Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Savage 25 Walking Varminter 17 Hornet

Boolit Buddy

Savage 25 Walking Varminter 17 Hornet

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new rifle and have been looking at the Savage 25 Walking Varminter in 17 Hornet. Does anyone have one and or shoot one that can tell me their opinion good or bad. Also I have a lot of virgin 22 hornet brass and would like to form it to the 17 hornet if I get one but looking at the cost of the forming dies would like to find someone that has done it and would be willing to form mine for a cost.

Thanks
    Tom

Hey Tom, I got this rifle last September and Oh what a fun gun to shoot and it's accurate as all get out with the accutrigger. I put a Vortex 4-12 Crossfire 2 on mine and couldn't be happier. Longest groundhog kill last year was 327 yards in no wind! The only thing I don't like is that the ammo has a tendency to hang up in the breech if you cycle them slowly, due to the action being for the 223 originally (I believe). As long as you cycle them at a fair rate and you'll be fine. Like you, I have a 22 Hornet and I use the brass to fireform my own 17's, since 17 hornet factory ammo is nearly impossible to get and not that cheap either. Don't pay someone to form yours, spend $40 on a set of Hornady dies and do them yourself.

Todd