RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: How does Pietta and Cabela’s sell these high quality revolvers at such a low price?

Boolit Master

How does Pietta and Cabela’s sell these high quality revolvers at such a low price?

Today, from Cabela’s I received a Pietta 5.5 inch barreled 1858 Remington, cost was $229.95 and included a free (normal $69.99) Cabelas .44 caliber starter kit. I also have another 1858, but it is the 8” barreled target model with adjustable sights. Both of these revolvers are tight and lock up like a safe.

But what amazes me, is how does Pietta and Cabela’s manage to sell these high quality revolvers at such low prices. My 1858 target is more accurate than any other hand gun I have, or had, to include a Colt Python .357 and Colt Gold Cup .45 acp.

I also have a Kurtz .45 Colt cylinder which fits both revolvers like a custom glove and locks up tight as the OEM C&B interchangeable cylinders, of which I have four. I wanted the 5.5” barrel for carry and am looking forward to shooting it with both the C&B and Kurtz .45 Colt Cylinders.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know, but they are pretty nice for the price. The internals could use some better finishing, but they seem to function fine.

Boolit Master

I'd like to know why they are so accurate. S&W ought to look into it!

Boolit Master

Hangfire, That is a fine looking pistol!!! I got the 1851 open top with an extra cylinder for Christmas, wife paid $169 and got a coupon for $20 off that! Can't shoot it though cause I can't find any caps. Does the Kurtz cylinder fit the 1851?

Boolit Master
    I bought one just like it, just the pistol, a while ago for $179. I have an older one just like it that was given to me, but had the long barrel, I wanted a shorter one.

As for how, well its probably not really that hard to make one with modern machinery. Look at what they were made with 150 yrs ago. Now push a button on a screen and spit out a part every so often. Plus modern casting methods. Being a BP weapon you don't need the more expensive metals used in say a S&W or Ruger.

The conversion cylinders you never know if they will drop in or not. I had to fit a Howell to my older 1858, not much but a little. But would not drop in the much newer pistol, had to be fitted again. Works in both but a bit more cylinder gap than you might want in the older pistol. I hate to shell out the bucks for another one. I know they use 4130 in the conversion guns, but wonder if its really needed. Doubt there was much of that running around in 1860s when gunsmiths were converting cap and ball guns for cheap. I have a spare cylinder, a lathe, reamer. Doubt the pressure of standard loads would be an issue.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCelt View Post
    Hangfire, That is a fine looking pistol!!! I got the 1851 open top with an extra cylinder for Christmas, wife paid $169 and got a coupon for $20 off that! Can't shoot it though cause I can't find any caps. Does the Kurtz cylinder fit the 1851?
    Kirst (I misspelled in OP) does make one for the 1851, but remember, the 1851 uses a .375" ball or bullet. So a hollow base or heeled bullet will be necessary'

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/1851-61-colt-navy.html

https://www.google.com/#q=heeled+bul...rst+conversion

My buddy just ordered one of these. Do you have any magic loads to share ?
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master

Well, looks like I have to stick to cap and ball loads! My pistol is a brass framed 1851 Navy in 44 cal. A little disappointed that I can't shoot 45 colt loads as I have about 3K 45 Colt "cowboy" rounds in the shed!!!

Boolit Master

Buy a steel framed 1851!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Buy a steel framed 1851!
    Howdy Springfield! Thought about it some. Cabelas is selling steel frame 1858 models pretty reasonably so I think I'll get one of those. I don't have a problem with the brass frame open tops though, I just can't find any #10 caps!! Hope Ya'll had a Merry Christmas Springfield!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    My buddy just ordered one of these. Do you have any magic loads to share ?
    No magic loads, for the 1858 C&B, 24 grains 3f BP with fiber wad beneath RB and lube on top, although 18 grains of 3f is more accurate for me.

For the Kirst .45 Colt cylinder, 6 grains Trail Boss and 185 grain SWC.

IMO, the Pietta slow twist does not like heavy bullets like the 255 grainer, I will be trying 165 grain bullet in the future.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCelt View Post
    Howdy Springfield! Thought about it some. Cabelas is selling steel frame 1858 models pretty reasonably so I think I'll get one of those. I don't have a problem with the brass frame open tops though, I just can't find any #10 caps!! Hope Ya'll had a Merry Christmas Springfield!
    I am seeing a good supply of #10's in little shops around Levy county. What part of FL are you?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by relicshunter View Post
    I am seeing a good supply of #10's in little shops around Levy county. What part of FL are you?
    Panhandle outside Pensacola a ways.

Boolit Master

I bought two 8" Remingtons from Cabelas last year for $179, and have a shorty backordered for $176 with all the sales and coupons. Patience will save you money as they run these deals from time to time. I load them with 25-30gr of FFFg.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    Who makes the nicest/best 1858 repro?

Perma-Banned

I love the way the 1851's ones feel in your hand. They just fit me perfectly.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    Who makes the nicest/best 1858 repro?
    You will get as many answers are there are or were manufactures.

If you don't mind spending the premium bucks take a look at the Pietta Shooter's Model. I think they are available at Dixie Gun Works at the moment.

Boolit Master

I think there is a lot less taxes and paperwork expenses for the manufactures since they are not considered modern firearms. FB

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have a filli Pietta .44 Remington with the 8" barrel and a Kirst Kartridge Converter for. 45 ACP. I use the 200-grain H&G68 with 4.5 grs of Bullseye, which shoots to the sights at 770 fps and gives 2.5" groups at 25 yards. Great gun!