Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman moly lube

Boolit Mold

Lyman moly lube

I am sure this has been gone over before. I really like moly lube, but I have had a hard time with it. It seems to harden in the dies and the press. Sometimes requiring a lot of pressure to get it to move. Using my wifes hair dryer helps but it is hard to keep at the right temp to flow. Would a heater work, or would that be too hot. Anyone dealt with this? If so could you give some tips or suggestions. I recently tried to use lymans alox lube but now I have a mix, and accuracy suddenly dropped off. Lymans moly lube has given me great accuracy in several cartridges and I would like to keep using it, but it is a pain.

Boolit Master

I have used that lube for years, even in an unheated room in the middle of the New Hampshire winter (my reloading room was in the unheated upstairs). The first couple of boolits required a little extra pressure on the lube piston, but once everything got moving it went well. I have never used Lyman Alox, but the Moly has given me excellent results in every rifle/caliber I have tried. If the hair dryer is working, continue using it or an alternate heat source.

Banned

I make my own version and it needs a little heat to get going too, once the sizer is warmed up and the lube is flowing it seems to keep on flowing just fine.

Boolit Mold
    All started out well, it seems the longer I used it the more trouble I seem to have. I have to put a lot of pressure on it to get the grooves filled, and then it will squirt out a wad of it under the bullet. After letting it set for a week or so I had to take out the die and using acetone clean it out and start over. Maybe it is just the way it is. It works so good I don't want to change. I shoot lever action silhouette and I can run a 175gr. out of my 30-30 at full throttle, for the rams at 200, with absolutely no leading. The bullets are water dropped lyman #2. Have any of you used a heater?

if below room temp i used to give it a lil kick to get it going ( hair dryer warm up ) room temp is usually 72-78 F or so ,a heater set on low wouldnt hurt , too warm and it tends to be even messier , i've always agreed that the lube works great , for me the smell and mess of it ... dictated something else lolz tho i much prefer it to the nra formula !!
    hmm acetone ...leads me wondering why ? usually heat will soften most lubes enough that they can be wiped off with a old or a paper towel , i use a flexible desk lamp and sit them in a tuna can with it just over it on my bench ( i do the same with my boolits to prewarm them for most lubing chores ) a q-tip sans tip ( or rather most of the tip ) cleans the holes out fairly well . heat can be a wonderful thing when lubing ( both for the lube and the boolits ) like most things in life moderation is the key , too much heat and your lube's a gooey mess ermm...well actually i suppose even more makes it liquid and that's assuredly too much , lyman's moly is usually fairly soft stuff from the get go
    try using a wrench instead of the ratcheting wrench ,apply enough pressure then back it off before raising the boolit , that seems to alleviate some of the "lube on base "syndrome ,downside is that you have to do it for every boolit and move it from time to time , i use a regular wrench and put tape over one side of the box end ( it keeps the wrench at the top of the stem ) or a craftsman type 1/4" ratchet with the flip lever for fast easy reversals
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

I gave up on it. Messy, dries out on unloaded boolits, expensive, and all the things already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I gave up on it. Messy, dries out on unloaded boolits, expensive, and all the things already mentioned.
    Exactly right!

Maybe you can thin it with a little Vaseline to help it flow and keep it from drying out.

So far i have had no problems with it. It flows well from my RCBS lubrasizer. Barrel and cylinder show no leading after shooting.

Boolit Master
    I found a way to reduce the grease sneaking between the boolit and the bottom punch, if the grease groove/band config allows it - with no pressure on the grease, use the top punch to push a smaller, longer boolit against the bottom punch til it bottoms out on the limiter. Look inside the die and make sure none of the ports are bisected by the top of the bottom punch. If they are, reset the limiter til the ports line up only where the grease grooves will be. This also gives better groove filling - you don't have to wait for the grease to squirt through if only a small area of port lines up with the groove.

You have your sizer adjusted wrong or it is verycold. Mine works good at 65 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Agreed.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. -- John Wayne

Boolit Master
    I must be the oddball because I really like it, except for the expense, of course. I just loaded some 30 cal boolets that were sized and loaded with it three years ago and they hadn't dried out, and they were stored in a plastic cottage cheese container with just a piece of paper on top to keep the dust out.

I have found it to be a very consistent performer in HV rifle applications.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd have to rank it as one of the poorer lubes that I've ever used.

I found some cast bullets that I'd lubed with Lyman moly lube about 6 or 7 yrs. ago, it had all dried out and fallen out of the grooves. A waste of money and time.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I'd have to rank it as one of the poorer lubes that I've ever used.

I found some cast bullets that I'd lubed with Lyman moly lube about 6 or 7 yrs. ago, it had all dried out and fallen out of the grooves. A waste of money and time.

I tried it years ago, even made my own molly lube for a while but never again. Like to never have gotten the molly out of the barrels. Molly was a fad several years back even on jacketed bullets. Took quite some time for some of the molly converts to realize the intermittent accuracy (at 200m+) possibly caused by varying amounts in the steel of the bore, dunno but molly will not go in any of my bores ever again.

If your happy with it you should by all means use it but thankfully I got that fad out of my system and my bores.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually moly was a fad, Molly was a great contributor here.

I don't think moly has any benefit in cast bullet lubes. I don't even like it on jacketed bullets. Why add another variable?