WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Definitive List - What powders work and what powders don't

My son likes the zombie green bullets. I tried the Kawasaki green powder from Columbia Coating and it tumbles fantastic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170521_211524-600x470.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	196594

Name:	20170521_211356-600x470.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	196596

Name:	20170521_211508-600x470.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	196597

Boolit Mold
    From Panama City FL, but living in South GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout800a View Post
    I just got some Plum Purple, Mirror blue and Super durable wet black from All Powder paints. All three coated very easily in my walmart mixing bowl. (not cool whip but still has the "5") So far blue and purple passed the smoosh test.
    Scout800a, What is this #5 you speak of? This is the second post in the thread referring to #5 and the cool whip container.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Muddawg900 View Post
    Scout800a, What is this #5 you speak of? This is the second post in the thread referring to #5 and the cool whip container.
    The #5 is the recycle symbol usually on the bottom of a container. Comes in that triangle with 3 arrows. Most of the time I have to put my reading glasses on to see it well.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    Mr. Evans, congratulations on your retirement! Worked at a powder coating company? How cool is that. I never considered getting powder coat equipment until I started ESPCing my boolits. I've even done some ASBBDT coating with good success. Anyway, I'm sure you will become a popular guy with all of your knowledge and experience. I sent you a private message.
    Fcvan, what is ASBBDT coating? Thanks
    -Jacob

Banned
    Looks like Air Soft BB's Dry Tumbling ie shake and bake

Boolit Mold
    Ah thank you! I'll have to look for a container with that marking. I'm currently using a betty crocker tupperware, that I'm guessing isn't #5.

Boolit Mold
    Grmps, thank you. For some reason that connection wasn't made...... I just recently started PCing my boolits for my 9mm truncated cone to run through my glock for match shooting. Started with HF red, have had mixed results on quality all dry tumble but not always with the airsoft bbs. Wondering if that's the way I should be going? Some were good with one coat, some were very blotchy and needed a second coat. Have loaded up but not shot, hopefully shooting them soon.

Boolit Mold
    CGT80, have you had a chance to shoot the pink boolits yet? If so, how did they perform? Any pictures of how the color and coating turned out? Thanks

Jacob

Banned
    HF (HARBOR FREIGHT) red can work but is not one of the better powders. Any powder you get from smoke will be a good powder, tested tried and true, much easier to use than HF powders. He also sells black BB's. If you get the wrond type of BB's they will not help with adhesion. With these powders you need to knock/shake,bump off all excess powder so you get a smooth coat

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Grmps, I will be looking into getting some powder from Smoke soon. And for the bb's I do understand what you mean. I cast with a friend of mine and he had some white (.12 if I remember correctly) bb's that he gave me to use. They worked ok and still coated fair enough to bake and load but certainly could be better. I just started DT my boolits so I've only done a couple batches worth. This thread has helped me a great deal. Thanks again.

they look real good guys ,I might give this a try myself

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    I have had good luck with
    RL Treats - Extra Thick Non Stick Grill Mat Toaster Oven Liner- BBQ Grilling Accessories - Sheets for Gas Grills - Set of 3 Mats - 15.75 x 13 - Teflon Coated

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I22X2FW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I use nonstick aluminum foil. especially since there's an off brand. I wrap the tray that came with the oven in it.
    WOrks surprisingly well

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by russs View Post
    Has anyone had any luck tumble coating with a blue color PC ? If so, would you post the brand and name. Thanks
    Yes blue goes on great,i use Smokes

Banned
    Smokes RAL 5012...Carolina blue is an excellent blue.

I picked up some BONDED BLACK CHROME from PBTP and also I had some Solar Rain from either them or prismatic PLUS I had some Mirror Red or High Gloss Red and the red was a base coat (not that great) but with the Solar Rain over it- it was pretty sweet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT7570.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	205300

I really like the Bonded Black Chrome look. I found some other Chrome called SUPER Chrome at either PBTP or Prismatic as well but I did not buy it yet. I think I will wait. It is supposed to be a good base for others.

Boolit Bub
    I don't cast,yet, so I buy,anyway I have some Hornady frontier lead swc/hp's and can't get pc to stick. Any thoughts?I use Smokes and I removed lube. Thanks

Boolit Bub
    smoke has a signal blue,very nice

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Smokes RAL 5012...Carolina blue is an excellent blue.
    agreed, great color
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Bub
    +1 Smokes work, shake and bake 15min @400

i got a fair bucket full of floor sweepings from a powder coat shop i get a broad variety of colors even in the same bake of boolits. however to get it to coat the boolits i have to put an 1/8cup powder and 1/8cup ASBB's into my extra vibratory polisher and run 3-4hrs. dump into a fine strainer to get powder away then a more open screen to separate BB's and knock surplus powder off for smooth coat.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast