RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Powder availability problem

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not a ringer, idiot, or I agreement with you.

We are coming out of a major panic. People feared that Newton would lead to major gun and ammo bans/legislation. A logical reaction to that is to buy up a big stock.

How many here are still buying powder as soon as they can find some they need? I have purchased 24 pounds in the past 6 months. I might have bought that much powder in the previous 5 years!

I don't see a conspiracy here. Maybe I needs Tin foil hat but I see simple supply and demand problems. Powder output remains roughly the same, demands from reloaders and ammo companies skyrockets. Supply can't meet demand.

Yeah, I challenged your thinking. Now what?

Love Life
    I buy whatever my bankroll can bear, whenever I see it. I have stopped patronizing commie stores that have imposed limits on what I can buy with my hard earned moolah. I have what I need, when I want it. If I ever decide I won't use it all, then I will sell some off. Hopefully for a profit, but I'm happy if I break even.

Boolit Grand Master

The shortage was orchestrated by Obomination after his first election and continues to this day, him and his administration are playing "Smoke and Mirrors" with the publick to eliminate ALL firearms and point the finger of an AH at the American People!-Changeling

Giving the libs direct credit for orchestrating a reloading component shortage is pure silliness. Go to any reloading forum and check out all the new members, more than any time in the last several years. Ask Lee or RCBS how many presses they sold last year. The reloading community was a small percentage of the shooting public, it doesn't take very many new reloaders to put a strain on the supply chain. The laws of supply and demand may be influenced by the political climate but at this point most reloaders, myself included, are preparing for the next shortage. I have no need for a tinfoil hat, too cold around here to wear one anyway.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    Uh oh, three people have laid down the gauntlet.

I hope I wake up in the morning......

Love Life
    Who laid down the gauntlet?

Boolit Master

I'm living prof that it is people causing the shortage, how by not buying any guns until last, January 2013. Had a shotgun for years and thought that was enough but after December 2012 and all the talk about banning guns I got one then my Wife had to have one, I bought another she wanted pistol too then she bought me a rifle. Well all those guns needed feeding but ya you guessed it no ammo. Then I had the bright idea to reload so off I went to find powder, primers and J-words. No J-words so Hey lets cast some. Can't tell you how much ammo the Wife and I bought last year and will buy that and more this year.

So ya blame me and the Wife, we can take it. lol
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Who laid down the gauntlet?
    No, no, no! Follow along now....it's the chinese led by Hu Flung Dung that's conspiring to cause the glove to hit the fan, which brings us to the end of we know it.
    Right???
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Love Life
    Sounds legit.

Boolit Grand Master
    Post 61

It will be interesting to see who challenges what I say.......

Well, we challenged. What is so interesting?

Changeling posted: The shortage was orchestrated by Obomination after his first election and continues to this day, him and his administration are playing "Smoke and Mirrors" with the publick to eliminate ALL firearms and point the finger of an AH at the American People!

I would like a bit more detail on the "smoke and mirrors" so I can understand clearly what is being done. The more knowledge I have, the better I can defeat his agenda.

I offered up a 247# drum of pistol powder @ 25.00 per pound (no profit for me) and no one chimed in. I can still get it but each evolution is 6 months and this one ended on Monday.
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Banned

I "chimed-in" but without an FFL how do I get the powder. If it landed in So Cal there are members here but we would have to break it down before it shipped-out to Montana

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    I "chimed-in" but without an FFL how do I get the powder. If it landed in So Cal there are members here but we would have to break it down before it shipped-out to Montana
    It would have to be ordered here. I can see if anyone is receiving in CA to provide distribution.

I do not see where an FFL is needed unless you sell completed ammo or bullets you make.

It would have to get here, then be divided and then sent to you. Unless you have another idea or there is a Dealer in CA that will subdivide for you. I can check on that.
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Post 61

It will be interesting to see who challenges what I say.......

Well, we challenged. What is so interesting?
    Well, if we can educate a few more people about the laws of supply and demand we've done a good thing. Most of us accept the laws of physics to be able to understand how to make better ammunition. If we don't understand the laws of the marketplace we'll simply blame it on the libs and smoke & mirrors. If we understand how the market works we can make it work for us, eventually. Maybe next time more folks will be ready. Others will just jam their tinfoil hats down a little tighter, point fingers and howl.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    I'm living prof that it is people causing the shortage, how by not buying any guns until last, January 2013. Had a shotgun for years and thought that was enough but after December 2012 and all the talk about banning guns I got one then my Wife had to have one, I bought another she wanted pistol too then she bought me a rifle. Well all those guns needed feeding but ya you guessed it no ammo. Then I had the bright idea to reload so off I went to find powder, primers and J-words. No J-words so Hey lets cast some. Can't tell you how much ammo the Wife and I bought last year and will buy that and more this year.

So ya blame me and the Wife, we can take it. lol
    Welcome to the affliction! Bet you wish you'd tried this a long time ago, nice to have a wife that's interested as well. Have fun, be safe!

Boolit Buddy
    I just been keeping an eye out for WSF. Saw that a local Scheels had lowered the price on most primers from 39.99 to 34.99. They had most makes and models of primers in stock as well. Powder is still iffy.

Boolit Master
    A lot of the problem is evidence of just how thin the "Just in time" delivery system is. a relative small increase in demand or decrease in supply will make it crash.

I agree that part of the supply problem is caused on purpose by the government. Did you suspect that they would before they were elected?

Were you surprised when they did?

What did you do to prepare for it?
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Grand Master
    How did the government cause part of the supply problem? Did they lay off workers? Close plants? Interfere with supply chains? Are they buying up powder stocks?

I keep hearing about how the government is behind this but nobody ever knows how! Come on guys, share the info! Precisely how did the government cause the supply problem?

Boolit Buddy
    Very simple answer btroj. HOMELAND SECURITY and a lot of other gov't. agencies including the usps bought millions of round of ammunition and still have orders not filled which comes first before ammunition goes out to the public sector.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm also really interested in how the gov was responsible.
    Just how many new reloaders, added to the fraternity, needed to stock up, when it started to get unobtainable?
    How many never had more than a few pounds of powder , and a few hundred primers before, but suddenly need a cabinet full?
    How many never had more than a couple boxes of 22LR before, because you could always get them, everywhere, cheap? Now a couple bricks isn't enough, for "just in case"?
    I'm sick of the conspiracy theories.
    The only conspiracy is the one we do to ourselves as hoarders. Yes I'm guilty. Since O came to power and a little before, we have all preached being prepared. This is the results of our sermon. Are there really any of us that haven't tried to increase our inventory since Hillery and O made their bid for election??????
    The less we find the more we have to have.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast