Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: IR Themometer

Boolit Buddy

IR Themometer

I was wondering if anyone uses those IR thermometers for keeping track of the temps in the pot?

Banned

The search engine is your friend.

Yes, people have tried it, the general consensus is it doesn't work well.

A sticky of the relevant threads/post would be a good thing on this subject.

Boolit Master

It does not work on shiny metals. PID to control the pot or immersion thermometer works.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

It works to find the temperature of your molds and other dark surfaces, but doesn't work on lead alloys. I've tried all kinds of things to get it to give me a good reading, but to no avail.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Use the search engines for questions. This had been discussed and cussed ad-nauseum.

It does NOT work.......at all!

If you want pot temp.......buy a standard lead thermometer. Use the IR unit to monitor your AC/furnace duct temps!

Temp is NOT that critical anyway. I have never used any kind of thermometer or fancy temp controllers and my booltis are perfect. It's all "in the feel". You can easily tell if temp is hot or cold by the response/look of the castings you are dropping.

Have fun casting!!!!!!!!!!

Bangerjim

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, I've never even used a thermometer before. All my casting has been for pistol bullets before and I'm ready to progress to rifle bullets and a little more precision.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a IR for reading my mold temp during preheating and it works ok for that.
    If you float a non reflective 1" x 1" x 1/8" piece of iron, in the pot, you can get approximate pot temperature.
    You can't beat a PID for control and monitoring.
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Boolit Grand Master

Here is the test I did: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ermometer-Test

Buy the thermometer that Rotometals sells. Knowing your alloy temp really helps but isn't necessary. You will be amazed at the temp swings in your pot in relation to thermostat setting and how full the pot is. If you don't want to worry about adjusting it constantly, buy or make a PID. They're not necessary but sure are convenient.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Buy the thermometer that Rotometals sells.
    Why buy the Rotometals thermometer for $38 without the clip ... http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/...FW9nOgodnEUAaQ
    When you can buy the same thermometer from the company that makes them for all the vendors with the clip for $21 ... http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/...FW9nOgodnEUAaQ
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

You posted the same link twice. And that's my fault for not checking Rotometals price. It wasn't that much more than what TelTrue was charging when I bought mine. I don't see what use the clip would be but it's not like it would hurt to have it.