Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rem model 51 back in production

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    Attachment 92951

Maybe Remington can do better and duplicate the original Model 53. That one was more graceful than a Sig P210. Here's another view.
    I don't know...... It kinda looks like an Astra........

I just figured that they're "re-introducing" (recycling???) just about everything else these days (car body styles, movies, etc.)

Dan

Groo here
    A 51 in 357sig and a 53 in 10mm PLEASE.........

Quote Originally Posted by 220swiftfn View Post
    I don't know...... It kinda looks like an Astra........

I just figured that they're "re-introducing" (recycling???) just about everything else these days (car body styles, movies, etc.)

Dan
    Which is interesting because most retro products copy the style but miss the substance. Like the new cars that take a few styling cues from the original but no mechanical similarity.

The R51 has new styling (not retro), but appears to have all the substantive mechanical design of the Model 51, excepting two recognized issues of the original (sights and slide lock).

That is, unless Dan is right and Remington was trying to rehash the Astra style and by chance goobered up the mechanical design into something Pedersen-like. [insert smiley]

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    Which is interesting because most retro products copy the style but miss the substance. Like the new cars that take a few styling cues from the original but no mechanical similarity.

The R51 has new styling (not retro), but appears to have all the substantive mechanical design of the Model 51, excepting two recognized issues of the original (sights and slide lock).

That is, unless Dan is right and Remington was trying to rehash the Astra style and by chance goobered up the mechanical design into something Pedersen-like. [insert smiley]
    Hey, I can accept that kind of screwup!!!

Dan

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 220swiftfn View Post
    Hey, I can accept that kind of screwup!!!

Dan
    Me, too--and quite happily. If it turns out to be one of those "Carried a lot and shot just enough" sitches, at less than $400 MSRP it has served its role well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    A little off topic ,but in the vein of repros. Since Remington has resurected one Peterson design , I sure wish they would do up a nice Rem 25 in the original calibers and maybe 357 to make it modern! Those 25s are the sweetest handling 32-20s I've ever shot. All steel and walnut too. Won't replace my originals but I would jump right on a new one if done up right.
    Sorry for the hi jak!

Boolit Master
    Last ressurected auto pistol design I looked into was the beautiful old Wolverine .22 pistol.
    Unfortunately they decided to make those with a plastic frame instead of the original aluminum frame.
    The Wolverine was designed to use materials less sturdy than steel, but I just never cottened to plastic frames. I don't even like plastic grips for that matter.

I'd like to see the original Model 51 manufactured today, even in .380.
    But I had always wondered why they did not build this pistol in 9mm.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123