Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: .32 cal Ball-et Mold?

Boolit Buddy
    What about something like a maxi ball but take the back section to the middle and do away with the middle. I shortened some maxi balls and they look pretty good. The have the smaller mid section on them though. I will post some pics in bout an hour. Have to go to town.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jjamna View Post
    What about something like a maxi ball but take the back section to the middle and do away with the middle. I shortened some maxi balls and they look pretty good. The have the smaller mid section on them though. I will post some pics in bout an hour. Have to go to town.
    let us know how many grains. I would also like to know how it shoots. Is the twist in your gun 1 in 48?

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02820.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	9379177 grains, box say's 70 grains on the ball-et. I am shooting a CVA rifle, haven't been able to find the twist but I would bet it is 1 in 66. I have about 10 made up but it is to dang cold to shoot em now. These were cast with a cold mold and just warm enough for the lead to pour so they don't look as good as they could and probably won't shoot as good as they could. Maxi's on the left modified on the right.

Boolit Buddy
    Guy's, I am putting these up for ideas only. The Ball-et design with mini style lube grooves appeals to me the most so far.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    In a few days (it is still deer season here until Sunday evening) I will put up a comparison drawing that I think you will like....with options. Stay tuned.................

jjama, could you possibly get a couple of steel or brass plugs made for that maxi mold! Right man on a lathe could turn some out in a little while? Just a thought!
    .................................................. .................................................. ....................

Don't Ya Jest Love the Smell of Rotten Agg's!!

Boolit Buddy
    What kind of lube would you guys put on with a knurled or tumble lube type of boolit for black powder?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tnpaw View Post
    jjama, could you possibly get a couple of steel or brass plugs made for that maxi mold! Right man on a lathe could turn some out in a little while? Just a thought!
    If my mold was top pour, I could make one. It is a bottom pour so it would be difficult to do. It would be possible though.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    What kind of lube would you guys put on with a knurled or tumble lube type of boolit for black powder?
    I was thinking any of the "bore butter" consistency pastes would be berries. The "ball-ets did not have much lube on them compared to the Maxis.
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Bub
    Give Moose Moulds a call 267-229-1676. www.moosemoulds.com

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Moose just made me a .315 roundball double cavity. was a custom order, friendly and fast, think I had it in like a month.

jjama! I have been thinking allot about your modified Maxi! Which in my case is Dangerous, but here goes! If the modified Maxi shoot really good , what about milling the whole mold down to the size you want, since it is top pouring! A matter of which you would like best! I found some TC Maxi Mold's on FleaBay and GunBrokers, and price ranged from $125 to over $250 and the bidding was still going! For that price you could mill yours and buy another from ToW for $65! Just a Thought!
    .................................................. .................................................. ....................

Don't Ya Jest Love the Smell of Rotten Agg's!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tnpaw View Post
    jjama! I have been thinking allot about your modified Maxi! Which in my case is Dangerous, but here goes! If the modified Maxi shoot really good , what about milling the whole mold down to the size you want, since it is top pouring! A matter of which you would like best! I found some TC Maxi Mold's on FleaBay and GunBrokers, and price ranged from $125 to over $250 and the bidding was still going! For that price you could mill yours and buy another from ToW for $65! Just a Thought!
    Now that would work, Will have to think on this one. Do I want to keep this one as is and get another one, or just cut this one down to the size I wanted. I am working on a drawing of one based on the Maxi, but the rear band is wider on my drawing and the grease groove is narrower. It is in the Testing section if you want to look at it. I will post it here when finished. I am going to try and shoot some tomorrow but no promises, depends on weather.

OK, here they are. You see in the picture three ML boolits. First is the Ball-et.... it has a larger knurled body above the rebated heel and has a HB skirt on it. It could be swaged easily IF you have a way to knurl the body, otherwise it would be a two diameter body with somewhat more difficult to get down the bore front end. A mold could be cut also, but this limits us to MiHec or NOE. Second is the MiHec 32 HBWC...... it could be cut larger (by just adding another diameter to the choices) to fit the 32 rifles available plus it can be sized for a custom fit to your rifle. There is a GB already going on it, so the wait would be less. Third is the TC Maxi ball for the 32. As you can see it is the longest. The sample boolit was provided by a local member and this maxi shoots well in the crockett rifles of two locals here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ML 32 Comp.jpg  

I am not the only one involved with this, but I would like to move forward with the "ball-et".

Having said that, would not including tumble lube grooves or "minnie" accomplish the same function as the knurling by allowing easier loading?

Regards,
    Everett

Quote Originally Posted by SPRINGFIELDM141972 View Post
    I am not the only one involved with this, but I would like to move forward with the "ball-et".

Having said that, would not including tumble lube grooves or "minnie" accomplish the same function as the knurling by allowing easier loading?

Regards,
    Everett
    That involves a mold......... and yes, those approaches do about the same thing. Would anyone object to this and the extra diameter on the 32 HBWC mold? A small game boolit for the 8mm rifles and 32 Specials would likely draw some more people.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32 cal.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	94178

What ever the majority goes with is fine with me. What size you talking for 8mm and 32's/ I wouldn't want to go much over .325. I agree the more it will work in the more interest there will be. I have a drawing I drew up in case there may be more interest in it. I am not pushing this at all, just putting it out there for a choice.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    That involves a mold......... and yes, those approaches do about the same thing. Would anyone object to this and the extra diameter on the 32 HBWC mold? A small game boolit for the 8mm rifles and 32 Specials would likely draw some more people.
    What diameter for the HBWC?

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    I already have maxi molds, Id be interested in pretty much anything new, But I would prefer just a ballet replica for now. I have several .32's in 30, 36, 38, and 48 twists, and Im convinced the faster twists are much better shooters. Especially when you factor in they shoot well over a much wider load scale, and they will group well even under the lightest loads. but the 1-48 twist seems to be much more finicky for finding the exact load they want to group well. most of my 1-48 twist want abt a 22-25 grn charge of goex 3f where say a cherokee with a 1-30 shoots well with anything from a 10 grn charge on up to 30. this is really just for patched roundball. but I do have a custom inline (with1-36 twist) that I have shot maxis with very good accuracy to at least 80 yards. testing still in progress for longer ranges. and it takes a very calm day.

Quote Originally Posted by SPRINGFIELDM141972 View Post
    What diameter for the HBWC?
    The base band of the Ball-et and the 32 Maxi ball are about 0.322 to 0.323". The 32 HBWC could be any size we want. The mold comes with a top punch for sizing also, so you could size it for a custom fit in your particular barrel. I'm thinking 0.323" in pure lead...... but a consensus would be best.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast