WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nevada get together for long range-ish shooting

Love Life

Nevada get together for long range-ish shooting

As I wander around the forum I see there are a good bit of members from the Northern Nevada area (Reno, Carson City, Gardnerville/Minden, Wellington).

Would anybody be interested in a get together for a little informal long range-ish shooting? There are two places I have in mind:

The Douglas County range:Pros: 300 yds, has steel tables bolted into the concrete, and a cover to keep us safe from snow/rain/sun.

Cons: only goes to 300 yds, can get crowded on weekends, not much to offer for shooting from hasty rests.

Dry lake bed on north end of Risue Canyon: Pros: Not crowded, flat, can drive out targets, can shoot from 100 yds to 1,000 yds, opportunity to shoot from field rests (Rocks, logs, pack, etc).

Cons: No tables so you are shooting prone unless you want to work your positions or you bring your own table, no cover to protect from elements, terrain may cause issues with cars (folks can ride from the main dirt road to the lake bed in my truck), farther from the cities.

Purpose of the range trip:
    1. Shoot the bull (literally and figuratively)
    2. Meet members
    3. learn bullet drops from actually shooting
    4. Gain confidence in ranging distance, aiming points or scope adjustments, gain experience and confidence from shooting far
    5. Learn from each other
    6. Shoot the bull

What's needed:
    1. Shooters
    2. Rifle with ammo
    3. Scope or iron sights
    4. TBD based on location of shooting

It's a pretty rough idea right now and can/will change based on member input. My main goal is to have fun, pass on knowledge, and learn new stuff. I have a huge steel target (18x36 inches) for people to shoot at and target stands for shooting paper targets.

Anybody and everybody are welcome. Cast boolits, jacketed boolits, hunting rifles, ninja tactical rifles, ARs, hunting scopes, ninja tactical scopes, and iron sights are all welcome as well.

If anybody is interested or has other ideas, please chime in. This could be a great opportunity to have fun and learn alot of stuff.

Timeframe: Mid February to early march depending on schedules.

Boolit Master
    Im into it if its not too far away

Boolit Master

Little too far away for me BUT----
    These kinds of shoots are really what is needed to expand our sport. Simple get togethers. Keep the rules simple and I would highly recommend they be concluded with a pot luck dinner.
    Wish we could get something going like that around here !!!
    Good Luck.
    Facta non verba

Where is Risue Canyon? Is it 4 wheel required? I'm in if my old 2wd pickup can make it.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Don’t ever trust a man who doesn’t like John Wayne

Love Life
    Risue Canyon can be picked up on the 338 headed to Bridgeport, CA. The Lake bed is in the Nevada side so AR's with detachable magazines and stuff are still legal.

The road is decently maintained and you should have no issues getting to the lake bed. The lake bed is currently enjoying a freeze/thaw cycle so I would not recommend you drive on the lake bed with a 2 wheel drive, but you can drive to the lake bed. We can use my truck to drive out targets. If using the lake bed, shooting mats or a tarp are a must or you'll end up wet from the ground.

To find it on google maps, look up Risue canyon or desert creek.

The Reno shooting center is nice as well and goes all the way out to 900 yds. I am down for wherever is best for everybody as long as we can shoot beyond 200 yards. Distance is paramount to this.

Also, having a proven load for your rifle will go a ling way to making this very enjoyable. I figure we do a 100 yd verify shoot, and then move on from there.

As I said though, I want this to be fun and informational. My goal is for everybody to walk away with a better understanding of their equipment, and confidence in their equipment, load, ranging, scope adjustment, and shooting ability.

If everybody knows their velocity and a rough BC of their load/bullet, I can even create rough drop charts for them.
    Last edited by Love Life; 01-10-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Love Life
    Something else to consider is if we use one of the county ranges, we can get some breakfast before the shoot, or lunch afterwards. At the lake bed you need to pack snacks.

If we use the Douglas County range we can eat at Hamdogs...best $7.99 breakfast around!!

Love Life
    Here is what the lake bed looks like. The target is the yellow dot up there at the tree line, and there is PLENTY of room to move farther back for longer shots.

Sounds like fun.
    I'm in.

Love Life
    I reckon just let this one run a bit and come to a final consensus. I like the idea of Potluck, but my house is not large enough.

If close to a town we can eat at a restaurant. If we use the lake bed or a part of the desert I can bring a grill and we can do a grill your own lunch kind of thing. I'm open to ideas as I want this to be a great time for everybody.

Sounds like a great idea Love life ... if everyone would put up with an oldfart/beginner here dropping by .
    The local range these days seems to be picking up with the numbers of people at times , can't argue with more people enjoying shooting but it can be a bit crowded at times these days .
    Agree on Hamdog's...good food ! .
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    How long is the rifle range in Carson City? Thats a pretty nice range.

I can cruise over to Fallon there is an ''improved'' range near Grimes point that is all but unlimited . There is also a long slick clay flat out of Fallon toward Lovelock 5-6 mi, I think 7-800 yd . I know we shot a couple of rifles out to 500 many yr ago,seems like there was lots of range left. Town from either is close enough to have meals and there are several places to meet for rules, escape from weather,etc. Both can be reached w/a car unless maybe your in a street racer. It's pretty good most of the time and likely no traffic . I'd bring my camper/trailer for the ladies facilities .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I checked out Yerington today 190 paces from the back stop to the bench pads.
    Last edited by Harter66; 01-13-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typo

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Mold
    Harter66 are you talking about the gravel pit north of the highway or the lake bed to the south of Grimes point, the lake bed takes a truck to get to but the wind is minimal and you can shoot 1000+

The Grimes range I'm thinking of is kind of NNE of the caves just past the cinder block structure the ''lanes'' would SSE IIRC. Those long flats can be tricky this time of yr,don't ask .
    I used to chase ducks all over the valley , I hunted ponds and lakes that haven't been there in 10 yr so sometimes my landmark references are flawed or ''roads'' aren't where I left them.

There is also easy access to the old hiway on the Carson sink off Tarzan lane or at least it used to be easy. The flat/sink is dead flat and the old road bed is straight for about 15 miles.

On Heaven's Range

Depending on the circumstances at the time of this event, perhaps I can talk NVCurmudgeon into taking me to this shoot. At this time I don't have a driver's license, so am dependent on the services of other kind folks to get me around. I see it as more of a social occasion for ME.... maybe I can help with range-officer duties or something like that.

Both NVC and I are retired 'gentlemen of leisure', so there aren't too many potential conflicts in our schedules.

I'll be setting up my bachelor pad in Reno in a couple weeks' time, and may be in the market for some recreation!
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

I Google Earthed the Flats Range at Grimes Point 2100 yd, 300 atCC, 200 at Yerington, and the last Fallon flat located 6miles north of Maine Williams intersection is at least 675 w/750 as a maximum "inside the basin". This flat would let us also shoot 100yd pistols at the same time.

Boolit Master

I live in SW Orygun and I may be interested in coming down.
    Sounds like fun.
    I`m not sure just how far we need to be able to shoot but 200-300 yds. is enough to me.
    Metal gongs are always fun to shoot.
    I have some IHMSA scale silhouettes with permanent legs I could bring.
    I would sleep in the back of my PU if there is somewhere fairly close we could eat.
    My morning coffee is a must.....dale

Love Life
    The sky is the limit here (mountains actually). Most of the real ranges go to at least 300, and are right outside of town. There are plenty of hotels, and primitive camping as well. A bowl that will break the wind will be nice.

I like to shoot as far as I can with one rifle, but wherever is best for everybody involved. So we have out towards Harter's way where we can shoot as far as we want. We have out my way where we can easily reach 1,000 yds, and we have the Douglas or Carson ranges which go to 300 yds. The Douglas and Carson ranges have tables, covers, concrete pads, etc. Looks like mine and Harter's stomping grounds are good old middle of the desert Nevada.

I want this to be fun, a learning experience, and a bull session. We can all learn. I can shoot a rifle well, but suck horribly at pistol!! So I would get spanked shooting 100 yd pistolas!

What do you all think? One of the established county ranges, or middle of desert? I think one of the established ranges would probably be best for all concerned.

I'm game either way. The mountains ,and the Serria shadow, can be tricky 70 one snow the next,while the flats might be hard and dry they could swollow a truck. Not likely w/the places I've picked but possible. the best probablities in Fallon are 10-15 min from town and like I said I'll take my trailer for facilities and coffee if we settle on an desert setting.

Boolit Mold
    When would be a good day for everyone?

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast