WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need LLA Recipe,

Boolit Bub

Need LLA Recipe,

Going back to tumble lubing and 45/45/10 type lube. So how do I make Lee L Alox. and Or How can I convert Ben's Red to Tumble lube Mix. Pan lubing is not working out for me.
    I tried hot tumble lubing with Ben's Red. Don't recommend it.
    I need a thinner for Ben's Red that will evaporate out and leave the tumble coating. It seems that beeswax will not let Ben's Red disolve like LLA will.
    Mike

"Lee Liquid Alox" Heavy on the LEE. White label lubes sells something like it too (alox with solvent).
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe a little clearer...
    LLA is a product sold by Lee Precision, tough to "make" Lee Liquid Alox on your own
    45-45-10 is 45% LLA, 45% Johnson's Paste Wax and 10% Mineral Spirits
    Some I suspect substitute Carnauba Wax in various ways to substitute for the Johnson's Paste Wax
    As mentioned, White Label Lubes, a great contributor to this site sells bulk Liquid ALOX that works as a substitute for LLA (used like the original or in the recipe above) as well as selling finished 45-45-10 Lube by the quart. Good stuff, what ever you decide.

Boolit Master

This may be a solution for some boolits or some situations. Nothing will replace the speed of tumble lubing though.
    Check this out if you failed at pan lubing:
    Dip lubing lead boolits

For a long time I didn't owned a lube sizer, so I dipped all my lead bullets to lube them. Here are some simple tips to make dipping easier.
    Using an already sized gas or no gas checked bullet
    1) Melt your lube and have plenty of old news paper or paper towels handy. Use low heat so you don’t ruin the lube quality. A simple home made double boiler works great.
    2) Heat your lead bullets so they are HOT to the touch 150-175 Deg F.
    3) Using a needle noose pliers dip your bullets to the point where there is no more lube grooves let drip for a few seconds.
    4) wipe the bottom of bullet on a paper towel and set on Wax paper to cool
    * Hotter the bullets the less lube will stick to them when dipping.
    * Need more lube on your bullets, cool your bullets a little before dipping them, more lube will stick.
    * These bullets will be ready to load in 10- 15 minutes

bhn22
    LLA was originally automotive rustproofing compound (allegedly Ziebart). Not undercoating, but the stuff the dealers would squirt inside your cars body panels. If you want a spray on version, Cosmolene is now available in spray cans, and it certainly smells & acts the same. I thought LLA was cool, until I had to dig it out of my bullet seating and crimping dies a few times. The short version is that Lee doesn't make it either, they buy it and package it. Their MSDS will give you some information. http://dragonbulletlube.com/data/ALO...-55HF-MSDS.pdf

simply put - buy alox , thin with mineral spirits until desired viscosity

not sure what type of solvent lee uses but the above is pretty darn close , the hint is lee states to use mineral spirits to thin or clean their LLA

of note * room temp and warmed alox behave very differently ( room temp is more umm solid so to speak )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Bub
    I've used 45-45-10 quite a bit but find I have finally run out of those little bottles of LLA. I've read quite a few recipes here and I assume most of them are for sizers and pan lubers. None have specifically stated for tumble lubing. I like the Ben's Red some what. It sticks better to your fingers than the bullet grooves though. But Beeswax has Me stumped as to what it actually is. I'm guessing that it is not petroleum so exactly what is it and how to thin it for tumble lubing.
    with a liquid that will evaporate back out. Some of the solvents that I have tried the beeswax has clumped back out of the mixture.

Moderator Emeritus

recipe for 45-45-10
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-amp-Mess-Free

Quote Originally Posted by Tomuchiron View Post
    I've used 45-45-10 quite a bit but find I have finally run out of those little bottles of LLA. I've read quite a few recipes here and I assume most of them are for sizers and pan lubers. None have specifically stated for tumble lubing. I like the Ben's Red some what. It sticks better to your fingers than the bullet grooves though. But Beeswax has Me stumped as to what it actually is. I'm guessing that it is not petroleum so exactly what is it and how to thin it for tumble lubing.
    with a liquid that will evaporate back out. Some of the solvents that I have tried the beeswax has clumped back out of the mixture.
    Beeswax is a natural product made by honey Bees to encapsulate their Honey in little Hexagonal cells
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Pan lube and tumble are 2 very different things they have no relation to on another as far as the recipes go
    The link in post 2 is your best bet cheap easy and many years supply in that bottle or you can buy xlox from him (same as LLA) and mix your own but I can't see any reason to

Quote Originally Posted by Tomuchiron View Post
    Try this:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-amp-Mess-Free

Banned
    just use Planet Waves "step 2" liquid carnauba wax.Works as well or better than LLA.No need to mix your own.

I had Ziebart on my old Chevy from the late 70's it was thicker but did sure smell similar to Lee alox as i remember.

http://planetwaves.com/publish/pwPro...9-fb5aafcf51d4
    Last edited by cbashooter; 01-06-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Still need a recipe for LLA. Surely somebody has figured out how to Duplicate it.
    Thanks for all the good response guys. I've learned a lot from this site. Thinking back to a lot of the older methods i used to use, the internet has been has been an outstanding source of nearly immediate information.
    Mike
    Last edited by Tomuchiron; 01-06-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    It isn't to be duplicated. It is a product you can't replicate. Just buy it from White Label.

bhn22
    Lee doesn't make it either. They buy it, and package it.

in essence , as stated , lee buys it , cuts it with a fast drying solvent to their desired viscosity and packages it , as i stated before they may not use mineral spirits per say but it's assuredly a similar solvent , in essence it's thinned down alox , in order to make the thinner stuff first you have to get the thicker stuff , f.w.i.w. even lee ( and various folks on here - including myself ) suggest to further thin down lee's product for better drying , since i found recluse's excellent recipe i no longer use LLA straight ( or thinned down ) but i usually have a bottle of the recipe handy

http://www.hgsitebuilder.com/files/w...escription.jpg

the liquid stuff is Alox 606-55HF ( thinned down to a usable consistency )

here's a link lar's msds on them

http://www.lsstuff.com/msds
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Man
    ok I am confused is 45/45/10 for tumble lube or pan lube

Boolit Bub

Need LLA Recipe,

tumble

Boolit Grand Master

Lubrizol Corp.

These are the folks who make ALOX. LEE buys it from them and repackages it.
    I think they only selll it in drums.

http://www.lubrizol.com/WebSearch.as...tion=ascending

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Beeswax has Me stumped as to what it actually is.

Not me,I'm not confused at all about it.
    It is Beeswax, the bees make it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast