Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Planning an AR build, need info/ opinions

Boolit Buddy

Planning an AR build, need info/ opinions

Gents - After not messing with any "black rifles" for a good long time, I intend on building up a stripped AR receiver I have had on hand for several years. I realize that there are many part suppliers out there, but am soliciting opinions from the folks that have first hand experience with some of them. A friend has mentioned Palmetto State Armory and I have perused their site, but am interested in what else is out there that you have dealt with directly. The build direction I'm leaning right now is just a fixed stock range rifle, no extra handles, lights, lazers, rails or fancy colors, etc. It would be a jacketed shooter (gulp!) not set up to cast for lead 22s and don't really want to start either. I'm somewhat leaning towards the 223 cal (already load for it), but the 6.5mm cal interests me, not completely interested in 30 cal or pistol calibers. Can't decide on 16 or 20 in barrel or light or heavy profile, but want a flat top upper - for the ability to swap scope or sights - would be buying a complete upper assembly. In no rush to get it done, planning stages for a spring/summer project right now. For reference, I have a 20+ year old Colt HBAR that hasn't seen the light of day in a long time, so I'd like to build something a bit different, but ultimately it would be used for the same purpose. Thanks for the help, insight, opinions - Bill in MA

Boolit Man
    Www.joeboboutfitters.com. Great service and great pricing

Boolit Buddy
    I'm an armorer for an AR manufacturer down here in NC. Drop a line if you want to cuss & discuss or need some parts.

We don't make everything you have listed, but nearly everything we sell are made in-house.

Palmeto is very tough to beat on a good budget rifle build. If you watch they've had complete m4 carbine styled uppers for 280$- 300$ latley. You can check out Jse surplus too.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the leads, I was reading more last night about the Grendel round, while still interesting, it looks like it would take the cost of a "fun gun" to a new level, so I may stick with the 223. Don't plan to go on a complete budget build, but if I can wrap it up for under a grand total, I'd be happy.

Boolit Master
    I sure like a Kreiger barrel. 6000 rounds and still hammers.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Like you I had in mind a "cheap" build and then I was able to find a matched Spikes Tactical upper and lower for a good price (pre hysteria) Well now I'm in it as I did not want to throw a $100 pencil bargain barrel on that! Ended up with a Daniel Defense barrel (middy) and bolt!

The barrel is the rifle with the AR-15! I also like ,if possible, to get the barrel and bolt from the same maker! The good news with the 5.56 Nato rifles is that they are built to a Goverment M-16 mil spec! Unlike the AR -308!

This is just some ideas you might want to think about while gathering parts! Oh yea,my S/T- D/D rifle is a tack driver!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used primarily Palmetto State Armory and JoeBobOutfitters for most of my stuff but it is worth while to shop around especially if you have time or are patient. Aim Surplus seems to have the best prices on BCGs right now. Finding the barrel will likely be the item you spend most time on to get just what you want.

Boolit Bub
    just make sure all your parts are mil spec! you will be able to find replacement parts any where and the price of parts should be low. if you go with something that is not mil spec you better buy 2 of each part when ordering incase one ever breaks because joe shmos that made it might not be around for ever. i was an armorer in the army so i like the ability to take from one rifle to put in another. when i got out and got my rifle i made sure it was mil spec. also make sure you make it .223/5.56 compatable, military rifles eat both, some say there is a big enough difference between the .223 and 5.56 to make a difference and in some rifles that are made for .223 you cant fire 5.56. I'm not totaly convinced on this but i'm sure some one with a first hand experience with a related malfunction is convinced though. i had a Remington 700VS .223 (stamped .223) that shot both with no problems, i made sure my AR was compatable with both to avoid any problems. I recently started reloading for my Bushmaster and so far the only difference i can tell with this round is that .223 brass allways seams to be shorter compared to the 5.56 nato brass i have (8,000+cases) when i trim my brass the nato allways needs trimming and the .223 allways falls in to my "too short" pile. i only noticed after i had about 50 cases in my "no go" bucket and when i checked them out i noticed most were the rem .223 cases. they still get loaded and packed away in my bulk ammo stash and fire just fine but they are not what i want for my precision rounds. I'm down to .307" 3 shot group, now i'm playing around with seating depth to shrink that even more.