Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are you gentlemen doing to stave off cabin fever?

Boolit Buddy

cabin fever

I have a right nice wood working shop with a 15 " planner ,a
    8" joiner 5hp table saw 20 " band saw , router tables ,24 " drum sander etc. I have real good access to a African Hardwood called Sapele (similar to Mahogany) .Enclosed are a few pics of a entertainment center im doing for my nephew . Ill post some pics when its done. I usually make 3to 4 thousand crab mallets for my stores in the winter . Most of my work is for family pretty much making a good bit of the furniture in my 2 sons houses . Sort of keeps me busy. The one pic is a Bed Headboard I made for a fishing friend .
    In the summer im out of that shop and on the water or the shooting range. So I have no problem with cabin fever tks KEN
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   IMG_1037.jpg   IMG_1039.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Snuffy, if you don't want big muscles do a lot of reps with light weight. This builds long stringy muscle and builds stamina rather than big bulgy muscle. You are still getting your self in shape, and you will gradually want to increase the weight, but starting with 10lbs and 50 reps rather than 50lbs and 10 reps will make a big difference.
    Thanks Wayne, my son stopped so we could watch the Packers loose, he said the same thing. He even offered to go along with me tomorrow. PF (planet fitness) has 1 day passes, so it'll be good to have company.

I want very badly to get back in shape. Matt will be getting married next spring, (2015), so I should loose this belly by then!

That makes sense to use less weight more often to build endurance. Matt said I may even be able to stop taking insulin completely.

I'd dearly love to go shooting, just too darn cold. I may just give up on the outdoor, just shoot the GP-100 indoors. AFTER a session at PF of course!!!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Maybe it's because they don't grow up playing Cowboys and Indians, Guns, Cops and Robbers, and haven't developed any bad habits that have to be overcome. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    They also tend to listen and do what they are told. Guys tend to think they know better and refuse to listen. -btroj

You're both right. And if she talks with her hands she'll likely be an excellent pistol shot with a little good instruction.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

Find new recipes, do some bullet casting and reloading, cook, get annoyed by 2 25+ pound cats, ham radio so I talk all over the world...

Boolit Master
    What's cabin fever?

I walked the wolf tonight at about 10:00 PM. It was about 66* F out, a light breeze, starry sky, even a windbreaker was too warm.

The weather is the only thing I'll miss after I've departed this politically polluted State.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

In Remebrance

Who has enough spare time to even get cabin fever? Any of you bored folks are more than welcome to come on over to the farm and help out here. Dress warm.....

Boolit Master
    snuffy, keep up with the weights and walking we all want you around for a while and it helps with shooting also.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don Purcell View Post
    snuffy, keep up with the weights and walking we all want you around for a while and it helps with shooting also.
    Thanks Don, I didn't realize how badly I had deteriorated.

27 judge, that's some fine furniture! I mean wow, just WOW! I really wish I had woodworking skills. My life made a different path once I reached that "fork in the road". I went to metal working, mainly welding and some lathe work. I worked for other people, made a good living, no complaints.

-13 degrees right now, clear skies, 20+ mph wind. Furnace runs almost constantly, hate to see next months utility bill!
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    cast and reload. I have a 20' range in the barn with a bullet trap for .22. if I can find .22. when I was still living at home we had a pool table. we have one now but no room to set it up. have to put a summer kitchen on.

Moderator Emeritus

My cure for the furnace running to much and a cold living room(no basement under it and badly insulated, built in the 50's)

Also my power outage backup heat, pellet stove that runs on 12 volts DC

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Thanks Don, I didn't realize how badly I had deteriorated.

27 judge, that's some fine furniture! I mean wow, just WOW! I really wish I had woodworking skills. My life made a different path once I reached that "fork in the road". I went to metal working, mainly welding and some lathe work. I worked for other people, made a good living, no complaints.

-13 degrees right now, clear skies, 20+ mph wind. Furnace runs almost constantly, hate to see next months utility bill!

Boolit Master

My son and his fiance want to put a pellet stove in their cabin they're renting. Her dad sells them, he would come up to install it. Found out the landlords insurance company would NOT insure the place with a pellet stove installed. They have electric radiant heat!

My stepson has one installed in his house. It really works great, he cut his heat bill in half the first winter with it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Thanks Wayne, my son stopped so we could watch the Packers loose, he said the same thing. He even offered to go along with me tomorrow. PF (planet fitness) has 1 day passes, so it'll be good to have company.

I want very badly to get back in shape. Matt will be getting married next spring, (2015), so I should loose this belly by then!

That makes sense to use less weight more often to build endurance. Matt said I may even be able to stop taking insulin completely.

I'd dearly love to go shooting, just too darn cold. I may just give up on the outdoor, just shoot the GP-100 indoors. AFTER a session at PF of course!!!
    Definitely get back into shape. If you push the exercise, and I mean to a good sweat at least a couple times a week, and seriously control your carbs, you might, and might not, get off the insulin. That is as much a function of if and how much your beta cells in your pancreas recover as a result of your rehabilitation. If they recover well you might get off all your meds. If you are on meds for hypertension, cholesterol, or triglycerides you are likely to not need those even if you may still have to supplement your insulin. Realize your body is a marvelous instrument that responds to maltreatment and recovers. Pushing the exercise is a major part of that rehabilitation.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Went hunting Jan. 2-6. Feels good to be warm again.

A troubador I once liked wrote:

"This mornin', I shot six holes in my freezer
    I think I got cabin fever
    Somebody sound the alarm"

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Moderator Emeritus

wow usually pellet stoves are easy to insure because they are so safe. Way safer than a wood stove. Wonder if the ladlord told insurance wood stove and not pellet stove.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	93355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1052.jpg 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	93356

Casting/reloading/shooting/ Fishing in the upper Chesapeake Bay when the weather permits. But when cabin fever time comes around (Bad weather) I turn to my wood shop. Here is the finished product ( have to put the back on it yet) . A entertainment center for my nephew in VA, its 60" long 37" high and 18" deep. has 8 coats of hand rubbed oil for a finish. This pretty much took care of the bad weather period tks KEN

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 27judge View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	93355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1052.jpg 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	93356

Casting/reloading/shooting/ Fishing in the upper Chesapeake Bay when the weather permits. But when cabin fever time comes around (Bad weather) I turn to my wood shop. Here is the finished product ( have to put the back on it yet) . A entertainment center for my nephew in VA, its 60" long 37" high and 18" deep. has 8 coats of hand rubbed oil for a finish. This pretty much took care of the bad weather period tks KEN
    Do you make this for sale? I'm looking for a desk/vanity to put a sink on when I remodel my bathroom this year. Putting in maple heated floors and a clawfoot bathtub.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    tks for the reply but I do this only as a hobby. I have filled my 2 sons houses with furniture but that's as far as I want to go . This way when the rockfish season starts im free and ready to go fishing or was it duck/goose hunting or maybe it was deer hunting and I think squirrel hunting gets in there also. tks KEN

Boolit Buddy
    Take up casting, then ya don't need to wait for them bullets to arrive.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Grand Master

While it does not get bitter cold, here in the south, the high humidity can make it tough to be outside. I also live in farm country, so its pretty open here and the wind chill can be tough. I also work outside, sometimes 24/7, so I kinda enjoy my time off during the winter, after hunting season is over.I clean up my loading room, catch up on case prep and load ammo for my spring PD hunt. I also play on the puter, and enjoy a drink in front of a roaring fire in the fireplace. I'm not retired yet, but close, so my off time is limited. Kinda looking forward to it, though! Am seeing some good ideas here! Lightman

Boolit Master
    I can't get to far from the house, had a horse fall on me and now I have nerve damage in my right hip. Doing therapy and reading forum threads for hours. I'll be good to go in a few weeks.
    Going to try adding copper to alloy when it warms up

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast