RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxPBcastcoWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Definitive List - What powders work and what powders don't

To all you rifle powder coaters, what specific powder are you useing and where/who are you getting it from?
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

HF red & white.
    Whatever!

Ill add my powder to the list here, It is sherwin Williams brand Powdura TGIC powder, color is Equipment Blue. Below is a link to the msds and curing info.

http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/web...dno=PLS8-C0020

Tumbled on, Baked in un preheated toaster oven for 12-15min at ~375* Cures hard as rock, sizes easily, and is very shiny and slick. This is 3 coats but only 2 is necessary, more bullets tumbled at a time has proven better coverage with about a tablespoon of powder. These are .401 175g tc from a LEE mold using straight WW air cooled. Have shot them in 10mm and .40sw at about ~1100fps/1000fps respectively, with no fouling and with average fmj accuracy. Lots of fun!!

Attachment 100646
    Last edited by BT8850; 03-27-2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: fix attachment

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BT8850 View Post
    Ill add my powder to the list here, It is sherwin Williams brand Powdura TGIC powder, color is Equipment Blue. Below is a link to the msds and curing info.
    Attachment 100646

Where do you get this one? That looks like about what I'm looking for.

Boolit Master

My left over powder in the cool whip containers goes into a separate jar so I don't contaminate the clean powder. Every so often it gets put in the ES gun and I end up with ugly but serviceable pc bullets. After all it's not about the color
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I've just put in an order from PowderBuyThePound for 1lb of Super Durable Wet Black pc.

I am a 100% powder coat newbie, never tried this in my life, so this will hopefully be a testament to how easy the dry tumble method is for "any old idiot" (me).

Thanks for threads such as this one, it's given me massive amounts of very necessary info
    Sometimes a teacher, always a student.

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    Where do you get this one? That looks like about what I'm looking for.
    To be honest, I'm not sure where you can get it. It was given to me by a friend to mess with so I didn't have to buy any. I think he said he got it from a friend of his that had got some to use on a dirtbike frame. I'll have to see what more I can find out for ya, no guarantees. I apologize, I know this is the "definitive list" and I cant give a definitive answer on where to get it I'm not sure how many Sherwin Williams 'outlets' are around anymore but if you have one near you thats where I'd start looking if nothing turns up online. I'm going to try the Super durable wet black next as it seems to be giving just as good of results as the powder I have, as well as being easily replenishable.

The Sherwin Williams stuff appears to be pretty good quality but I didn't find any in small quantities, more like 55 gal. drums & 50# boxes.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    The Sherwin Williams stuff appears to be pretty good quality but I didn't find any in small quantities, more like 55 gal. drums & 50# boxes.
    I checked with the local Sherwin Williams retail outlet today and they do not stock PC powders and can not order them..

Boolit Master
    Well, I guess I'm getting into this powder-coating bit... just pulled the trigger on two pounds of PBTP powder, one Super Durable Wet Black, the other their Super Durable Wet White. Will let you all know how I do, planning on dry-tumbling these.

Quote Originally Posted by koehlerrk View Post
    Well, I guess I'm getting into this powder-coating bit... just pulled the trigger on two pounds of PBTP powder, one Super Durable Wet Black, the other their Super Durable Wet White. Will let you all know how I do, planning on dry-tumbling these.
    x2... Funny you posted that, my situation is almost identical. This will be my first time throwing my lot in with the powder coaters.

My PBTP order should be arriving today, perhaps tomorrow, and I will be dry tumbling as well.

Will be posting results in the coming day or two, I also bought Super Durable Wet Black, if it works I will be trying other colors too.

stoked to see the results~!
    Sometimes a teacher, always a student.

Boolit Master
    Well, from what folks here have done, it seems that the high-gloss powders seem to cover better when dry-tumbled, and according to the supplier, the "Super Durable" bonds to the underlying material better, so those two aspects combined should make for a top-notch bullet coating. Time, as always, will tell.

Is Powder buy the Pound a name of a company to order this colored powder form?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Yes that is their name... here is their website.

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/

They seem to be really good folks to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by koehlerrk View Post
    Yes that is their name... here is their website.

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/

They seem to be really good folks to work with.
    Thanks got a small order on the way. One more question or statement. Please correct me if I am wrong. Shake small amount of bullets with powder in a tupper ware type cantainer , remove bullets and place in a toaster type oven at about 300-400 degress for 10 to 20 minutes. Repeat this progess if need for a second coat. Size as normal! See some people say ground foil ? How are you guys grounding the foil when in a oven?

Banned

Use #5 Cool Whip. Needs to be #5. No need to ground anything, the Cool Whip tub should create some static electricity. I would go 400 for 10 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Use #5 Cool Whip. Needs to be #5. No need to ground anything, the Cool Whip tub should create some static electricity. I would go 400 for 10 mins.
    Thanks! Can't wait to try it out.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Yes - powderbuythepound.com. You can also order from allpowderpaints.com. They have cheaper prices and cheaper shipping. Super Durable Wet Black works great.

Eastwood hotcoat gloss black worked tumble lubing these lee 105 grain 358s and cost $9 for a half pound in ebay
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Mold
    Like to add that powderbythepound has a super durable wet blue that closely matches the sherwin Williams blue above, also tried red explosion and both worked well with the dry tumble method.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast