RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to find 22lr at Wal-mart

How to find 22lr at Wal-mart

First, I searched and couldn't find any threads as an instructional of how to tell when/where 22lr is coming into local Wal-marts. I'm not saying there isn't, but just that I couldn't find any. Also, I don't work for Wal-mart, am not affiliated with Wal-mart, or even a supporter of Wal-Mart. What I will say is that even with all the other stuff that Wal-mart has done that I don't agree with at least they have kept 22lr prices similar to what they were pre-panic. Also, I do try to support my LGS and will buy from them at a slightly higher price before I will buy from a chain, they still can't get much (if any).

I'm like a lot of people and were trying to find 22lr for the past year (plus) so that my kids (7 & 10) can continue to enjoy shooting, but was having dismal luck until I tried hitting a Wal-mart on my way to work a little over a week ago. I arrived at around 6:30 and soon came to the realization that I was 9th in line. Since they said that the ammo came out at 7am and I didn't have to be to work until around 8am that I would just stay and see what came in. While waiting I just listened to the group of people in the front of the line and was amazed that somehow they seemed to know that Winchester 333 packs and CCI Mini Mags were going to be coming out. I thought how the heck could they know this and by just listening to them I discovered some of the "tricks" that they were using (and they were correct) and even though I was 9th I still picked up three CCI Mini Mags. I decided to use this week off from work (between Christmas and New Year's) to test out what I learned, learn more, and get some 22lr for my kids. What I learned below:

1) There are no garentees in life and searching for 22lr, so don't get bent out of shape if you show up and they don't have any, or they claim to have never received any. <=You can decide on your own what happened.

2) For the smartphone owner/users Wal-mart has an app and this is very useful, but in order to maximize your ability to find the right location you should also use their full version website. The only way I am able to find prices is through the app as the website doesn't list prices for my "home" store.

a) Set a Wal-mart as your "home" store.

b) Search for "22lr" - I use an Android OS but I think that the other systems have an app (except possibly Windows, but I could be wrong). Simply type in "22lr" in the search bar and you should see all of the types and sizes that are sold at that store. Once you click on one of the choices you will most likely see "Out of Stock". Then click on the "More Stores" button and it will use your phone's GPS to locate other stores near you. What you are looking for is any store that says "Quantities Unknown". Keep going through and checking all of the different 22lr packs that you are looking for.

c) Any store that after 6pm-8pm has a "Quantity Unknown" is likely (notice that I said likely and not definitely) to have it on a truck they just got and will stock it at their next "normal" stocking time.

d) Call the store you are thinking of going to and ask at least these three questions of the person covering the sporting goods.

i) Do you have any 22lr? You never know they might and you might want to go right down there.

ii) Is there a box limit on 22lr? Some stores near me only allow one (1) box of 22lr no matter the size, so it can be anywhere from a 50 round box to a 1,000 round box. Those stores allow a total of three (3) boxes, but only one (1) can be 22lr. Most stores that I have talked to allow three (3) boxes and some of the people in line this morning claimed that other stores have gotten into trouble for going against what they claim is corporate policy of three (3) boxes and limiting to one (1), but like I said that was just hearsay this morning.

iii) What time does the ammo put out? Most seem to be 7am here, but there is one locally that is 8am and I've heard of some putting it out as soon as it is offloaded from the truck 6-8pm.

e) Choose a store and set your alarm for early if you want some instead of being in the back of the line and only seeing it. In the past week I've gone earlier and earlier and have never done better than second in line and today I arrived at around 5am for a store that put it out at 7am. The guy and son in front of me said they were there at 4:30am.

3) Full website/PC version - This allows you to search a larger area than the nearest 2-4 stores (on the app), assuming that you live in/near a city that has more stores.

a) The process is almost the same except when you try to look up the availability of certain type it may read "Store information not available." Since I use Internet Explorer (IE) I use the process that is spelled out in the Youtube video that this guy did (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZRjbXKSLKI). <=Hopefully that works as a hyperlink but if it doesn't then copy and paste what is between the parentheses into your IE address bar.

