RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Series 80

Boolit Grand Master

Read Char-Gar's post a couple more times and you are done.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Yup, I checked my mould, it's 452423.

bhn22
    I've tried that bullet in my Series 80 and it worked fine. In fact, I can't remember a single bullet ever failing to feed as long as I did my part in loading. Note the bullet depth in Chargars earlier pic. That's exactly where my 1911 liked them, with just a sliver of the shoulder above the case mouth. Since you already have the mold, it won't hurt to try a few. You're not going to be stuck with round nose bullets in your gun, if it's anything like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I just may be a picky old esso bee, but mixing 45 Colt loads into a thread about 45 ACP reloading without clearly labeling each post as such, is not a very smart idea. Folks will read this stuff and won't take time to read back through all of the posts to get the context. Yea, I know I am a jerk, but somebody has to call balls and strikes on this stuff.
    I agree completely.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Buddy
    I set mine to 1.160 oal and it feeds well in every different 45 I have.

Boolit Master
    I just may be a picky old esso bee, but mixing 45 Colt loads into a thread about 45 ACP reloading without clearly labeling each post as such, is not a very smart idea. Folks will read this stuff and won't take time to read back through all of the posts to get the context. Yea, I know I am a jerk, but somebody has to call balls and strikes on this stuff.
    Thank you, it took me a second to recognize the intent of the recipe.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Your boys need to be more careful with your numbers...

Lyman 454424 is the 260 grain Keith bullet for the 45 Colt round.
    Lyman 452423 is the 235 grain Keith bullet for the 45 Auto Rim round

There is NO 454423..it does not exist.

452423 will weight 230 grains from Linotype and about 242 grains from ACWW. Loaded over 4.5 to 4.7 grains of Bulleye is makes a decent load for the 45 ACP round and will feed in most but not all 1911 pistols. The trick is to seat the bullet down with just enough body of the bullet above the case to get a decent taper crimp. Here is a pic of the round so loaded. I shoot these in my 1911s as well as my Smith and Wesson 625 for bowling pin shooting. They clear the pin off the table with any fair hit.

For the fellow looking for a bullet mold to start with for loading the 45 ACP round in a 1911 pistol, I would suggest either of;

Hensley and Gibbs #68 or a clone
    Lyman 452460
    RCBS 230 Cowboy bullet

452423 IS NOT the bullet to start with.

Size all bullets for the 45 ACP round (in a 1911 pistol) .452 and never look back.
    I am the one who misspoke on the mold number. The others just responded to my mistake. Of course, I do not have a Lyman mold, mine is from one of the GBs here on the site.

Thank you for the advice and I will try to find a few of the bollits you mention to try out prior to getting a mold cut.

bhn22
    SAECO 058 is another good SWC design that works well in my guns. However, it is very similar in profile to your Keith design, and there probably wouldn't be any appreciable advantage to buying one. Especially when you take into account the bevel base, which makes for more work with some sizers.
    Last edited by bhn22; 01-13-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Hand loading can be dangerous business IF a fellow isn't paying close attention to what he is doing and saying. You are turning loose allot of hot gas under pressure, held in a little brass jug, just inches from your hands, eyes and ears.

Substitute a heavier bullet for a lighter bullet because somebody got the mold numbers mixed up and that might lead to problems. Substitute a power charge for intended for a larger case for the proper powder charge in a smaller case and you can have problems. The number of mistakes almost have no end.

This site gets visited by many folks just sticking their toe in the water of reloading and bullet casting. Mistakes that are obvious to folks who have spend lots of time at the rodeo are invisible to these folks. We therefore have a responsibility to these folks to make certain what we post can't be misconscrewed and get folks hurt. This is not just a place where the cognoscente hang out. At least that is the way I look at these things.

I know I irritate folks at times with my seeming picky ways, but I am just "trying to look out for the folks". I heard that last phrase somewhere. I take no pleasure in irritating folks just for the sake of being a jerk.

When I started out with serious shooting and handloading in the late 50's, I was mentored by a bunch of older men who were more concerned about my well being and those around me, than they were about my feelings. Later, I learned the Cowboy trade from a bunch of older men who were for more interested in me "making a hand", than in coddling my feelings. Standing in the waters of calm reflection, I don't think the early rebukes did me any harm, but helped form my character and life in a positive way. I just hope that still works that way. We seem to be living in a touchy feely times, so the old ways may not work any more.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 01-13-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    I am the one who misspoke on the mold number. The others just responded to my mistake. Of course, I do not have a Lyman mold, mine is from one of the GBs here on the site.

Thank you for the advice and I will try to find a few of the bollits you mention to try out prior to getting a mold cut.
    Both the Hensley and Gibbs 68 and Lyman 452460 were head to head competitors in Bulleye pistol shooting during the 40's, 50' and 60's. Both had their fans and both won matches.

I have always liked the Lyman bullet better, because it had a longer body which I felt took the rifling better. But that is something for which I have no proof and probably isn't true. In my mind, it just looks better, so it must be better.

While both bullets were designed for powder puff target loads, they hold their accuracy when pushed to full velocity (850 - 900 fps). They make great field and social bullets as well. They really are all purpose bullets that will feed well in most any 1911 pistol.

