RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Intro

Boolit Mold

Intro

Hello All,
    I'm new here, just registered today. I have viewed quite a bit in the past, as searches involving whatever my latest need or desire for info have often lead me in this direction. The latest was a search for current contact info on Harry O. I recently picked up a Colt New Navy in 41 Long Colt and have some questions. I'll post that in a bit in the correct area.
    My name is Jim, and [you guessed it] I'm from Trafalgar, IN., a little town about 30 miles south of Indianapolis. My full time, damn it gets in the way of important stuff, is as Service Supervisor at an HVAC&R contractor just NW of Indy. I'm also a part time gunsmith, specializing in mostly old and custom guns. I do a lot of rust blue, nitre blue, bore work, etc., on higher grade SxS's and rifles. I also do a bit of stock work, but since I hand checker, I seldom do that for pay as I do good work but I'm slow. I've recently decided to join the local NCOWS posse, but haven't officially signed as yet. My idea of "modern" is my 99 Savage or a 1911, so I should fit right in I would think. I recently competed in my first shoot using my old Webley W.G. Target,[now shooting 45 Colt], and a newer 92 Winchester in the same chambering.
    Loading for the 45 Colt is what has brought me here more often than anything, both for target and hunting. I've recently started down the path of casting, as I've not been all that happy with some of Boolits I've purchased in the past. So far I've managed to do a lot of reading, accumulate some lead, and purchase one RCBS mold in a 265 gr., .455 dia., HB that I got for the Webley. I don't have a lube and sizing press or dies, nor mold handles yet, but those aren't too far off.
    Glad to meet you.
    Jim

Welcome Jim. 45 Colt got me into casting and now I shoot and hunt pretty much with cast boolits. My first mold was an 45 cal. RCBS 255 SWC.

Good luck and have fun with that Webley!
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Buddy
    welcome jim

Boolit Master

Welcome, you will be an addict like the rest of us soon.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master
    Welcome aboard Jim. Please post often.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Yes! Welcome to the addiction!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Buddy
    JimfromTrafalgar, Welcome and since you have a 41LC check out the group buy section Mehec has a 386HB mold that he is going to make (someday ) just for the 41 LC. I figure one more buyer couldn't hurt.

Boolit Master

Welcome Jim,from your intro I think you aready have a lot of the knoledge that can help others.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Welcome Jim from the jungle (aka rain forests) of the Olympic Peninsula.

Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the madness Jim.

Ron

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm a technical type of guy, usually wanting to know the reason behind something and seldom accepting a blank statement at face value unless backed by reference or reasons. This being the case, I may be somewhat of a frustration to some, at times. Rather than doing so over some things that many of you probably consider common knowledge and very basic, I've been looking around a bit. All I can say is that there is a lot more to this than I had first expected. I've found myself lost in threads on things that have little or nothing to do with what I was originally searching out. I'm trying to get as familiar with the basics as I can before asking questions that have been asked umpteen times before. I know that I certainly have gotten tired of explaining a certain process or procedure over and over on other forums, so assume that the same applies to many of you. That said, I know I will still ask things that fall in that category from time to time. In fact, I very well may question things which tend to be accepted as gospel by many. Please take no offense to any of that as there certainly will be no intent on my part. Take the 41 Long Colt that brought me here in the first place. I've done some searching, and found little to nothing thus far.[ It very well may be my method of searching]. At any rate, in asking for some insight on that, it may be that some aspects of the subject are very basic. Have patience with me on that. I've literally fallen asleep at the computer getting lost on little bits of minutia lately. So I may have missed things, misinterpreted, or simply forgotten. At the same time, I'll be happy to answer any questions that may come up on things that I know well and consider very basic. My background in the field of refrigeration and the movement of heat comes in handy on seemingly unrelated topics sometimes. I've also been very lucky in that a good portion of my knowledge concerning guns comes from a truly gifted and well grounded man from London who has a good number of years in the gun business. He and his kind are becoming more and more rare and that is truly a great loss to all of us. He share's his knowledge freely and I try to pass on what I can remember of that. This appears to be the type of place, and full of the type of people, who understand this well. I'm pretty certain I'm going to like it here.

Thanks Again,
    Jim