Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Browning b-92 44 mag

Boolit Bub

Browning b-92 44 mag

Cast bullets in the Browning b-92 44 mag ?

So, I have read pretty much everything I can find on the B-92.
    Now I just have one very simple question .

Due to the large bore and maximum COL in this rifle what bullet mold works for this rifle ?

I will Be starting with wheelweights but I have tin and antimony. probably around 250gr will be fine. Of course I'm looking for a fairly large meplat as well.

And who might have said mold for sale that they will ship to Canada ?

Boolit Master

I have the Winchester 92, and it likes the lyman 429421 just fine. I shoot straight coww in it.

Vendor Sponsor

I am sure many bullets will work. I have experience with https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...sku=0000690483 this Lee bullet in the Browning B-92 44mag. 25 years ago two bull elk in two years taken. both at about 150 yards. One shot once and one shot twice but did not need to.
    The bullet was a little tricky to cast but needing only a few to hunt with I did the following -WW alloy heat-treated body with a 20-1 lead-tin nose. The nose does not heat-treat.
    These are cast at the same time with two pots of the different alloy. Trial and error pour a soft nose and quickly follow up with ww alloy body. Oven heat-treat. 255 grain out of my mould and alloys.
    Chill Wills

My suggestion: If you want to use maximum power loads in a rifle. You'll benefit from a gas check design.
    Slightly reduced loads or in a hand gun you don't need a gas check.

Banned

the browning 92 will not feed anything longer than the 1.610 saami length.
    the round will jam on the way up to the chamber if it's any longer.

you need to find a boolit that will not exceed this length when crimped into the groove.
    I make swaged bullets for mine and set the crimp groove where I need it with a canellure tool.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    My suggestion: If you want to use maximum power loads in a rifle. You'll benefit from a gas check design.
    Slightly reduced loads or in a hand gun you don't need a gas check.
    +1 on that! The Lyman 429244 at 270 gr was the max weight I could get to shoot well in an original production Browning M92 44 magnum many years back. Had to push it to max to get accuracy due to 38" twist. The Lee C429-240-SWC would be the one I'd try today. With either you can use full magnum level loads of Blue Dot, 2400, H110 or 296 and have very good accuracy and terminal effect for hunting.

For PB cast the Lyman 429460 worked the best in the B M92. The 429421 shot ok but had to be pushed hard for best accuracy and then it was a fine line between not enough velocity and too much for a PB'd cast bullet. Today I would look very hard at the RCBS 44-250-KT. Mine cast a bit shorter than the Lyman 429421 and I think they should do very well in the 38" twist at 1100 - 1300 fps. For plinking/small game loads I'd use the Lee 429-200-RF loaded over Bullseye at 1050 - 1150 fps.

BTW; if you've a revolver in .44 Magnum then load for accuracy in the rifle and the loads most often shoot very well in the revolver. Many magnum level loads, especially with PB's cast bullets, that shoot well in revolvers do not shoot that well from rifles because the longer barrels increase the velocity too much for the PB'd cast bullets.

BTW; add 2% tin to the COWWs for the PB'd cast bullets and for the GC'd cast add lead at 50/50 to the COWWs + 2% tin alloy. Best to size a minimum of .430 and use a good softer lube.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-02-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have wanted a B92 44mag for a long time, I had to settle for my Marlin

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Larry
    that's the kind of info that I'm after. I do have a lyman 429244 and just cast a few yesterday to see how they look. its snowing like mad here at the moment and I work for the next 2 days so maybe on the weekend I can give them a try. main problem with this mold is that it's probably too long to feed from the tube. I do have 2 44 mag revolvers as well, A 7 1/2 " Virginia Arms Dragoon and 5 1/2 " super Blackhawk .

Looks like I'll just order a mold with a .325 nose length. and maybe in the mean time I can try some 44 spl brass with my lyman bullet.

ramhunter

Boolit Grand Master

Should do well, stay warm.......it will be 65 and sunny here today

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

I've signed up for a GB for a boolet that I'm guessing will work for the Browning 92. My thinking is that this design dropping about 200-220 might work for the Browning since it has a very slow twist(at least mine does). I'm not recommending it to anyone since I have no experience with the Browning 92.

The GB is here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...5-GC-Cramer-HP!!!
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    When I first bought my B92, my gunsmith called it my 'cheese gun' because it had holes for a side scope mount and for an aperture sight, so I haven't been bashful about further modifying it. My walkin' around load for my SBHs & M29 was 8.5 of unique and a Keith, so I got mad when it wouldn't feed Keiths. I took it apart & did some whittling on the lifter, all was once again harmonious in the universe. Despite its twist, the gun has shot well with that Keith load, my pet M29 hunting/carry load, and any manner of lighter weight plinking loads. In fact since I started carrying my M29 again I think I'll put some decent sights on this B92, put it in the Tahoe for my mid-range gun, and let the rookies with the M4s snicker.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replys

not sure if I'm going to modify the lifter but I just might..
    thanks for the GB info John.
    I'm probably not going under 250grs for bullet weight. Where I live we have lots of bears and cougar as well.

ramhunter

Boolit Master
    I've puddy much given up finding a tolerable load for my Browning 92 in .44 mag. The only thing that shot well (1in.@25yds.) was max loads of 2400 and jacketed. I'm not doin' that. Part of it is the twist, as Larry mentioned, and part of it is the oversize bore (mine measures .433/.434) and I'm sure some of it is my eyesight and the open sights. I've tried 6 different molds and 6 different powders as I recall. Recoil was brutal with any load that would stay on paper. I am considering lapping a Lee 200gr. rnf mold out to .434 and see if that will even chamber once loaded. Failing that I'm going to swap this thing for the first Martini-Greener in 45/70 or 45 colt lever action I can find. Audie...the befuddled Oldfart..

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Mihec 432640, I would be happy to get you a few bullets to see if they feed. If they do, Miha made some .434" moulds as part of that run, he likely has some left over.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Boolit Master
    My Browning Centenial shoots best with .434 dia. boolits. I have a 434640 HP mould of Miha's that I have to try in it now.