RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: caliber

Boolit Grand Master

caliber

Is there a caliber that you find particularly hard to get accuracy out of?
    I think I have the hardest time with the 45 colt 44's seem easy 480 Rug is easy 357 is easy but the ol colt not so much.....How about you ??
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

For me the smaller the bore the harder they are to get to shoot well. Particularly below 35 cal. That's not to say I dont work with them enough as I shoot lots of 25 and 32s

45 colt was the easiest, 45acp and 38spl to follow. 9mm was the toughest, mostly random flyers.

Well.. the 25 acp is a real pita..... but the wife loves it, so I must labor on... The mean mention of 25 acp in the reloaders contains a disclaimer to be under 5 feet for good accuracy.. LOL

Boolit Grand Master
    Of the common revolver cartridges, I have to concur that the 45 Colt has been the most difficult to get good groups out of.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I found the 45 Colt also, the most problematic; especially in the gun that I started with. It is a Ruger NMBH 45/45. The bore slugged fine but the chamber throats were all over the place and all way too small. I got that corrected by reaming all chambers in both cylinders. Much better but still not as good as should be. I have a lot of slop in the base pin/cylinder. Going to get a Belt Mtn pin and see.

Banned

The smaller calibers for me, nine, ACP and .357 not easy and it just starts to get better with the .44 and even it can get picky with weather changes.

Boolit Master
    The 45 Colt is difficult, the cylinder throats are oversized in the Colt and Italian copies, the chambers are oversized near the case rim, the bores are too tight in the Colt, the rifling is too shallow in the bore, the reloading dies have oversized case mouth expanders. More .45 Colt's have blown up at cowboy matches than .38's. Other calibers, .44 Special, .35 are less problematic.

Boolit Master

for me a 9MM and i also had one 44mag that was very particular in its diet

Boolit Master

Both of my 45's shoot better than I can aim and hold about 4" at 40 yards.I hit more with the colt apc than colt 45.This is shooting off hand.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Buddy
    in my limited reloading experience id say light gr (like 110 125) .357. 158s work perfect everytime so now I don't even bother with the light stuff anymore

Boolit Master
    Another for the .45. Easiest are 44 and 41 for me.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

The .10 LR has been eating my lunch for a while, although AA#2 has seemed to work better than bullseye. The hell of it is you go through all that time to form the case and only shoot it once. BUT! I can say I have one and I shoot it. I have a whole slew of .10, .12, and .14's I really love the little ones.

Boolit Master

I have never been able to get acceptable accuracy out of any 9mm Auto.
    Never owned a revolver.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

For me right now it is 9mm have been trying different weights of bullets to see if there is a difference.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Funny how we each get different results with the various calibres.

For me, my most accurate revolvers are a 32 Smith & Wesson and a 32/20 Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector.

Getting uniform ballistics out of the cavernous 45 Colt case has always been a challenge for me, yet accuracy hasn't been too hard to come by.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetzer View Post
    Funny how we each get different results with the various calibres.

For me, my most accurate revolvers are a 32 Smith & Wesson and a 32/20 Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector.

Getting uniform ballistics out of the cavernous 45 Colt case has always been a challenge for me, yet accuracy hasn't been too hard to come by.
    Me too.

K-32

Sub one inch six shot groups at 25 yards every single time.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    7.62x25. The bullets are so stubby and the neck so short that its a real challenge to seat them straight.

Boolit Master
    For me it was the 9mm. I've got a bunch of different 9mm pistols and getting an accurate load that didn't lead in any of them was impossible. Best I found after a couple years experimenting was a 135 grain Ranch Dog mold lubed with 45/45/10, and loaded with Unique.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    I have been able to get good accuracy with most any caliber provided I find the correct combination of bullet weight/style and powder charge. Most difficult has been getting a load that shoots accurately out of over 1/2 dozen .357Mag revolvers.
    I am just now working toward a good load for multiple firearms in 9mm...after getting reliable functioning we will strive for accuracy.
    I have two autoloaders to establish loads for with another in the near future...l do have a 9mm cylinder for one of my BlackHawks that I may decide to experiment with also (if and when I get a good load with the autoloaders).