Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Lubes for Cowboy Loads

Boolit Mold

Lubes for Cowboy Loads

Hello all,
    I am fairly new to casting and have a question about what lube would be best. I want to cast plain base bullets for a .44 special revolver and a .44 magnum rifle. If both are going to used at mild cowboy load velocities (probably Trailboss-type loads) what bullet lube would be best. I have the Lee Alox lube that came with my sizing die. Would that be sufficient or should I use a different type and pan lube? Also, what is the best way to use the liquid alox effectively without overlubing? Thanks for any and all help!

Boolit Grand Master
    LLA will work fine. Search this site for Felix lube or Bens Red for a couple others that would work well.

To avoid over application of LLA I would suggest a search for 45/45/10 lube. Essentially you heat Johnson's paste wax til just melted and hold it there for about 20 minutes. Then add an a equal amount of LLA. Once mixed well remove from heat and add about 10 percent mineral spirits. This mix works well and dries much faster the straight LLA. Add enough to barely give a color to the bullets when tumbled. I suggest adding about 1/2 the amount you think is enough. Tumble well then set out to dry. Size then recoat with another light coat. It should look like a light coat of varnish and not anything more.

Boolit Master
    You can lube them with LLA and won't a little smoke be good for the cowboy games?. If you don't have a Lubrisizer, I'd be inclined to use the LLA. Follow the directions on the Youtube film. Another alternative in Johnson's paste wax. A very clean alternative to LLA.
    Alox film:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG2MFQL8oLU

Johnson's Paste Wax Film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miKeCJ2X6zs

Welcome to Cast bullets! Best forum for cast bullet shooters ever..

Boolit Buddy
    I use the White Label version, and it does not take much. About the same amount of lube you would find on a 22LR works well, which is to say, a very thin coating.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the responses, guys. If I was going to use a stick lube, which commercial brand would you recommend? Thanks again.

Super Moderator

For a stick lube I like White Label BAC. When using Alox, I put a cup of water in the micro and heat it until it boils. I then set the bottle of LLA in to it for 5 minutes or so. This will heat it and make it more liquid. Just a few sprinkles is all that is needed for a couple hundred boolits.

Boolit Master
    What plain base boolit in 44 are you going to cast ? A TL or a lube groove type ? That might help you decide but either can be done with either.
    Try both methods above, see which you find more suitable for your load.

Mike

Boolit Master

All the above is good advice but for me....I've been using 50/50 for all low speed stuff (700-850 fps) for years and it hasn't let me down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 04hunter View Post
    Hello all,
    what is the best way to use the liquid alox effectively without overlubing? Thanks for any and all help!
    Preheat your Lee alox bottle in microwave about 20-30 seconds to thin Alox. Remove bottle and shake well (I put a lead bullet in bottle before heating to help when shaking after heating...bullet will not spark covered in Alox).

Put your bullets in plastic baggy then squirt in warm Alox. "Gently" roll bullets in baggy until all are covered. Then remove from baggy and set bullets on wax paper base first to dry or solidify.

After bullets are loaded you can remove excess Alox with rag and mineral spirits. Mineral spirits works best at removing the nasty sticky Alox from bullet's nose and case.
    Last edited by detox; 01-04-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any of the "soft" or liquid lubes are going to work so use whatever makes sense to you. If you shoot 400 rounds a week, you may go a different direction than if you shoot a couple of matches a month and do not practice.

It is more important that you size the bullets to fit your largest bore plus .002" more.

Don Verna

Boolit Master

I use my black powder lube for all my cowboy silhouette loads since we are not pushing velocities in that game. Super easy to make, and way cheaper than buying it pre-made.
    1 pound of beeswax, 1/2 pound of anhydrous lanolin and 1/2 pound of Canola oil - all by weight. (get the beeswax and Lanolin from Randy Rat).
    I use it in everything from my cast .22's up to my 45-70 with excellent results. Anything with a gas check that I'm pushing a little faster gets Carnuba Red or Bens Red once my White Label sticks run out...