Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Definitive List - What powders work and what powders don't

Boolit Mold
    hello,
    sorry if I have not answered before, I have been busy and I am busy making cars to draw the bullets. I bought the powder in England and 1/2 lb it cost me $ 42-45.00 !! if I buy in USA for! / 2 lb it takes about $ 45-50.0, due to customs and transport costs in Italy. If instead a "friend" buys it in the US and sends it to me in private, I do not pay the customs! obviously the product is not new and the jar must be already opened (a gift or a product sent by a friend is not a commercial purchase and therefore the rules are different).

Boolit Mold
    I place you (if I can) the photo of the press I'm doing to sizer the bullets.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180523_130833.jpg 
Views:	2331 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	221954

Banned
    PPG White sticks great to the boolit but doesn't cover completely (make the boolit completely white with one coat) this would be a good additive to a poorer sticking PC

Boolit Master

I'm interested in getting in touch with Smoke for some clear powder coating … can't find a way to reach him. Could someone direct me please? Big Boomer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    I'm interested in getting in touch with Smoke for some clear powder coating … can't find a way to reach him. Could someone direct me please? Big Boomer
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/memb...9775-Smoke4320
    Send him a message.

Boolit Master

Thanks ThomR … need to order some of Smoke's powder. Big Boomer

Boolit Buddy
    Here's what's worked for me so far :

From Smoke:
    Clear
    Signal Blue
    Both of these coat nicely with the shake and bake method and cover well

From Eastwood:
    Mirror Green, Blue, Black
    Mirror Green and Black coated the best. Green came out a nice glossy hunter green, and Black was smooth and even. Blue didn't cover so well, and for some reason came out splotchy and kind of ugly. All were shake and bake applied

Powder by the Pound:
    Super Durable Wet Black. Same as the Mirror Black from Eastwood. Easy on, good coverage. I lined up a Mirror Black and a Wet Black side by side and couldn't tell the difference.

Boolit Buddy
    Eastwood Ford Dark Blue and Maroon works very well using shake & bake. The dark blue was done with Air soft BBs but the Maroon was just powder alone in the containers in the background. About 1 minute shake n swirl. 20min at 400.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0038.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	224054

Boolit Master

After a few rounds of powder coating with Smoke's clear and having no difficulties whatever, I'm convinced that any coverage or coating issues can be largely solved by taking the components into air-conditioning to do the coating process and problems disappear. For application I use an empty 2 lb. "plastic" gunpowder container with the # 2 in a triangle on the base (and a handy screw-on lid, too). Can't remember what gun powder came in the container. I peeled the label off and kept the cannister in case I might need it for something. Had no idea it would work for powder coating. I use the black air-soft BBs and about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of powder with about 100 to 150 .45 ACP boolits (Lee 230 gr. 2-lube groove boolit) or 200 or so 9mm boolits (Lee 125 gr. 6 cavity RN mould). Coverage is great and per Smokes instructions they cure fine and sticking together is not a great issue. I just pour them out on a coarse screen, shake off excess powder and BBs, separate them with a wood spoon so none are lying on top of each other and bake per the prescribed time. I also water drop after baking in order to hopefully recover some BHN. Can't do pics but with the clear the boolits just look like shiny cast boolits. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 09-08-2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: addition

Boolit Mold
    I searched for Smoke4320 to inquire about some of his powder without any luck.

I did contact PBTP and asked about the clear colors. Gal recommended the “Glass Clear” and I’m wanting to preserve the “natural” cast look.

Anyone use the “Glass Clear” from PBTP? How were your results?

Quote Originally Posted by GeesCreek View Post

I did contact PBTP and asked about the clear colors. Gal recommended the “Glass Clear” and I’m wanting to preserve the “natural” cast look.

I havent tried PBTP but smokes clear works for me. tumbled without bbs or any other fuss. Post 245 in this thread will gitchcha' to where you can message mr Smoke4320 if youd still like to try his powders.
    Good luck

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GeesCreek View Post

TRY HERE http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...owder-For-sale

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone looked one of the metalic coatings? They would look cool but I'm thinking there would be an abrasive in it.

Boolit Master

+1 on HF red
    -1 on HF Black or Yellow (jury still out on HF White)
    got lucky with poly-based blue (similar to eastwood) from ebay but not so much on darker, flat colors.
    all shake-n-bake method

Banned
    My favorite PC is SEMI-GLOSS METALLIC SILVER
    works:
    SEMI-GLOSS TEXTURE METALIC CHROME

HiTek coating has metal flakes in it to help act as a heat barrier and is used commercially world wide

FYI
    DU PONT RAL 1001 PFTR01S7
    POLYESTER TGIC FREE
    BEIGE POWDER COAT AXALT

Boolit Mold
    Great results with Powder By The Pound Durable Clear and White Silver.

I coated some 44 Keith's and some 32 H & R bullets today with the clear, 40 degrees in the shop with 100% humidity and was able to get perfect coverage with tumble and air soft bbs.

Those 2 colors have always worked for me. Dupont black also covers well.

OK...I found my powder supplier information. It may have been posted before here but I wasn't going to look through all 7 pages to find out.

I have been using Absolute Powder Coating powders with good luck and no issues with my boolits. Shake and Bake method.

I've been baking these powders at 400* and 18 minutes.

RAL 6002 Leaf Green
    RAL 1023 Traffic Yellow
    RAL 5017 Traffic Blue
    RAL 2004 Pure Orange

http://www.absolutepowdercoating.com/index.html

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    This thread has been inactive for nearly a year. Does that mean the all questions have been answered and the best application method and products have been discovered?

From my reading of the posts the dry tumble air soft powder coat method is the most popular application method.

I have tried this method and find some less than ideal features:
    1. Adds significantly to the diameter of the bullet.( this can be adjusted for)
    2. Each bullet must be handled and placed upright on oven tray. (can't seem to get around this).

The electrostatic method works well but to me seems to be a pain in the rear and requires equipment that costs more than other methods. The two objections listed above for dry tumble also apply here.

The Hi-Tek product and method appear to answer my two objections re: thickness and handling but require more coats to get adequate coverage.

I have not tried any method but airsoft dry tumble and only HF Red, with the above mentioned objections.

I would appreciate comments on my observations.
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Banned
    rocky, depending on the PC and how thick you put it on (how much material you tap/shake off) PC adds .001 to .003. this isn't an issue because you can easily size the boolit down to where you want it, and is helpful if you have an undersized mold or oversized bore.

I have found that there are several pc's where you swirl the boolits, dump them in a colander and shake off the excess then dump them on a baking screen and get almost no sticking.

there are many different qualities of PC, HF red is near the bottom of the list for PC the works easily.

Boolit Buddy
    Conditor22 says:

"I have found that there are several pc's where you swirl the boolits, dump them in a colander and shake off the excess then dump them on a baking screen and get almost no sticking."

Conditor22, thanks for your reply. What powders do you recommend that you can dump on a screen without sticking? Is it color dependent, vendor dependent what makes the non-sticking difference.
    Thanks,
    Rocky
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast