RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .32 levergun

Boolit Mold

.32 levergun

Does any gun manufacture make a leveraction 32long? I'd love to start squirrel hunting with bullets I cast myself rather than pay for 22lr. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    You might think of trying a 32-20 lever gun, it will do all you want from pop can loads to deer loads. I have an old 92 Win. in that cal. and it is a dream to shoot. Low powered loads you don't even need ear plugs! It has a lot more uses than a 32 long would. Best regards, the toolman.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Marlin used to make a .32 H&R Mag. 1894 Cowboy.

A .32-20 is much more easily obtained than a .32 Mag. With any .32, you had better check your bank roll but it may well be the most versatile, useful rifle you ever own. Mine has become just that.

Boolit Master

What they said, but dont over look the 25wcf/25-20 either.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    What they said, but dont over look the 25wcf/25-20 either.
    Seem to be a few nice 25-20's around where I'm looking, better shape than the 32-20's. I have moulds & dies for the 32-20, may run across a nice one someday.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    You can buy a .30/30 for under $300 - cast a 311441 (115 gr) - load it over 7 gr of Promo for about 1400 fps for an inexpensive load. Brass is easy to find and the gun will be less than half the price of a shootable .32/20 or .32 Mag.

The same gun can be loaded with a cast 170 gr bullet to 2200 fps for deer/hogs/black bear.

Plus you can scope a .30/30 without buggering up the collector value of a .32/20.

Don Verna

Boolit Master

I have a Browning (Miroku) Mod.53 32/20 that I have used to squirrel hunt with. If you like to eat'em, even light loaded with 100gr Lee roundnose boolet (can't recall the mold no.) it's a bit much. Just sayin' (as my kids say to me all the time). Shoot straight, T-Bird

Boolit Man
    I agree with the other posters on the 25-20 and 32-20. I don't consider either a politically correct deer cartridge with factory ammo outside of a survival situation(just my opinion so don't beat me up). The 25-20 is a little flatter shooting (my favorite) but if your a good shot a very light loaded 32-20 is said to have slightly less report but more bullet arc. Like you I think a 32S&W long has a place but not in a lever gun. I think trappers and small game hunters would greatly benefit from a single shot in this caliber. Just last week I was figuring cost of me building a barrel for my contender in 32 long with a form 1 suppressor for trapping and squirrel. The 32 long can be loaded very hot in a strong action and has a fairly large selection of bullets. I'm 6 months off from having my shop set up to do this but thought about putting out some feelers to see if there is an interest in pistol/rifle barrels for the Rossi/ H&R/ Contender type actions (without the silencer of course). I figured if there was enough interest to offset the cost of reamers and crowning tools I might consider playing with this caliber a little more.

Boolit Master
    James6600, had you considered 32 H&R or 327 fed for flexibility in a rifle setup? 327 fed is pretty impressive out of a rifle and sneaks into 357 mag territory with less lead and powder expended. The biggest issue (in my mind) with current examples is a .308" tube, instead of the correct .312". YMMV.

Boolit Man
    singleshot, I figured I could use a 327 mag. reamer and cut the chamber short for 32S&W long then cut the rim recess on the lathe, that would give me the versatility for a 32mag and a dedicated 32 long or short chamber without the gas blow by, whatever an individual wanted. My equipment is older and every step requires the same setup as the prototype hence the same amount of labor (repeatability by judicious measurement). You are right on barrel diameter being an issue and don't forget twist to stabilize bullets in the 70-115 grain range. I haven't called barrel makers to see which ones can supply pistol twist & groove barrels yet but 32S&WL is still used as a competition round so some one is making them. I'm still in the calculating feasibility and cost stage. Standard twist for .312" barrels vary between 1-10 to 1-16 and we are talking about a wide range in velocity and bullet weight. When you throw in the magnum 32's I think it all starts to be compromise on twist and bullet stabilization plus the meat and hide damage is outside the range of the hunter/trapper. I'm not throwing the idea out by any means I just need to do more research. This idea started as me not wanting to pay $400 for a custom contender barrel in an oddish caliber that I feel is way more effective than that unobtainable dirty rimfire. By the way I just realized I am hijacking this thread, I apologize. When I have something more substantial I will post in the proper area.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Lee 113 grain soup can is a dandy in my .30 WCF Marlins. I load 'em a bit stout with 20 grains of H4227 but I'm sure 10 grains of Unique would work too. I love the .32-20 and similar cartridges but shooting them nowadays is an expensive proposition. The last 1894CL I saw locally was priced at $1100.00 firm and someone happily paid it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

This may seem a little over powered but the 357 also makes an excellent small game rifle with reduced 38 special loads. I have killed a few small critters with a 38 revolver with no excess damage (no more than a 22hp) 357's are less expensive than you can generally find the 32-20's or 25-20's. I have a 32-20 and will agree with others that it is a better choice than a 32 long would be. While I sold the 357 and kept the 32-20 it was as much a rifle issue as the caliber. 38's are cheaper to shoot and more available while a 32-20 is strickly a handloaders proposition for me.

DP

Boolit Mold
    After evading all these posts I'm almost afraid to get into casting. It could become an obsession.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by marc257 View Post
    After evading all these posts I'm almost afraid to get into casting. It could become an obsession.
    Reading not evading.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Seem to be a few nice 25-20's around where I'm looking, better shape than the 32-20's. I have moulds & dies for the 32-20, may run across a nice one someday.
    For plinking or hunting small game, a 25-20 would be ideal. A reloadable .22 if you will, but in 25. I would think there is a better selection of 30 cal. molds and bullets for the 32-20. Either would be a welcome addition to one's battery.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The Lee .358-125-RF is a great boolit for lever actions. Smooth feeding and easy on your lead supply.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Reading not evading.
    Lots easier on the wallet to "evade". JW

Go with .310 groove. My Ruger Single Six shoots like the proverbial house o' fire. Handles bullets and boolits 60 grains and up.
    Myself, i would like a 327 in a Contender or Handi.

Barrelshttp://www.gmriflebarrel.com/7-62x39...4-x-1-35-4140/

Contender barrel stub kits(Dunno if they are still available)http://www.eagleviewarms.com/
    Last edited by Dark Helmet; 01-27-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Not a chance, nothing to worry about, I can quit any time I want....
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast