WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300 AAC Blackout

Boolit Bub

what COAL were you ending with ? sounds like your too long ,if your hitting the rifling. max for the coal 2.260. seems like you should be around 2.200/2.240..for feeding out of a standard mag .

N110 The fastest burning rifle powder from Vihtavuori. Similar to Hodgdon H110 and Winchester 296. N110 can be used in small rifle cases like .22 Hornet and .30 Carbine but also in magnum pistol and revolver cartridges like .357 S&W Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .454 Casull and .500 S&W.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    N110 is NOT similar to H110/WW296, but more like 2400 in application. N105 is Vihtavuori's fastest rifle powder in this country, and that is like BlueDot. ... felix
    felix

Remember, what cycles the gun and doesn't depends on the shape of the pressure curve produced by the cartridge as loaded. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    what COAL were you ending with ?
    For the Lee c309-170 F, my OAL is 1.927". With 15.5 grains of RL7, it cycles the action fine. I would estimate velocity between 1500-1600 fps from 16" carbine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Remember, what cycles the gun and doesn't depends on the shape of the pressure curve produced by the cartridge as loaded. ... felix
    To add to felix' point, remember with the AR's DI gas system, the gas volume (amount of gas created compared to the space it needs to fill) and dwell time (dictated by the distance from the gas port to the muzzle) effect functioning of the action too.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

Great, now I have to remember all the stuff I slept through when the teacher was giving a lecture on fluid dynamics

I actually considered the dwell time of the pressure wave when comparing the volume of the .223 barrel and the .308 barrel when factoring in a 14 drain load of 4227. The 5.56/.223 loads I'm using have reportedly been cycling the 300 blk with a 155 gr boolit. Granted, the velocity is lower but the pressure wave seems adequate to cycle the action. The top end charge of 4227 for a 155 is higher, but cycling has reportedly begun at closer to 12.9 grains. I don't know personally, my upper parts are still on order.

I don't know the size of the gas port on the 300 I'm getting, or the port size of the 5.56 I've built. I know some folks have enlarged their ports, and added adjustable porting, in order to run subsonic loads. I don't intend to run subsonic but I'm sure I will play with it over time. My main focus is to launch the Lee C312-155 2R with a decent mid range plinker, work up some performance rounds just because, but mostly run mid range to save wear and tear on the gun and the brass. I'm looking forward to testing things out, and applying the principles learned here and from classes I didn't actually sleep through.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Pm me your addy:

Flat nose should be better smack down for any hunting application. Have a big box of them here in BHN #9 alloy. I shoot those over 26 grains of Rx7 in the 30-30 Win 94 AE with 12 twist barrel. Never clocked them but they still hit in the front sight dot at 100 yards so they are over 2,000 fps. I’ll need to cast you up some hard ones for a fast twist barrel.

My mold is set up in a Magma one arm bandit casting machine. Then yes Saeco sells the four cavity that will run many per hour. Big production point is it will run through a Star size machine. Most rifle bullets actually do not very well.

If this flat nose will not run in a 300 Black out I don’t know what FN would. Have been looking for a few years waiting to see this bullet show up in the 300 BO threads. Well dugh I guess we’ll see. I’m no big 300 blackout fan but my son in law is all excited about getting one. Since he reads magazines. So I need a boolit. Lol

We’ll need to try the MP 180 HP also. And the lyman 311672.
    Just for giggles. If that’s to much work on your schedule just say so.
    Not looking to dump work on you.

Gabby & MGySgt,
    I am very curious as to weather the Saeco boolit will work in the 300BO. I just built one and I am looking for a good hunting boolit. I know everyone has great luck with the Lee 155, but I want either a larger meplat or a HP. The problem that seems to happen with the HP is it gets crushed while cycling. I am a fan of larger meplats for hunting anyways. I am still waiting for dies and case length trimmer to make brass for now. PLEASE keep us updated with your results! Good Luck!
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

according to Vihtavuori, there is no N105 and N110 IS there fastest rifle powder, http://www.lapua.com/upload/download...let2011eur.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Pm me your addy:

We’ll need to try the MP 180 HP also. And the lyman 311672.
    Just for giggles. If that’s to much work on your schedule just say so.
    Not looking to dump work on you.
    Snail Mail address sent.

I enjoy working a load more than just shooting so send them on - just don't expect results over night!
    Big Bore = 45+

Quote Originally Posted by Jbiker View Post
    what COAL were you ending with ?
    I assume you were talking to Boolseye.
    Big Bore = 45+

Quote Originally Posted by Jbiker View Post
    what COAL were you ending with ? sounds like your too long ,if your hitting the rifling. max for the coal 2.260. seems like you should be around 2.200/2.240..for feeding out of a standard mag .
    2.200 COL is what I reported in the first real test.

What is hitting the rifling is the first driving band. Boolit has plenty of space in the mag.
    Last edited by MGySgt; 01-19-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    Big Bore = 45+

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    PLEASE keep us updated with your results! Good Luck!
    I will report all my findings in this thread.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by karlrudin View Post
    according to Vihtavuori, there is no N105 and N110 IS there fastest rifle powder, http://www.lapua.com/upload/download...let2011eur.pdf
    I can post a pic of my bottle of N105, if you'd like. IIRC, they listed N105 in their pistol powder line (the N300s), because it was so quick-burning, it's applications mostly all fall in magnum pistol applications. Still, it is an N100-series powder, and so, technically, is part of their rifle product line.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

Saz drug me into the 300 madness. Got a barrel, bolt, reloading dies and brass, waiting for me to get home. I will be watching this thread with great interest also
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got everything to build my 300 AAC Blackout except the adjustable gas block and flash hider. I may change my mind and swap out my hand guard and may do an initial build using a standard block from a previous 5.56 build. I guess I can even omit my flash hider and run with bare threads for a while. Ultimately I want to use a dedicated BCG and CH, but for testing will swap them in from my nearly new 5.56 upper.

Anyhooooo, I am eagerly watching what you folks have to say about lead bullet loads for this new-to-me caliber so I don't end up chasing rabbits when I can benefit from your shared experiences. Thanks in advance!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

NO, no! Get the variable block, and make sure you can get max possible pressure out of it AND the barrel. This is assuming you have the carbine length gas system. Pistol length system would be ideal so all kinds of real pistol powders can be used to make all kinds of loads from mild to wild. Then no variable gas block would be needed. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 01-22-2014 at 05:01 PM.
    felix

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, Felix. Gun show this weekend!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Do this thing right, Froggie, and you won't need any 30 caliber pellet gun for back yard fun. ... felix
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by DanWalker View Post
    Saz drug me into the 300 madness. Got a barrel, bolt, reloading dies and brass, waiting for me to get home. I will be watching this thread with great interest also
    Sorry man, but you started it...... HAHAHAHA!
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast