MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Powder availability problem

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know about noobs causing much of the shortage. I think the old timers stocked up too. I know I have far more on hand now than I have in the past.

All I care is that things seem to be settling down some. I can find primers and powder in my local stores so I am happy. Even better is that I can find them in my local basement!

I think many people who were borderline interested in shooting sports became worried their hobby was going to be taken away.
    They felt as long as they had supplies, they would be ok. So they stocked up. It then snowballed.
    When the demand outstripped the supply, panic set in. Not just for the newbies, but also for the established shooters who could no longer easily get the supplies as they were used to.
    Now we have manufacturers who are still afraid, even after years of high demand, to invest in increased capacity. To a certain extent, I think some of them perceive an opportunity to increase prices and therefore profits from the situation. They don't really want the demand to decrease, but at the same time they don't want to spend money on capacity that may not be needed in the future.
    We consumers are now caught in the bind.
    Not much we can do except be patient and wait for supplies to become more readily available.
    Just one problem with that.
    I want my supplies NOW blast it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I don't know about noobs causing much of the shortage. I think the old timers stocked up too. I know I have far more on hand now than I have in the past.

All I care is that things seem to be settling down some. I can find primers and powder in my local stores so I am happy. Even better is that I can find them in my local basement!
    +1 I have bought more guns, powders I don't normally use, 10 years normal shooting worth of primers. Panic? I like to think of it as prudence, as in ant and grasshopper.
    I'll be shooting long past Obummer, and I have no remorse about buying in excess of my current needs.

And I'd buy more 22's too. if I could find them.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Beekeeper
    I saw this comming back when slick willie was pres.
    I started stocking up back then and only buy now when I run short or find something on sale at same or near prices.

I watch Powder Valley every day and when they have something I want or need I buy it.
    They seem to have the best prices around.

There are only a couple of things I need now and am reluctant to buy as I would only use the once or twice so I hesitate to spring for them.

beekeeper

I have been shooting Tin Star n32c powder lately with verygood results. It has very low velocity spread, fills case well and will shoot in many calibers using lead or jacketed bullets. Handloader magazine Feb 2014 issue 288 has a verygood article about this powder.

Here is a verygood price on Tin Star powder. I ordered 4 pounds from these guys and they provided tracking number and shipped within one week.
    http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/4,1436.html

Love Life
    Now if only I could get about 40 lbs of Retumbo I would be happy. Ramshot magnum works, but Retumbo is mo' better.

Boolit Man
    Trochilids,I also went from 0 to many handguns as you did.But we live in the lower 48 in Pa.You must have moved to Alaska in the past 2 years, because isn't it a requirement to own nothing smaller than a 44 mag.,due to grizzlies and wolves coming over for coffee ?Just kidding!The blame of supply shortage must really be my fault.Gas prices gone sky-high caused me to get out of hot-rodding and racing,so I needed a new hobby.The guns don't break like the cars did.Actually It's my wifes fault.She likes larger calibers than small ones.Bigger means more powder.Yup,It's all her fault,feel free to give her hell.But,she IS an awesome shooter!

stinjie wrote:Yup,It's all her fault,feel free to give her hell.But,she IS an awesome shooter!

Only if I can do it from beyond rifle range!
    I have seen POed women shoot before and I don't want them shooting at me.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by stinjie View Post
    Trochilids,I also went from 0 to many handguns as you did.But we live in the lower 48 in Pa.You must have moved to Alaska in the past 2 years, because isn't it a requirement to own nothing smaller than a 44 mag.,due to grizzlies and wolves coming over for coffee ?Just kidding!
    Honestly, I tend to lean more toward bear spray for protection from the largest warm-blooded critters in the woods. Until Congress makes rumbles about banning capsaicin, I'm probably good. Or maybe UDAP or Counter Assault "high capacity" canisters will be outlawed and everyone will rush on 9 ounce cans. If that's the case I'm screwed. Haven't found a good "Cast Pepper" site, yet.
    Trochilids, Living in The Great Land

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams, February 6, 1788.
    "Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?" -- Patrick Henry, 1836.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post

[/I]

I realized that in the future ammo and components would be difficult to find and more expensive. I decided to not be inconvenienced by market conditions.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

I caught a break today! I called my best supplier(a semi-local gun shop, 60 miles one way) and asked if he had any powder. He told me he just finished putting some on the shelf. I managed to get 6 pounds of it at $19per lb. He also had some primers so I got 8000 of those.
    I should be set for a while.
    After I got back home 90 minutes later I called him again and he said all the powder and primers were gone already.

Quote Originally Posted by trochilids View Post
    Honestly, I tend to lean more toward bear spray for protection from the largest warm-blooded critters in the woods. Until Congress makes rumbles about banning capsaicin, I'm probably good. Or maybe UDAP or Counter Assault "high capacity" canisters will be outlawed and everyone will rush on 9 ounce cans. If that's the case I'm screwed. Haven't found a good "Cast Pepper" site, yet.
    Okay, 1 more time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grizzly_bear_warning_sign.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	96634

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567