WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bullets keyholing Savage 99

Boolit Master

bullets keyholing Savage 99

Been an on and off again project, my brother inherited a Savage 99 in .250-3000. Been trying to develop a load for it, but we kept getting keyholes. Had worked up loads using 85 gr Nosler Ballistic tips and H4895,H335, and Varget powders loading at 2.500" C.O.L. Beginning loads all key holed and showed sign of primers backing out. So I pulled all loads and did some researching and reading. Started over today with some different bullets and stayed with H4895.

We had Nosler Ballistic tips in 85 and 100gr, Sierra 87gr spritzer, and 90gr HP, and 70 gr Hornady BT.

What we discovered was that the Ballistic tips would not shoot round holes for anything, but the others seated at 2.465" resulted in round holes. The C.O.L. was just determined when we switched to a different bullet and we went with it. Only my Hornady gave a Max. C.O.L. , so i went with it. Could not get the ballistic tips to shoot with the new C.O.L.

Going to try Win. 748 tomorrow and see what happens. Any thoughts on why the ballistic tips wouldn't shoot? And what to try?

Thanks
    DWD

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Being an older rifle of unknown care I would check bbl diameter and condition as well as what the throat looks like and length is.

Many of those older rifles were used at deer season then simply hung out to dry till next season.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

First thought - what does it do with factory ammo?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

In Remebrance

Yup, what's it do with factory? What's the muzzle look like? If some previous owner went at the bore with a bad rod or carelessly the muzzle could be worn badly. Often you can counter bore them and get them shooting if that's the case. A worn barrel will sometimes give you key holes too.

Boolit Master
    How old is this gun? Early guns were made for 87 grain bullets to get 3000fps. May stabilize 100 gr but supposedly not 115-120 gr. I have had two, both take down. First one has a constantly lengthening head space. 2nd one has been shot less and works like it is supposed to. both guns stabilized winchester 100 gr factory ammo.

Boolit Master
    we had shot a box of Remington soft points over the summer without issues, i checked those primers and should some flattening, almost similar to ours but not backed out. Not sure of its age, will check the muzzle tomorrow. Cleaned it as best as possible. I would say it shows its age, but not been beaten up. We know it sat in a closet and attic for the last 20+yrs. This came from a lot of rifles we acquired from a third cousin.
    Thanks
    DWD

Mine will not shoot anything lighter than a 100 grain sierra boolit up to a 117 grain using 40/64 powder & regular primers.anything lighter will keyhole every time. My 250 donaldson ace will only shoot 87 grain sierra spritzer for the same reason.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Duckkiller nailed it. Try a flatbase in the 85-95 soft point spritzer style. Sometimes the boattails are just a bit long to stabilize but the flat bases will be fine. It's a twist thing.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Grand Master

Slow rifling twist, so keep boolits towards the light end of the range. Try a modest charge of
    Unique, say 8-9 gr as a start and work up a bit. What diameter? Diameter is critical, too small
    will cause leading and tumbling, too large is never a problem unless the round will not chamber.

If you get light loads working, you can push up to 1800 fps range with Unique, or 2400,
    both likely to produce excellent accy but moderate velocities. As you try to obtain closer to
    full velocity, you get a more difficult process to keep your accuracy. Not impossible, but it
    takes work and study.

The 1400-1600 range should be easy with proper fit, good design, & good lube (NRA 50-50 is a good
    starting point).

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Older 250 savage guns had 14 twist. 87 grain condoms were max length then, and will be now in that twist. The 10 twist guns came out much later. I doubt the model 99 ever had a 12 twist in 25 caliber which would have done 100 grainers good. 120 grainers need 10 twist. Keep in mind that lead boolits require LESS twist than those with a lighter jacket, so sometimes we can cheat with boolits and get away with it. Anyway, twist trumps forward velocity many times over, so providing a little more velocity would be marginal at best. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 12-26-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    felix

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Every "keyhole" problem I have faced was traced to undersized boolits. More than half due to very fat throats.
    The 1892 44 WCF I had with me Monday for a drive up the mountain must be fed .433+ for the fat throat in a .429 bore or it throws wonderful patterns at 25 yards.
    A chamber cast is the best way to begin work with any new to you firearm. Took me years to realise it.. but it is the best invested one hour process in the happy shooting process.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    Check the twist of the barrel. I have read somewhere in the last year or so that some of the Savage Model 99's had twists that varied from the supposed standard, both fast and slow.

If your brother's rifle is slower than the standard of 1:14", that coupled with a very long for its weight 85 grain Ballistic Tip could well be the cause.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    A serial # will tell us when it was made.

Some of the older ones had some ??? twists, apparently depending on what day it was made etc.

The more we know the more help we can be.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    My model 99 in 250-3000 showed the exact same aversion to the Ballistic Tips, that yours is showing. They went through the target sideways to some degree - every shot.
    I'm pretty sure the problem was caused by the length of the Ballistic Tips in that 1 in 14 twist barrel...
    I was able to solve the issue on my rifle, by going to Speer 100gr flat base soft points. Found a load using H4895 that would hold MOA out to 300 yards. Plenty good enough to take a nice antelope at a little over 300 yards, season before last!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Banned

all the savage 250s were 1 in 14. At least till they came out with there latest 250 in a bolt gun. Im sure the reason there not stabilizing the bts is that a bt due to its tipped design is a bit longer then a conventional bullet of the same weight. Id try conventional speer, sierra or hornady bullets 85-87. Ive got a winchester model 70 light weight carbine in 250 that my son has killed a number of deer with using 87 grain sierras at about 2900 fps and its done just fine for him.

Boolit Master
    All good advice. Definitely a twist issue. Savage went from a 1-14" twist to a 1-10" twist around 1970 (give or take) when they re-introduced the .250 to their lineup via the 99A carbine. In the older ones stick with 87 grain flat based jacketed bullets, or 100 grains if you can find some round nose or semi-spitzers the same length as the 87 grain FB spitzers. The magic number here is .850" in length (arrived at after some joint experimentation involving several rifles).

Speaking in terms of rates of twist, it's all about length, not weight, of bullets and whether or not they'll stabilize.

Savage utilized sine bar rifling equipment back in the day, which was dependent upon operator skill and attention. Slight variations in rate of twist are not uncommon because of that.

I have a file trim die I made for reducing the length of offending .25 caliber 100 grain bullets, down to a length of .850". It worked quite well in making too long Nosler Partitions short enough to give decent accuracy in a 1-14" twist .250-3000, after they initially showed signs of gross destabilization. Weight reduction in the process is negligible. If anybody wants it, I'll sell it cheap as I don't mess with it anymore. If I ever feel the need to, I can always make another one. PM me if interested.

Boolit Master
    gnoahh, pm inbound to learn more about this tool.

Crown looks better than other features on this one.
    s/n 344,XXX
    I worked up loads in both Sierra 85gr spitzer and 90gr bt/hp with H4895 31, 32, and 33grains.
    The 85gr gave best groups under 3" at 70yds using iron sights. I know this may not seem like great groups, but need more practice and no keyholes.
    The 90gr HP's were bigger groups but would take a coyote at 100yds we felt. and no keyholes!!

So bt's are a no go. To bad since we have 2 boxes of them

DWD

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 1949 vintage Savage 99 in 250 Savage. It shoots 100 gr Speer and Sierra FB like a house afire, and both bullets work great on whitetail deer. At least until it gets about 4-5 rounds through it and the barrel heats up a little. Than it starts stringing. I have not checked the twist but I suspect it is 1:10. I have heard that post-war 99s were 1:10 while pre-war were 1:14. I don't know this for a fact.

Boolit Master
    I had a Mod. 99 250-3000 from the 1930's and it shot 87's and 100's superbly but could barely keep a 115-120 on the backstop let alone on the paper. 87's shot the best so deer hunted with those. The largest bodied black-tail I have ever seen (the halves totaled 200# hanging at the butcher shop) fell to one of those 87's taking nary a step. Love that caliber so when I sold the 99, I bought a T/C Encore in that caliber and it not only shoots the 120's well but loves cast boolits.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    My model 99 in 250-3000 showed the exact same aversion to the Ballistic Tips, that yours is showing. They went through the target sideways to some degree - every shot.
    I'm pretty sure the problem was caused by the length of the Ballistic Tips in that 1 in 14 twist barrel...
    I was able to solve the issue on my rifle, by going to Speer 100gr flat base soft points. Found a load using H4895 that would hold MOA out to 300 yards. Plenty good enough to take a nice antelope at a little over 300 yards, season before last!

Don
    This pretty much nails it. A 14 twist 250 Sav. won't generally shoot ballistic tips period! They're too long and don't stabilize. My 14 twist 99 will do well with either Remington factory 100's or Winchester Silver Tip 100's. As an aside, the Silver Tips are slightly shorter than the Remington PSP's. A good 87 grain bullet for deer is the Speer 87 grain Hot Core. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast