Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Powder availability problem

Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    Couldn't find any details like, do they ship ? is there a limit on a single powder, and a total limit ??
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Master
    When powder started to be an issue I got a keg of bullseye.
    I normally load WST or WST, but when t hey are short on supply I can always use Bullseye.

My recommendation is to always have an extra keg of Bullseye or Unique. Than you can always load your handguns. Better yet with a keg of Unique you can also get reasonable on rifles.

On rifles always keep a keg of 4895 handy for backup it works decent.

Went to a gun show today in the hopes of finding some reloading supplies for the pistol. The only powder that was offered was for rifle. The small pistol primers were from magtech. I hadn't heard of them before so I passed on them.
    There was some reloaded 125 grain lead loads offered for 500 for $170. I passed
    There were some 115gr plated loads offered also 1000 count for $400. I can buy new from almost any gun store cheaper than that.
    Seems some gun show dealers have delusions.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Back to the OP most shotgun powders make excellent light pistol powders, seem to recall WST enjoyed some popularity as a clean alternative for 231 in target 45acp and 35spl loads. I'd start around 2.5 for the .38 and around 4.0 for the 9mm, check to ensure each boolit leaves the bore when starting that low.
    I did just that with some borrowed wst in the 9mm. I found data in 2 different loading manuals and several places online. I started at 3.8 and bumped it .2 grains per test set. 4.2 and above did not work well or accurately. 4.4 flattened primers in my pistol.
    I settled on 4.0 grains under a lee 120 tc. Good function and accuracy in my weapon. Now all I need to do is find a local supply.

Just checked the burn rate chart again. wst and wsh are almost side by side on the chart. Both situated halfway between titegroup and hp38.
    My thought is the load recipe would be similar with the wsh maybe a tenth of so different.
    Any thought anyone?

Tazman: how far are you from Peru Illinois? Got all the powder I needed from Boomers and Blasters. One way trip of 60 miles for me. Trip was worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by spfd1903 View Post
    Tazman: how far are you from Peru Illinois? Got all the powder I needed from Boomers and Blasters. One way trip of 60 miles for me. Trip was worth it to me.
    I an about 135 mi from peru.
    I am beginning to think it might be worth the trip.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    Couldn't find any details like, do they ship ? is there a limit on a single powder, and a total limit ??
    Dealers and North East shipping only.

It's a great place to have 20 minutes from my house. They have a great store. The only limits they have ever imposed are 22LR and primers the last year.

The load data listed here is for my pistol only. Use at your own risk.

I acquired a pound of winchester super handicap earlier this week and started testing this weekend.
    My starting load was 3.6 gr under a Lee 125gr round nose boolit sized to .357.
    3.6 grains- lots off smoke and so so accuracy. would not function the pistol reliably. fte and ftl 80%
    3.8 grains - less smoke, better accuracy but still fte and ftl.
    4.0 grains- even less smoke, still better accuracy but still fte and ftl
    4.2 grains- no noticeable smoke and very good accuracy but still some fte and ftl.
    No signs of excess pressure at all. No leading.
    I need to clean my pistol and boost the loads up further. This is starting to show promise. The accuracy is getting close to what I get with my 357 mag with 38 special loads. If I can get the function going reliably this could be a very accurate powder.

As always the powder load data is for my personal pistol only. Use at your own risk.

I got back to the range today with some new loads for the wsh powder experiment.
    I worked up to a max of 4.7 grains using a 120 tc bullet sized to .357.
    There was no smoke, no leading, no failures to eject, or failures to feed.
    No pressure signs at all with winchester or cci small pistol primers. Remington primers were problematic.
    Felt recoil was slightly less than with factory loads.
    Sorry that I can't give any velocity numbers. I don't have access to a chrono yet.
    Accuracy was very good.
    At the higher loadings the powder burned very clean.

Boolit Master
    My LGS hasn't had powder for about 6 months, a week ago he finally got a shipment- 40 1 lb cans of IMR 4064!! I bought two as I was low on powder for my AR's. Went back last weekend - ALL gone not one pound left! I don't care what anyone says- Odumbo is the cause of this. There is no way in hell the manufactures are shorting the market like this. I'll bet money Odumbo has the Feds putting the screws to anything gun related.

Boolit Master
    My LGS hasn't had powder for about 6 months, a week ago he finally got a shipment- 40 1 lb cans of IMR 4064!! I bought two as I was low on powder for my AR's. Went back last weekend - ALL gone not one pound left! I don't care what anyone says- Odumbo is the cause of this. There is no way in hell the manufactures are shorting the market like this. I'll bet money Odumbo has the Feds putting the screws to anything gun related.

Boolit Grand Master

Obama isn't buying up all the powder, reloaders are. We have seen the enemy and it is us.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, simple supply and demand.

I am seeing more and more powder locally these days. Primers are back in supply and powder is starting to catch up.

Love Life
    Dragons. It's all them ancient dragon's fault. I thought they were only hoarding 22lr...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Dragons. It's all them ancient dragon's fault. I thought they were only hoarding 22lr...
    But Obama controls the dragons.....

Love Life
    This just got real...

Boolit Grand Master
    Did you hear that the dragons are shutting down Doe run? This came about because George Soros bought the financial group that owns the dragons.........

Love Life
    Isn't soros shutting down Marlin as well?

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, he sure is. That must mean he will close Remington too.

Banned
    Purple letter, purple letters, purple letters, ya'll forgot the purple letters.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast