Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the coldest weather you've experienced?

Boolit Master

-67 F at King Salmon AFB 86-87. IIRC there was a 20-25 mph wind out of the west, right off the Bering Sea. Only mission essential people were allowed out side for three days. There were rope barriers from the barraks to the chow hall. Ahh, the good ol days.

I was building a house up in northern Ohio about 25 years ago and it was -22. I had to put a kerosene heater in my van to be able to run the air compressor. I won't ever work in those kind of temps any more...too old.

Boolit Buddy
    Coldest I've been in was -40 with 40mph wind. If I recall it warmed up to -35 with the same wind. Gotta love the Wyoming oil patch.

Boolit Master

I was visiting friends at collage in Houghton Michigan when it was 40 below it did not seems bad at the time . I went ice fishing on the Saginaw river one night the only night that i had to go and it hit 15 below and the wind chill was 60 below it was a waste of time there were ten of us on the ice no ice shanties gale force winds the holes froze faster than i could clear the ice. I was dressed for it when i gave up and headed in the DNR was in the lot he rolled down the window and asked if anything was biting i took off a glove to retrieve my fishing license and he said that is okay it is to cold to check licenses! At the time i had a Eddie Bauer polar expedition parka it was very good in cold weather i forget who made the insulated overalls i had on my hands and feet did get cold that night.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

13. But that was up in Austin , which is practically in Canada . The MX track froze , but we endeavored to persevere . Too bad that was before there was a camera in every pocket , as the clips would still be coming up as "recommended for you" searches on yootoob .

Boolit Buddy
    -56 here in my hometown in northern Utah (no wind). I can remember several mornings at or near -50 back in the late 70's and early 80's. minus 30 or 40 is not that uncommon here most winters.

Prudhoe Bay AK I think it was the winter of 88/89 it was -83 when we landed in Dead Horse with a stiff wind blowing (Somebody said that the wind chill was around -145), it lasted several more weeks with no change in the temperature or wind. We were working out on the tundra laying out seismic cable, it was nearly impossible to stay out in the cold for any amount of time.

Desolation Flats Wyo. I was operating a workover rig at -40s with the wind howling (new wind chill records were set) we were snowed in and could not go home for days off. That is by far the most cold and miserable I have ever been.

Boolit Buddy
    I hate cold. Lowest I have ever experienced was -8dF. First time truly on my own, in Raleigh, NC. If I remember correctly that would have been the winter of 1984/85.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Master
    -52, winter of 64-65. I was just a tyke, but I remember it because Mom wouldn't let me go out to play until it got up to 30 below.

It got so cold that year that the antelope moved into town. They were everywhere, must have been several hundred took up residence in town.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Banned
    southern California and sometimes Honolulu, hawaii
    Winter warfare training at what I believe was ft. wainwright (it was a long time ago) in Alaska was really cold. I also spent more that a few cold days and nights at my cabin in the high sierras of California before it was knocked down by a huge tree. It was a very tough environment. Jay

Boolit Master
    1997 -44F ambient near Livingston, Mt -88F with wind chill, and 1986(?) -35F ambient in Stowe, Vt and -109F with wind chill. Had dangerous situations both times, in Vt we were skiing and took our Navy Ice-breaker masks off and got instant frost-bite. In MT, I was working with a partner who underdressed and I had to help him get inside and spent 18 hours "nursing" him back to health.

Boolit Master
    Going up the St Lawrence River January 1957.Do,nt know what the Temp was but we where breaking Ice and the deck crew where de icing the cables etc.We blocked all the Engine Room Vents to keep warm down there.

-46 in Phillips, Maine December 1987 building a auditorium roof on a school. That day. I decided, my boss( my father) was someone I didn't want to work for anymore . Left Maine for warmer time.

Moderator Emeritus

-54 ice fishing in Northern MN, windchill was below -100 with a 40mph sweeping across the lake. Left the truck running to get back to the cabin each day. Most miserable was hunting pheasants in IA... -22 with windchill's around -50, every walk into the wind was miserable but we kept jumping pheasants in clumps of trees.

-53 Crystal Mn early 1960s.

Now they close the schools at 50 below

WHIMPs!
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
    -24 ice fishing on Vieux Desert (Phelps, WI) a couple years ago. That was a chilly one. Caught about 19 northern between the whole crew that afternoon/evening.
    Fishing at -24...thats not fishing, that's self abuse.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

-42F air temp, no wind, in November 1962 at Dillon , Montana.
    WAY too cold for a southern Orygun boy....dale

Boolit Master
    News Item here says that Half the U.S population effected by the Polar Vortex now sweeping over your country.If possible stay safe in those Arctic conditions.Do not venture into the wilderness,stay near habitation.

Winter in Korea is a mighty cold thing.
    Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    Fishing at -24...thats not fishing, that's self abuse.
    Not if the bite is on.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In Remebrance

Early 90's living in Long Lake NY we had -52F on our thermometer, neighbor had -54. And both these were after the sun had been up a while. Local guy said at 4AM he had -58 that day. Never got above 0F for more than a month straight.

Coldest I've been had to have been in NYC the winter after 9/11. Winds off the ocean at 40-50mph and carrying water with it, or in Korea in the same type of set up on the ocean front guarding a bunch of empty flatbed trailers that the NK's had no intention of ever stealing. Cold and wet, don't know how the old sailors ever stood it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast