WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 35 Whelen Redux

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, nice shooting. I think you're onto something. I have IMR and Hodgdon 4350, my 30-06 likes H4350. That's a pretty stout load but my lube and boolit work OK at those speeds, just need more consistency in the powder charge. I agree that a more aggressive crimp is part of the key to this round, at least with the powders we're using. 2400 sounds about right, maybe a bit conservative.
    Thanks for the tips, they're going in my load notes.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Got a new can of imr 4350(couldn't find any h4350) this week and tried it again with a pretty hard crimp. Shot two 5 shot groups each with 54 and 54 1/2 gr and the 200 gr. noe. and the groups stayed well under an inch. 55 gr. went just over an inch and 56 gr. was a shotgun pattern. Doesn't burn as clean in my rifle as h4895 but it sure seems consistent. So far it's grouping much better than my 4895 loads at what i think is a faster speed.(no chrono) I've still gotta hand full of those THOR boolits you sent...gotta try them next with the 4350. Wish i could find a can of h4350 locally to try...it seems to be scarce around here for now.

BTW i'm using homeade al. checks .014" annealed now. They stick on firm but not quite as tight as the hornadys. Evidently their staying on the boolit to the target. They wouldn't shoot much at all past 2000 fps.. then i tried annealing them and they seem to shoot as well as commercial checks now.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting. I didn't get good results with 4350 in my Whelen but my loads were much more conservative than yours.
    Have seen very little Hodgdon powder for awhile, stocked up on H4350 after I found my 30-06 liked it....just months before powders disppeared.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Time to move forward on this project before it gets too hot! Decided to get brave and glassbed the recoil lug on Ol' Ugly. Discovered most of the woodwork was already done, only needed some minor relieving. This time tomorrow I'll know if I did it right. This time next week I'll know if it helped!

Banned

Nice! Keep us posted.

I'm working with the NOE version of the rcbs 35-200, WQ WW's and 51gr of IMR4895 for around 2400 fps and good accuracy.

Hoping I can be real consisitent for practicing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    Nice! Keep us posted.

I'm working with the NOE version of the rcbs 35-200, WQ WW's and 51gr of IMR4895 for around 2400 fps and good accuracy.

Hoping I can be real consisitent for practicing.
    I like that boolit, Blammer. Rifle isn't so sure so may revisit it at a later time. Your load is pretty close to where I am, 47 grs IMR4895 under the RD 359-190. I suspect you're going a little faster than you think. I'm using the same alloy (and boolit) that works in my 35 Rem; HT 50/50 plus a little tin. I think I'm running 2200-2300 but haven't checked lately. I think I'm at the limit for my alloy so may have to skip or cut back on the Pb. I think I'll start over again @ 47grs IMR4895 but 35 shooter nas convinced me to invade my IMR/H4350 stash to see how it works in the 35 Whelen. I bought it for a j-word rifle so it's no big deal.
    Bedding turned out quite well, all things considered.

TxGuNut if you try 4350 i hope it works for you. Old contrary loves it, just remember i named that rifle for a reason....it loves it or hates it, there's absolutely no grey area to it with that rifle. It's about made me pull what hair i've got left out a few times..lol. I went back today and worked with one of the lighter loads with a tighter crimp (50 gr.) and put 5 in about a quarter size group @ 100 yd. so maybe i found a lighter load with it. The heavier loads held up again so it looks like the juries in on it and all this was with a different lube. I think i'm gonna like the lube too. Only problem the powder's about gone...only had the one can.

Got lucky on the imr 4350. Same store i got the one pound at has about 60 to 70 pounds in now. They even have some bullseye which has been scarce locally for quite a while. Hopefully i'll get stocked on some by the end of the week.

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats on the powder score! If I walked into a store with 60-70 lbs I wouldn't know what to think. It's been quite some time since I've seen more powder in a store than I have on my shelves...and I'm still looking for more!

Banned

used the old chronograph 2475fps. saying 2500fps just sound Sooo FAST, so I say 2400fps.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    used the old chronograph 2475fps. saying 2500fps just sound Sooo FAST, so I say 2400fps.
    I'm beginning to think the 35 Whelen is happiest above 2300 and 2500 isn't out of reach. I've been looking for a load around 2100 but just can't get the consistency I'm looking for. Some of my better loads ES wise were around 2400 IIRC but I haven't taken the Chrony out in awhile. I've learned I shoot better with the Chrony behind me in my car, not out front distracting me.
    I'll be sitting down with load notes (and forum notes) to load a few tomorrow night. Ol' Ugly doen't much like the heat much any more so I better get things figured out soon.

Banned

I never worried about vel in my whelen, just accuracy. then I chrono'ed to see what I had.

all of my lighter loads just didn't cut the mustard accuracy wise.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm taking the same approach, Blammer. I'm not giving up on the lighter loads but I don't think recoil will be an issue until above 2500 fps in this rifle. When I find a load it likes I'll set up the Chrony, I've got a pretty good idea how fast it's going anyway. Loaded 10 rds of your 51 gr load to settle it back into the stock, then I'll load some ladder loads with IMR4895 amd IMR or H4350.

You realize of course there is at least 3 seperate whelen tests ongoing on cast boolit forums right now? It just doesn't get any better than that! At least as far as i'm concerned it doesn't. I can't wait for all the results! Was gonna skip shooting this week end but with all this going on.....no way i can just go fishing now.

gotta love a 35 whelen , but i couldnt decide ......... so i got a 35 winchester also
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    You realize of course there is at least 3 seperate whelen tests ongoing on cast boolit forums right now? It just doesn't get any better than that! At least as far as i'm concerned it doesn't. I can't wait for all the results! Was gonna skip shooting this week end but with all this going on.....no way i can just go fishing now.
    Yes, been studying them pretty close and now that I've probably overcome any shortcomings the rifle had I'll be able to move forward. It was tough picking a load for tomorrow's range trip but it doesn't matter much, just want to get the rifle ready for some serious load work.
    Come to think of it, haven't been fishing since I started casting.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by badbobgerman View Post
    gotta love a 35 whelen , but i couldnt decide ......... so i got a 35 winchester also
    I understand totally, my 35 Rem is headed to the range tomorrow also. Now that it has new glass I'm looking forward to trying some of those 360-235 Thor boolits in it. It does quite well with the RD 359-190 but I figure it's worth a try. If that doesn't work out someone about 600 miles east of here won't be going fishing anytime soon.

Bet it shoots that Thor boolit like it was made for it. If it does it'll be a hammer for sure.....there's just something about that boolit. Cuts clean holes on targets too. Who's got time to fish....it's whelen time!

Boolit Grand Master

NOE's 360318 just caught my eye while I was doing unrelated research on his site. I think the profile might work for the 35 Whelen, looks a little long. Need to do some measuring.

Been looking at that same boolit and called em about it. They said the nose bearing part was only about 1/3 the nose length. You would think being a round nose and tapered like that it would feed in most anything. Just guessing though. If i'm not wrong Ben has the old lyman mould for that boolit.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast