Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Boy don't like cast

Big Boy don't like cast

Got some 255 grain bevel base RF's that are accurate in the henry out to 20, but then must only be marginally stable cause at 50 it's more of a pattern than a group
    Tried 18 grs of 2400
    15 grs of HS7

Neither load is better or worse, their all Dog dung

Going to run some 300 XTP's out of her tomorrow, just to make sure it's not the gun however I've checked everything like 20 times

Boolit Buddy
    You don't mention bore/groove diameters and bullet diameter...

452 is bullet dia. Have not slugged gun. Then again I have tons of unslugged guns that still shoot cast.

I mean lets me honest. If meant to shoot factory cast I can't see why it would not like the same dia cast

Boolit Grand Master
    I find that many 250 gr or so bullets are fine to 50 and all over at 100 yards. I have a 300 gr bullet that works wonders at 100 I use instead.

Yeah I'm going to fiddle a hair more but if/when I can't get em to work I'll use em in the pistol and with just the peep for earth pigs, then put in the 300's come hunt time

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charger 1 View Post
    452 is bullet dia. Have not slugged gun. Then again I have tons of unslugged guns that still shoot cast.

I mean lets me honest. If meant to shoot factory cast I can't see why it would not like the same dia cast

That's a horrible point of view. Most commercial casters suck at their job. Fit is everything. There's a great many 45 colts that shoot better with larger than .452. My Ruger Blackhawk will only shoot straight on a diet of .454.

Boolit Buddy
    If meant to shoot factory cast I can't see why it would not like the same dia cast
    Ya lost me...

Fired from a Henry BB 44mag at 50 yards. 1 1/2" center to center. They Henry's are good cast shooters IF you feed them what they want. I understand yours is a 45 LC, but 250 is as heavy as I can go in my 44. The 1-38" twist doesn't like the heavyweights. Also, mine is picky about OAL. If it's much over the standard 1.610" length it doesn't want to cycle.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. -- John Wayne

And I realized the boo boo was/is all mine. I always think pressure when I think max powder, but apparently that's not the issue when talking 2400 and 45 LC. It's more a matter of efficiency. I lowered it to the book max of 16 grains. It's running a solid 1420 FPS and off hand will put a group inside the above group. In my 73 SAA the same load runs 880, and at pistol distance is very accurate. I think I got my combo load. Hope so, loaded up 200 of em

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    That's a horrible point of view. Most commercial casters suck at their job. Fit is everything. There's a great many 45 colts that shoot better with larger than .452. My Ruger Blackhawk will only shoot straight on a diet of .454.
    Of all my casting experience I've never seen the benefit in going over bore on fit unless it's under 375 cal and You're just not going to get enough obturation, but. Above 375 cal I am at most size for size. Remember there's lots of 457 lee stuff out there running swimmingly

Boolit Buddy
    I went from 452 to 454 and my accuracy went up wonderfully - might be an easy fix for you.

Boolit Grand Master

I always think pressure when I think max powder, but apparently that's not the issue when talking 2400 and 45 LC. It's more a matter of efficiency. I lowered it to the book max of 16 grains.
    Am I missing something? You LOWERED it to book MAX? By two grains? I didn't look the load up but you were shooting 2 gr over listed max load?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Am I missing something? You LOWERED it to book MAX? By two grains? I didn't look the load up but you were shooting 2 gr over listed max load?

Rick
    Ya So?

Shoots a house afire now. Well once I find the spring I'm missing. Wish someone had a better than manual descrip of trigger parts

Boolit Grand Master

Just out of curiosity charger, what area are you in?

BTW, good lookin dog.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

ontario canada

Boolit Grand Master

Ah, Canada. That's a good thing, I wanted to make sure that your not the one on the firing line next me.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Ah, Canada. That's a good thing, I wanted to make sure that your not the one on the firing line next me.

Rick
    Zing :laugh:
    Is it bad that I knew where you were going when you asked where he lived?

Rick
    Ah falicornia. The land where the highest pop of those who make a profession of living fake lives live. Good on You.
    BTW We don't have "Firing lines "here. Not that communized. Take care lefty

Boolit Grand Master

Firing lines are communist? I never would have thought being safe around firearms was a communist thing. I learn something new everyday. And you are completely wrong about Rick as well

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Firing lines are communist? I never would have thought being safe around firearms was a communist thing. I learn something new everyday. And you are completely wrong about Rick as well
    I DO NOT SUFFER FOOLS LIGHTLY

If it's just to say the gun will blow up say it. We don't have to do a big "Where do You live"? Then I take time to respond cause I think i'm getting a notification of something useful posted, but no, when I'm trying to put something together I'm not taken away for something worthwhile .I'm taken away for the punch line of the two part joke. Sorry, can't tolerate that fantasia **** that cornifornians barf out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast