WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Breech Seal

Boolit Buddy

Breech Seal

looking for a breech seal for a Winchester 423. am told it is a Diana 23. mfg date on gun is 09 69. made in Germany.

the breech seal in this gun is leather and has a groove in it at the bottom that I believe is letting air escape when fired. would like to replace the seal and see if it will improve the power. not a stout gun to begin with so any loss is really obvious. if anyone knows where to get a new seal I would be interested. also is there a replacement that is an o ring? just a thought.
    guess I could make a punch and cut one from leather. last resort.
    m

Boolit Buddy
    Remove the seal and space it up a bit.

Digging it out is going to fluff up the leather anyway, a sturdy pointed object is going to be required to lift the seal out, some neatsfoot oil on the old seal, and a spacer under it, may solve your problem.

I found that punching out rings was a PITA. Got far better results punching a center hole far too small, and stacking up a bunch of 'blanks' on a mandrel on a lathe and cutting the OD down to size on a trial and error basis until I hit the size I needed. Getting the thickest, hardest leather I could find to start with helped a lot too.

Adjusted the thickness of the second last washer to be installed, by shaving off layers with a razor blade, so that I got a good seal on the last one.

Installing the leather into the breech was...educational!

Have fun!

Cheers
    Trev

Boolit Master
    Try Chambers in the U.K.. Most parts arrive here in the states, faster than the USPS from the opposite coast does. They accept most credit cards also. Good people. www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24369/23/

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I've read that there are conversion kits that you can retro-fit onto some of the older model air rifles that will allow them to use the new synthetic Piston-Seals. I found this out recently while researching what the newer synthetic Seals are made of.

Retro-fitting such an upgrade would solve the problem of replacing the older leather seals.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Copy and paste this into Google search:

Air guns - Pyramyd Air Report

Friday, December 07, 2007

How to make a leather piston seal
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    thanks,
    have the lathe can make the breech seal as described. Good info on the piston seal. can do that also if needed.
    m

Boolit Buddy
    I've read that there are conversion kits that you can retro-fit onto some of the older model air rifles that will allow them to use the new synthetic Piston-Seals. I found this out recently while researching what the newer synthetic Seals are made of.

HollowPoint
    would you share this info? many folks might like to know besides me.
    m

I'd just call Pyramyd Air and have them send me a new seal for $1 or 2. That way you know your getting the right part.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com