4) One of the guys waiting this morning swore buy a site called www.ammo-can.net and claimed that it was based on the actual shipments. Since I just learned about this site I have not used it as of yet but thought it might be beneficial to pass on to others on this site.

I hope this helps others keep their kids shooting. I will also admit that I'm stockpiling 22lr for my family and will not apologize for that, nor do I care to hear any BS attacking me about it. This thread is in an attempt to help others in this forum locate the 22lr that are out there for a decent price and to hopefully push the ammo flippers out of the way of actual shooters.

Good luck.
    Dave

Since you are stockpiling, this is OK to. I know people in management....They call me and I go get it....Simple

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't need, or want, ammo that bad.

Love Life
    I just wait for the back orders to roll in. If I need it real bad I'll order it from CTD. All that searching, wandering/wondering, driving to pick it up, etc. is for the birds.

Of course I really don't shoot much 22lr. I prefer to shoot 308, 8X57, now .243, 38 special, 45 acp, and 10mm. No shortage for those and cheaper than 22lr.

A can of 325 22lr for $119.19...WOW! <=Makes you wonder why someone must be shooting gold down range.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-0520

In Remembrance
    Wait an hour or more in line, isn't for me. I would quit shooting if that was the only option. I hate waiting in the cashier line at all. lol

Love Life
    It's there if you NEED it. Not if you want it to hoard over and exclaim "My Precioussssss" while you rub your hands together and smile.

If I needed 22lr, and none was around, then $119 is what I would pay. Since I don't NEED the luxury item known as 22lr, I don't bother with it. I never felt the allure for it and shooting it once I mastered the other calibers and reloaded for them. Unless your a SB competitor of course. I just never saw the awesomeness of going to the range and willy nilly blasting off a value pack just because I could.

When I bought my daughter's cricket I paid through the nose for 22lr. I didn't mind one bit as now she has enough to learn and become proficient with.

Banned

"I just wait for the back orders to roll in."

Most everything I have ordered lately is on back-order. I just place the order and wait and then the "box" appears. I really don't mind waiting. As for the .22 LR, it is useful for pest control and for my daughter's gun. I still have a couple few thousand left over from pre-back-order days.

Boolit Grand Master

Didn't work for me. All .22LR is listed as "In store only" and when I click an individual item, where one normally sees the link to find it in other stores it says "Store information not available. Please visit your local store to see if this item is in stock."

Oh well. At least I didn't waste any gas to be disappointed.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I don't need, or want, ammo that bad.
    +100 on that! If I can't reload it, I don't shoot it!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I just order it from CMP and they deliver it to your door in all 50 states. Been doing it for about 6 years. Just plan ahead to make sure you have some during the long delivery times.

Boolit Buddy
    Dave thanks for the tip I'll give that a try.
    Roosters

Boolit Bub
    It would be nice to see some old school investigative journalists get into the ammo shortage b.s.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    Ben Franklin

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle45Auto View Post
    It would be nice to see some old school investigative journalists get into the ammo shortage b.s.
    It's not BS. Demand has outpaced supply.

Too much work. I don't care about it anymore. Life is too short.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    About every 2 weeks Walmart gets some 22lr in.
    We always split what's available due to the supply.

Boolit Bub
    i just bribed the lady at the counter where i am. she calls me when some comes in and hooks me up. then again, i am that kind of italian.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Too much work. I don't care about it anymore. Life is too short.
    Gospel.

Boolit Grand Master
    What he said.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I just wait for the back orders to roll in...
    That struck me as a good plan a long time ago. It's actually worked for me - sometimes - but the results have been mixed.
    I've had a backorder for CCI mini-mags at Mid South for many months - in fact come February it will be a year that I've waited.
    I suppose they'll come in eventually, and when they do I'll get them for a good price.
    Meanwhile, thank goodness I'm one of those hoarders that so many here love to hate or I'd have no .22s to shoot, and (worse) none for my boys.
    <
    Uncle R.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast