hour talking. They gave me a half pound of shiny black to try. Well theirs good news and bad. That stuff went on great good coverage and did not flake in a smash test. However after only 20 rounds it left a black streak which was kinda hard to get out (9mm). Looking on the data sheet it claimed to have a hardness of "H" I'm thinking that is a lead pencil hardness scale which is fairly soft. I'm going back and talk some more and see if I can't get something harder. The S&W is easy to put on looks good with one coat but maybe to soft. I am going to try again but cook them longer to see if that might help. They recommend 400 for 10. I'll report back in the next day or so.

I tried the Light Blue from Eastwoods, worked great using the dry tumble method. Hope this was of help.
    Quote Originally Posted by russs View Post
    Has anyone had any luck tumble coating with a blue color PC ? If so, would you post the brand and name. Thanks

Boolit Buddy

I use AllPowderPaints.com. High gloss Cobalt Blue, #5125AI13PC is beautiful deep blue with excellent single coat coverage. RAL6020 is a high gloss deep green. Really pretty. RAL4006 is a dark pink for the ladies. All three of these are great single coat covers.

I shake and bake. Bake at the manufacturers recommended time/temp. I do let the paint start to gloss over before I set the time. This usually takes 3-4 minutes. Using a cheap convection toaster oven. I shoot 300-400 rounds at a time on my outings in 9mm and 45acp. I've never had a single bit of fouling. My method: 1. Cast in my Lee moulds 2. Shake in plastic container with just enough powder to have a little residue left in the bowl after about 2 minutes of shaking. I do about 50-60 at a time. 3. Dump then out on parchment paper (dusted with powder the first use). 4. Wearing nitrile gloves with fingers dusted with powder paint I stand the bullets on oven tray lined with non-stick aluminum foil. 5. Cook as described above. 6. Let cool long until I can stand to touch them then just brush them off the foil. 7. When completely cool run them through my Lee push through sizer.

Here is my first attempt at dry tumbling. For the All Paints Powder Sassy Pink and Mirror Orange, I will in the future use the ES method (Especially the orange, the pink can work with DT but the Orange was not good looking at all) . Still both had acceptable coverage with 1 coat including the smash test and acetone test.

The SD wet black was exceptional, and I will use it for most of my dry tumbling in the future. No need for a second coat.

Name:	CameraZOOM-20140508014914953.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	104839

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like all the powders people have tried from PC suppliers such as PBTP and allpowderpaints.com work with the DT Shake and bake. Is that Correct so far?

Quote Originally Posted by lksmith View Post
    Looks like all the powders people have tried from PC suppliers such as PBTP and allpowderpaints.com work with the DT Shake and bake. Is that Correct so far?
    So far i have used HF red, and All powder mirror blue,and Kawasaki green.They all have worked very well with the dry tumble with as bbs.
    Durable black coming today from All powder,will give it a run and report back.

Super wet black from allpowder,,just out of oven. works perfect!!

Jimbo, ES or DT method? Either way they look great

Quote Originally Posted by ryokox3 View Post
    Jimbo, ES or DT method? Either way they look great
    I only use the DT method, works very well!

My first batch of PC Boolits. Some colors have been done before I know but I thought I would add them anyways.

Color: Kawasaki Green (PBTP)
    Number of Coats: 1
    Temp: 400-425 for 20 (preheated as I was doing a large batch)
    MoA Shake & Bake in Rubbermaid containers.
    Comments: Some spots not covered, likely due to my inexperience and or not enough Crossman BBs.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	106487

Color: HF Red & Kawasaki Green (PBTP)
    Number of Coats: 1
    Temp: 400-425 for 20 (preheated)
    Comments: A few coverage spots on the red but both colors work very well.

Name:	DSCN73632.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	106489

Color: JOLLIPOP BLUE (PBTP)
    Number of Coats: 2
    Comments: 1 coat suffices, but a second coat ensures a nice dark blue and complete coverage. I had one batch that i needed to add more powder on the second bake that didn't turn out as dark (see picture 2). The first picture is a single coat and bake. The second picture is a double.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	106491

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	106490

Color: HF Red then JOLLIPOP BLUE (PBTP)
    Number of Coats: 2
    Comments: It is hard to see in the photo but the red comes through just a bit. They turn a very dark purple almost black. I was just messing around to see what it would do, however there is a nice clean coat on the outside. I'm going to mess with this method with a few other colors.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	106492

All batches were smash tested and came out fine.
    Last edited by Dutchninja; 05-29-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Did you guys have to resize all of these bullets after coating them?
    Carrying heat in dry heat.
    God bless SB1070

Quote Originally Posted by AZPaul View Post
    Did you guys have to resize all of these bullets after coating them?
    You don't have to resize afterwards, but your boolits may be oversized. I do resize afterwards.

I only size after coating and it works fine for me with lee sizing dies
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master
    Well, I'm loaded for bear on this project; but the relative "humility" is near 100% outdoors and close to 70% indoors with the AC set at 70F. I reckon I had better wait, but I sure got the itch to try anyway. I have hollow pointed H&G 68 boolits, PBP Super Durable Wet Black, Super Durable Gold Nugget, and Super Durable Wet Blue. This should be cool beans for sure. Clue me in, is baking the dry tumbled boolits strictly an out doors proposition due to odor or fumes or could I chance this indoors?

prs

Boolit Buddy
    one powder that won't shake and bake is all powder paints, " sun gold", I could not get it to stick no matter how long I swirled and tossed them boolits. don't make the same mistake I did and pay 14.00 lb for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by hanleyfan View Post
    one powder that won't shake and bake is all powder paints, " sun gold", I could not get it to stick no matter how long I swirled and tossed them boolits. don't make the same mistake I did and pay 14.00 lb for nothing.

might want to try it again this January when the humidity is zip?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

Boolit Master
    Well, of the powders I listed above; the Super Durable Gold Nugget was easiest and best looking. The Super Durable Wet Black and the Super Durable Wet Blue worked well too. I took a few of the finished black boolits and a few of the blue ones to recoat with the Gold. The dry gold powder clung to them very well, but when it melted the under color mixed with the surface coat to give it a motley appearance like tarnished brass, but still a very smooth finish.

prs

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    Well, I'm loaded for bear on this project; but the relative "humility" is near 100% outdoors and close to 70% indoors with the AC set at 70F. I reckon I had better wait, but I sure got the itch to try anyway. I have hollow pointed H&G 68 boolits, PBP Super Durable Wet Black, Super Durable Gold Nugget, and Super Durable Wet Blue. This should be cool beans for sure. Clue me in, is baking the dry tumbled boolits strictly an out doors proposition due to odor or fumes or could I chance this indoors?

prs
    I have been doing it in my garage with the door closed... when weightlifting while cooking I got a little light headed but that could have been due to a supplement I was taking... i usually just go get something to drink or something while the power cooks. There is definitely a smell though and only had the one time it affected me noticeably.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast