Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Gun show find!

Gun show find!

Look what I scored today at a local gun show! 2 cavity mold casting a couple 0.312 boolits I'm hoping to use in my 308WIN. Need a sizer die, top punch, and some gas checks now. First rifle boolit mold for me!

That's a nice looking Boolit - Lyman or Ideal? Gas checked? - how much does it weigh?

Sort of looks like the Ideal 30812
    Last edited by Artful; 01-26-2014 at 12:04 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Nice lookin boolit! Can't tell, is it gas check?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Gas checked. It's an Ideal 311467. Was new old stock until I cast a few tonight.

je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Top Punch for both was No.467

Ballistic Coefficient shows as
    311467 _ 0.320@2200+ _ 0.305 _ 0.300@under 1600

Actually a quick search on this site shows quite a few threads for you new toy
    Char-Gar gave a nice write up
    311467 was one of the bullets designed by Guy Loverin and is highly regarded by shooters. It is a modern offering up of the old multi-band schutzen bullets. This bullet can be found with a variety of specs as Lyman couldn't seem to grind two cherries in a row to the same specs.

The top three bands were of different sizes, tapered to enter the throat and the rest were of the same size. In some rifles these top three bands are to large to enter the throat and the bullet must be deep seated. In other rifles this is not necessary.

I size the top two bands .302 and the rest .311 or .310. These top two bands will provide a good fit and ride on top of the lands. I get excellent accuracy with this bullet in several 30-06 rifles.

The levergun folks wanted a version, so Loverin gave it a flat point, losing about five grains and called it 311407.

When we did the first group buy 311407 Mod a few years back, I speced the bullet to go .302 on the top two bands and about .313 on the rest. We had to drop one band so the bullet would fit in the Lee blocks. It has proven to be an excellent bullet and several runs have been made.

With these bullet you need only lube the grooves contained in the case neck. The others can be left bare.

I have not found lubing the grooves outside of the neck to harm accuracy, just unnecessary. The issue for me is the all of that lube can attract and hold grit that can harm the bore if fired down the tube. It is not a problem if you are shooting at a bench and can keep your ammo clean. But for a field rifle, that can be problematic.

Like you, It bothered me to see all of those naked lube gooves, but consider the long unlubed nose on many designs, and there isn't much difference. But once you tried it you will find that three or or four bands gives plenty of lube.

I am one of those who believe the primary function of bullet lube is to seal the base of the bullet and keep fire from the sides. Whatever actual lubication that takes places may be important, but is of secondary importance.

We have gone round and round for years on this board about the purpose of bullet lube, but the above is my uninformed opinion stated as fact.

This is an excellent bullet for the 30-06. Will work well in the .308, but that short case neck is always a problem to deal with. 303 SMLE rifles have barrel specs all over the map and this bullet may or may not work, most likely it will not be a good choice. The Belgian/Argentine mauser is a fat 30 caliber running about .312 in the grooves, and 311467 will work, if your molds casts large enough. That is a big IF.

Trying to find one bullet that will do well in all four rounds specified will be quite a challenge and will require a fat bullet capable of being sized down for the standards 30s (3-06 and 308) and still be large enough for the Brit and Artentine rounds.

At any rate, 311467 is out of print and your mold will find many welcome buyers if placed for sale in the classified section of this board.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ghlight=311467
    Last edited by Artful; 01-26-2014 at 12:24 AM.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    Thats a very accurate bullet in my .30-40 1898 Krag rifle. Since the .308 & .30-40 have nearly the same case capacity, it should do well in your rifle.

Excellent! Thanks for the info! I was really impressed by the quality of the boolits it cast. This one was cast from straight cowws and weighed on average 180.6 grains. Never dealt with gas checks and am just getting set up with a lubesizer. These guys may be opening up a whole new casting experience for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats on a nice find, looking forward to a range report once you get some sized, lubed and checked.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.