Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Lee Load All II vs MEC 600 Jr. Mk. 5

Lee Load All II vs MEC 600 Jr. Mk. 5

Hey guys, happy new year

I ran a quick Google search and found posts about this topic, and I'm reasonably certain there are even several threads here at home in CastBoolits forums...But, I havn't been on the forums for a few months and I'd like to chit chat with yall a bit 'cause I miss ya. :-p

I, being so loved and blessed with awesome family, have received both a Lee Load All II and a MEC 600 Jr. Mk V for Christmas presents (long story why I got both). I've been casting and loading for pistol and rifle rounds, i'd say with some variance back and forth between casually every once in a while to stark-ravingly-addicted, for a handful of years now. I'll be honest, when it comes to shotgun reloading, I know between jack-diddly and diddly squat. When I was choosing what pistol powder to use, I did find the fact that Alliant's Unique powder's ability to also be used as a shotgun powder appealing- I figured Some day I might load for shotguns, and perhaps it swung my decision for using Unique.

So main purpose of this post-

Lee vs MEC:
    ~What do you guys like better/recommend?
    ~ If neither, what do you use?
    ~What might be some positive and negative features/functions of these models? Pros/Cons
    ~Is there anything significant I should know in terms of how reloading shotgun shells is different from centerfire reloading? (tips on shotgun reloading, safety warnings, ect)
    ~ Are there any awesome sites/videos/forum threads I should read/view?

Thanks
    John
    I believe you...but my Tommy gun don't.

Boolit Master

Without a doubt you'll get overwhelming responses for the MEC. That being said, I'm not the hater of LLA II's that some are. I started my shotgun reloading with the Lee Load All and made thousands of good quality shells. The key to good ammo with the Lee is the right component combo (hull, wad, powder) with the right stack height for a good fit. The Lee has no "adjustments" for the pre crimp or final crimp to account for the differences in hulls. Some will say to compensate using "feel" and you can somewhat but you get inconsistant results. I moved on to the MEC Sizemaster (I have two; 12ga and 28ga) for the majority of loads (feed my skeet habit) but still keep my LLA's around for the occasional buckshot or slug loads. I usually only load up a handfull of those a year and don't want to adjust my Sizemasters for a few shells.

One of the biggest differences between shotgun reloading and metallic is that a shot shell has NO overpressure indications like a metallic case does. For example, a flattened primer means nothing in a shot shell so.....STICK WITH PUBLISHED LOADS from reputable sources. Buy a Lymans Shotshell load manual to learn about the types of hulls, wads, powders, primers, and visit shotgunworld.com. That website has a reloading forum (similar to this one) and there are guys there that live and breath shotgun shooting and reloading.

Good Luck
    Semper Fi

Boolit Buddy

For shotgun shell reloading stick to the exact components listed in the books unless you've got a local guru that can help you match up components. OBTW, you could convert the Load All II to a different bore such as 16 or 20 and then use both machines. There's some decent videos on youtube for a quick tutor on using the Load All.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

I have both Lee and MEC machines. The MEC is easier to use but doesn't include all the shot and powder bushings. You can spend a lot on bushings. I started with the Lee many years ago and still use it for small batches and slugs/buckshot. The Lee loading data sheet is great, making it simple to load safe shells. I will repeat the above warning: Follow loading data exactly, do not substitute ANY component from published data. You risk your gun and health otherwise. Unique is a good choice if you want to use one powder.

Banned

I like the Load All but most will prefer the MEC, any MEC. I use it for hull prep as I only do slugs and Buckshot and neither MEC or Load All can load slugs and buckshot. For hull prep it works great. The load all will size the brass base, but not all MECs will, you have to get one with a sizer or buy their $100.00 sizer for your bench. For around $50 the Load All is a fantastic deal for someone like me.

This is just my humble opinion, but the new version of the Load-All is a pile of junk. I bought one hoping to save money because I don't load a lot of shotgun shells. The older version (my old man had one) had an aluminum base and worked fine. However, the one currently being produced has a cheap plastic base. Thus, whenever I pulled the lever down the base flexed, causing the dies to strike the shells at an angle. It left marks on the sides of the shells where the end of the die pressed into the side of the shell because of this angle. The Load-All crimps horribly, too.

I hated that tool so much I gave it away to a newbie reloader, and went to a gun show in search of a Mec 600 Jr. I found one for under $100 and it was well worth it. Single stage loading, like the 600 Jr. provides, is rather slow going compared to some of the progressive presses; however, since I don't load a whole lot of shotgun shells I'll live with it for the price. If I was a serious shotgunner I'd invest in a progressive press. Regarding bushings for the Mec, I spent $25 on a "universal charge bar," which has adjustable dials for the powder and shot charges.

Boolit Master

Grabbed a load all to try loading some 16 Ga as I wasn't sure that I was going to load many. I think it works fine but it is slow compared to my Mecs. I load for 12, 16, and 20 Ga. I have since purchased a Mec for 16 ga as I've ended up shooting it a lot more than I had thought and figured might as well make all the loaders the same. I have the universal charge bars on all three of mine, wouldn't go any other way myself. I like to experiment like I do with my metallic cartridges and having to mess around with bushing just wasn't going to cut it for me, BTW by experiment I mean try different listed loads, not experiment as in experiment... Didn't want anybody to get their panties in a bunch over that word

I say go with the Mec, I like the RCBS shotgun load manual myself and recommend it. Best place I've found to buy shot is from rotometals.com a sponsor here (no where local for me). Enjoy!

Boolit Master
    The MEC is very versatile:

It can handle (with the right kit) 2-¾, 3 and 3-½" shotshells.
    Drop shot from 1/2oz to 2-¼ oz.
    Powder and shot hoppers are easily removed or emptied.
    MEC has the most powder bushings compared to anyone else but a fellow can use:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746...-jr-sizemaster
    To dial in his powder and shot drops.

Not a fan of the Load All II.

At all.

r1kk1

Boolit Master

I've had both, the LLA II is fine for small amounts, if you do alot of shotgun shooting you should have the MEC.

I also have used both... Cut my teeth on loading shot shells with a borrowed Lee. Currently use 5 different MEC loaders.... Including the 600jr bought new in 1984. The Lee loads ammo, but I would not recommend one. Money better spent on a used MEC. That old jr loaded enough ammo for dad, bro, & I to shoot league and practice for a decade. Really slow compared to a progressive, but I still use it to experiment before I set up the progressive press for production.

Boolit Buddy
    I also have both, Lee in 20ga and Mec in 410, Mec is the better press but with the Lee coming with all the bushings it cost about 15% of what I have spent on the Mec