The RCBS Cowboy bullet is late on the scene and not designed for the 45 ACP round in the 1911 pistol, but has been adapted to it with much success. It was the basis for several modifications we did as group buys several years ago.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 01-13-2014 at 06:51 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Please accept my apology for mucking up this post. I wrongly diverted the 454423 on a semi-auto post into the direction of the little used Schofield revolver cartridge.

When asked for my load data I wrongly thought I was responding to author of the original post. I didn't double check my assumption.

Then I asked for clarification if I was being asked for my revolver load data or my ACP load data, but I did not wait for that clarification before I posted my load data for the revolver, on a ACP post.

I carried the mold number 454423 along without checking that my mold is 452423, a mistake because I keep an eye out for the difference between 454424 and 452424, and I was unaware 454423 was never made.

I appreciate Char-Gar for getting my feet back on the ground and reminding me to keep my eyes open well before howling off with data out of place. Great moderating.

Silver, my ears/eye perk up ever time the bullet is mentioned for 452423 has have a favorite of mine for 50 years. Here is an article I wrote about my early experiences with it some years back. It was first published in The Fouling Shot (Cast Bullet Association) and then John Taffin picked it up and placed it on his site.

452423 has made a real comeback from the time I wrote this piece. I am surprised how many people use it and how many folks have made clones of this bullet. Since the time I wrote this Glen Fryxell gave me an older Lyman 4 cavity mold and I bought one of our 6 hole custom Lee molds when we did a series of group buys. Glen is a HP nut and sent me a bunch of 452423 HPs to test from an original Lyman mold in his collection. This occasioned me to have Buckshot HP my original old Idea SC mentioned in the article.

A few years back some of the guy did lots of research on the original Keith designs and produced all of them again in Lee custom molds. They did an excellent job and I have the full set. I have three or four thousand of them sitting around the shop waiting to be flung downrange. Enjoy..

http://www.sixguns.com/crew/cba.htm
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 01-13-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Just picked up a Series 80 in 45 ACP. I have been reading the stickies and searching through old threads. Lots of stuff to figure out for this old revolver fan. One thing I know, I will need some different boolit molds. All of mine are fit for revolvers, maybe one will work in the 1911, the Lyman 454423. The others are heavier and SWC or RNFP. They might work but I figure to start out with the standards and learn the basics. I have been down this road before and usually end up getting rid of the self loader and getting another revolver, but I really want to like the 1911. Maybe this time.

Anyway, back to the stickies!
    Is the gun stainless Or blue?
    I believe the stainless s'80 pistols came standard with a throated barrel, which was said to substantially improve feeding reliability with various blunt nosed bullets suck as hollowpoints & match semi-wadcutters.

I'm sure with some tinkering you will find a load that works for you.

Good luck, and congratulations on your new acquisition.

Boolit Master
    This is a blued pistol, apparently unfired since leaving the factory or fired very little. I am very new to the 1911 but very fond of the 45 ACP cartridge and load it for several revolvers. I will tread lightly and cautiously into the arena of self loaders as I know very little about them. I am possibly alone in this area as most fellows my age are well schooled in the platform. I am interested in boolit shapes and will be buying castings for the first bit. When I find something that works, then I will get the mold.

I already load the 452423 for my revolvers and will try that, just not right away.

Boolit Master
    Char-Gar, great article, I really enjoyed it. I have a few 452423 cast up and lubed just sitting ready for loading. I'm going to have to come up with a recipe for them. With I had a .45 AR revolver.

My current load for the the .45 ACP in my Colt 1911's is 452374 with 6.0 to 6.5 gr of Unique. I don't have my chronograph data in front of me for this load.

Boolit Master
    This followed me home, can I keep it?

Dan Wesson CCO. The price was right!

Boolit Master
    NO. Young man, you need to learn responsibility. Ship it to me right now, and if you learn the error of your ways, in a few years we can talk about it!
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Grand Master

452423 will almost certainly work, but I strongly agree with gray wolf - get a
    good copy of an H&G 68 (with 452460 as a VERY good alternative, but only
    99.8% as reliable a feeder - really) and use it.

ALSO - KEY POINT: Taper crimp as a separate operation to about .466 or so,
    NOT crimping as you seat which works fine in revolver boolit designs like
    the 452423, if you seat to an LOA which puts the crimp in the crimp groove.

IME - a real H&G 68 seated to 1.250 to 1.260 LOA and taper crimped to .466 will
    pretty much guarantee to feed in a 1911.

Bill

Banned
    Taper crimp to .466? I can get .470 when I measure mine.

Boolit Grand Master

IMO, .470 tc is asking for a failure to close. It will work most of the time, in most
    guns, but that isn't good enough for me. IME, the most common failure to feed
    in a 1911 for new reloaders has been inadequate taper crimp. There is no downside
    to going about .004 tighter and the benefit is elimination of that every-once-in-a-while
    failure to close.

With no excuses in IPSC competition, where I spent three decades competing, you
    get to be totally committed to 100% reliable ammo.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 08-02-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast