The ones I use the most are

BlueDot
    TrailBoss
    PowerPistol

Boolit Bub
    WST for .40 45acp and 9mm
    Bullseye for .38's

Banned

Unique, Unique, Unique, Unique, Unique, Unique, Unique, Unique, Unique, and Unique

Boolit Master

We can google "powder burn rate chart" and print the whole thing. Very handy. Always lets you know what "speed" neighborhood you're in. I feel like it helps avoid mistakes. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

I did a poll on this some time ago, and added the results together from mupliple forums. Here's the resulting chart. I have another around for the most accurate handgun powder, cant put my hands on it yet.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BigPoll1.jpg  
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Found the poll results from the Most Accurate Handgun Powder poll too. This poll asked people which powder was most accurate in their handguns.

Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Boolit Buddy

I don't see how you could have such a list without Unique and H-110 on it. And Trail Boss; it is just an unusual powder that it needs to be in there. Great for a round/projectile that you have no load data for. I personally like HS-6 (I actually found a can of it yesterday $25.50 + tax (ouch)). I have never tried Bullseye, but I plan on adding it to my repertoire.

357shooter: Nice work!

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen much of nuthin AA#5 won't do well.
    I also use a lot of AA nitro 100 NF.
    Titegroup is my go to powder for cheap blastin ammo.

I love unique and use a lot of it....funny thing, I never use it in any pistol cartridges.

wow my heads in a whirl now. Love the graphs, that will get me looking at my manuals too. Interesting that shot shell powder works well for 45 acp also.
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by guncheese View Post
    red dot was easy to find here a couple months ago but now.......
    ive been looking for some promo but no luck yet
    but i use BE or RD in most loads
    but i seem to have a soft spot for WSF in 9mm

tried some 9gr blue dot loads in .45acp with a 200gr swc big woof plenty of push and unburnt powder all over the snow
    maybe i should try some green dot........
    I discovered the Promo/Red Dot sub awhile ago. Ive had no trouble getting 16lbs of it for the shelf. As mentioned its is a direct sub by weight not volume
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Seems like folks frequently forget the first and oldest tried and true performer: the holy black. Yep, more cleaning, but doggone easy to clean a pistol. And, black go BOOM and make lots of smoke; that equals more fun.

My smokeless preferences? Unique and Bullseye. No magnums or plus Ps, so no 2400 loads.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

I would say I burn more Unique and Red Dot than anything else - 2400 for Magnum loads - TrailBoss is for sub sonic rifle rounds
    VV N320 or N340 for subsonic heavy 9mm loads - I still have 700x, Bullseye, WSF, Blue Dot, 296
    and some others on the shelf but at this point they are also rans

- Not that they aren't good but I just find it easier to concentrate on buying 8-10 lbs of same lot of a standard powder.

or more... 15 pounder of Red Dot

Just remember no matter how much you buy - you'll have to resupply

But lots of good memories from it.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

http://www.lapua.com/upload/reloadin...echart2011.pdf
    Here is a chart that shows powders from several makers in compareson to each other. Just remember this is just a reference chart not a holly bible chart. It aleast gives a loader something to see how each compares to one another.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Man
    Titegroup
    WST
    W231

Boolit Master
    I can't believe WSF isn't on those graphs at all when its already been mentioned several times in this thread alone.

The polls for the graphs were done about 2 years ago and contained the powders I was aware of at the time. I did miss a few that people use. However my guess is the ones mentioned (like WSF) wouldnt impact the highest results, but would be mid pack. The results there are pretty flat. Just my opinion.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Boolit Grand Master

Unique, Red Dot, 2400 and H110/W296 covers about everything I do.
    Actually, Unique and 2400 would do everything for me. I like the graphs and find it very interesting that a powder invented over 100yrs ago still tops the list.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by leeggen View Post
    http://www.lapua.com/upload/reloadin...echart2011.pdf
    Here is a chart that shows powders from several makers in compareson to each other. Just remember this is just a reference chart not a holly bible chart. It aleast gives a loader something to see how each compares to one another.
    CD
    Thats a great chart and I have one similar saved on the comp. I find it easier to use than the others for quick reference.

Boolit Grand Master
    In most cases, pistol powders are easy to substitute. Most are not loading to maximum velocity and most cannot discern the accuracy difference - especially as most pistol rounds are shot as blasting/practice ammo.

It is one reason I have about 100 lb of Promo. It is not the "best" powder in any of my pistols (They get Bullseye, Clays, N320, HP38, Longshot); but it WILL work in all of them. Plus it will do a good job in light rifle loads and target 12 ga loads.

You will never go wrong with having two or three 8lb jugs of Promo/RD in your inventory. If/when your favorite powder is unavailable, or over priced, you can still shoot with Promo/RD.

For ultimate performance (velocity and/or accuracy) you can find "better" powders. But how often do you need that level of performance? I see so many people complaining about lack of powder who would be able to shoot if they had invested $250 in three jugs of Promo. BTW, that is enough for over 40,000 rounds of most pistol loads.

Don Verna

Boolit Master

My most used pistol powder is Tight group & Bullseye .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast