Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AA7 powder mistaken for Rel 7 results in KaBoooooM

Boolit Master

AA7 powder mistaken for Rel 7 results in KaBoooooM

I believe most of the reloaders on this site are a "notch above" the average reloader due to the nature of dealing with cast boolits and their inherent issues. However, in the general interest of safety, I'd like to report on a post that is currently on the marlinowners.com forum. It is in the subforum The 444 Marlin, and it details the story of a fellow who interchanged AA7 powder with Alliant Reloder 7 data, and subsequently blew up his prized .444 Marlin. Luckily he was not injured, but his gun was destroyed. If I had the computer skills to link it here I would. Perhaps someone who does, will.

If you are new to reloading, I especially suggest you search out that post and the 93 subsequent "replies". If you're an old phart at the reloading game, like me, I still urge you to read it. Perhaps someone's life and/or limbs will be saved.--Shuz
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

That's tough to do. AA7 is a fine grain ball powder, RL-7 is a stick, and not a small one either.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    That's tough to do. AA7 is a fine grain ball powder, RL-7 is a stick, and not a small one either.
    OOPS! I'll bet he won't do that again! Glad no one was hurt.

Boolit Buddy

Will Fly For Boolits

Boolit Master
    Thanks Westwindmike!--Shuz
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy

Text at Marlin Owners says he bought the AA7 thinking it was RL7. Evidently had no familiarity with either powder.

David

Boolit Master
    The individual obviously lacks reading comprehension and attention to detail. The results were exactly as expected.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Grand Master

I saw that on the MO site. He is darn lucky.

I've got some accurate powder listed XMR4350 I inherited. Since I can't find a specific load data for "XMR4350" it will sit up there until I call Accurate themselves. The 4350 powders are NOT interchangeable

Boolit Grand Master

HS7, AA#7 and RX7, hope he does switch to surplus powders, WC860-WC680 aren't interchangable either. Lucky noone was killed
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I saw that on the MO site. He is darn lucky.

I've got some accurate powder listed XMR4350 I inherited. Since I can't find a specific load data for "XMR4350" it will sit up there until I call Accurate themselves. The 4350 powders are NOT interchangeable
    Accurate Arms has a free downloadable PDF format load data book on there website.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Accurate Arms has a free downloadable PDF format load data book on there website.
    I downloaded it previously. Still doesn't specifically say XMR-4350. Thank you for the references though. I've got others to chose from so it just sits and collects dust.

Boolit Master

I've seen it happen with AL-5 mistakenly purchased thinking it was IMR-4831 then used in loading 7mm Rem Mag ammo.

It was bulk powder.

The Rem 700 locked up after. The Savage 110 ended up in 26 pieces.

And, NO, it wasn't me, nor recently. Happened around 1969-1970.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some people shouldn't be reloading.....

Boolit Master
    Too many powders are named almost the same. I came back to reloading and casting after being off for about 40 years. I still see loading tables ( some of mine are 50 years old like my powder and primers) that list a powder that I am not 100% sure which powder it is today exactly. I do not use these loads at all. When you list a load, do not abbreviate! It can be deadly to someone who is not as careful as you.

Boolit Buddy

Back in the "old days" of navy nuclear power we had an expression that you can't make things foolproof since the fools were just too ingenious. Training, training and more training plus always having the book with the procedure open in front of you were the methods we used. Or RTFM seems to be lost upon some people. Plus the old adage of what happens when you "assume" that something is correct and don't check still means making an a$$ out of you and me. Some years ago on a shotgun forum somebody insisted that he needed real hot loads for his brand new AYA (I think that was the brand) upland light game shotgun. Smarter people kept trying to explain that that gun wasn't a goose gun and wasn't designed to take 1 3/8 oz loads at 1500 fps. So he went off and more or less hand loaded 3" - 3.5" magnum loads into some 2 3/4" shells and proceeded to crack his stock at the wrist. The crying and whining went on for weeks until he had the balls to ask AYA to restock the gun for free. So he got away with it, don't know if he learned his lesson or is still reloading super duper reloads.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Grand Master

Ramshot changed the name of one of their powders because of two sounding similar, BigBoy(now Magnum) and BigGame, sounds like they expected something like what happened here.
    Charter Member #148

In Remembrance

"WELL JEEZE GUYS, the can had a number "7" on it! I FIGGERED IT WAS THE SAME THING"???Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Robert you're supposed to color that statement PURPLE
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Yu pays yu money and yu takes yu chances if you can't read labels or load manuals.
    Glad no one was hurt.

Boolit Master
    Just a quick question.. What is RX-7..? I cannot find RX-anything. Also, I wish that Hodgon would not list a 'Clays', 'Universal Clays' aand an 'International Clays', it is just too confusing for my wife when she brings the powder home..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast