Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nevada get together for long range-ish shooting

Boolit Master
    I know about the fairground RV setup, but never stayed there before. Couple of nice looking RV camps on highway 50 just west of town. Frontier is a good idea. Wish I'd thought about them when we shopped next door at Big R couple of weeks ago. If they have some, I'll call and pre-pay, pick up when I get there. 1F is best, but in a pinch can use 2F. 2F makes for a different flight path for the 1" ball bearing, thinking same charge of 1F gives a little more speed, could be more pressure in that size bore.
    Chris

Love Life
    If it was a black pickup with jarhead plates, and going about 5 mph under the speed limit, then tat was me.

Boolit Master
    It was Lovelife plates, guess it wasn't you. Next couple of weeks have to go up to Reno. Will stop and look for the BP in several shops up there along the way. If I strike out there, no powder, no cannon fire. Hope for the best though, someone has to have a pound sitting around in one of the shops. Projects to do until the weather passes here, free shotgun to fix, tractor work getting ready for spring. Chronograph work with cast 30:30 and 38-55 after the weather clears.
    Chris

CW, I used to get my blackpowder from Mark Four and Strike. They were the only ones in western Nevada that had an explosives permit.

CW, I used to get my blackpowder from Mark Four and Strike. They were the only ones in western Nevada that had an explosives permit. Now I have to go to Wyoming to get it.

Love Life
    Snowmageddon has found us!!!

Boolit Master
    Sure has snowed good here. Spent the morning on the tractor clearing the 10" to a foot that fell overnight. Woke up to no power and internet as well. Looking out at the drive now, half of what I removed is right back on it. No complaints, we need the water bad. Half a inch of rain in the rain gage before it turned into snow. If the predictions hold true, much more due tonight. NVWalt, is Mark Four and Strike still in business, if so, where are they located ??? Sure would like to give them a try if within range.
    Chris

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Their on the north end of Kietzke lane about a block north of Glendale I think. It finally quit here about 100 been snowing since 400am .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Thanks Harter66, I'll give them a call, see what they have. My driveway is down to 4wd with heavy lugged tires only, what a mess. It will be interesting to see what falls here by tomorrow morning.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Thanks Harter66, I gave them a call, they don't carry it anymore and don't know of anyone who does ?? Make a few more calls, see what turns up if any. My driveway is down to 4wd with heavy lugged tires only, what a mess. It will be interesting to see what falls here by tomorrow morning.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Everyone of the big dealers says they all gave up the permit to sell. Internet sales only it looks like.
    Chris

I have a link or 2 to some very talented rednecks ,yes there are folks out there just like the Ducky D boys but no where near so well moneyed. The mat'l is all available at Wal-mart and Ace to make your own . If your so inclined . No it isn't from that certain cook book. Goto gunslingersgultch. Look under TV ,news,videos etc for brushhippies videos its a sticky at the forum top and the 1 your looking for is on page 12 . Lots of low brow humor and thread drift but very sharp talented folks. I believe brushhippie makes fireworks for a living.
    Or use this link to page 13 and go back to page 12 down toward the bottom.
    http://gunslingersgulch.com/index.php?topic=2568.180
    Last edited by Harter66; 01-30-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: wrong page add a link

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Interesting chart attached to that link. By his chart, I'm supposed to be using 2F. I built this thing almost 40 years ago, and at the time, lots of caution to stick to 1F. I don't think it matters much except the 2F used in the past seamed to develop less pressure, more drop. Shooting at a target 2 miles out or so out, 2F fell much shorter with the same charge. I was casting rough 1" lead balls at the time, lead weighs more than the steel ball bearings I now use. The lead might retain more energy down range because of weight. Ball bearings sure break up big rocks much better though. Guess all that is left is make my own BP, ( don't think I want to try that one yet ) or buy the minimum of 5 lbs. on line and pay the haz-mat fee. See if I can get some here in time for the shoot.
    Chris

Vendor Sponsor
    If it snowed in Fallon it all melted by the time I got home. Maybe a quarter inch of rain. The alkali flats will be snotty for a day or two. Have to see what else we get.

Love Life
    I've got about 11 inches on deck here. Cwheel, do you feel like coming over the hill to clear out my drive? I've got cash and trade goods...

Boolit Master
    If you lived on this side of the hill, would consider it, but chaining the tractor down to the trailer is a no go. I'd just as soon not have the trailer not try to pass the towing truck up on top of Jackwright pass. Not to interested in chaining the truck or trailer either. Lou Best on your side used to do that sort of thing, don't think he is very well now though. Had at least 12" to do on my drive late this morning, more like 14". They say we are going to get it again tonight. Snow falling here right now. My driveway is now 4wd only. Best of luck to you over there Love Life, after the tractor work still had 2 hours more with a shovel.
    Chris

Love Life
    I've been a shoveling fool lately. My drive way is 4wd only right now, so only my truck can get in and out. There is a man up the road with a tractor, and I'll ask him tomorrow.

If no dice, then my back will be crying crocodile tears.

I mat be in on this shoot is it in fallon area?
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Bob ,
    the out line and current driving directions are on page 4. I kind of took the wheel w/blessings on this 1. 35+ yr roaming the region didn't hurt either.

If the flat winds up being too slimy there is the old highway bed also w/only minor adjustments to the driving directions.

It snowed here most of the day. we had lots of water but no real ground accumulation. I'm headed to Fallon and Fernly over the weekend I'll check the flat and access to the highway bed .

thanks ill have to bring all my guns , maybe we can swap some too..
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast