RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Ice Storm!

In Remebrance

Another Ice Storm!

Wah! Just getting unfroze from another 3-4 days with no power. Never got my Christmas shopping done, daughters house still froze up, can't move in the fields to get hay. Fun, fun, fun. A late Christmas greeting to you all.

Been there, done that. Make the best of it, happy New Year.

Sorry to here of this happening to anybody especially during the holidays, We have always used our 5000 watt generator It will run the propane boiler furnace and I would rotate a extension cord from the fridge to the freezer we would cook on Colman camp stove and use lanterns in some places. I have a port potty and bottled water.

Boolit Master
    Yessir, spent part of Christmas day here clearing downed limbs and rebuilding fence. No power outage but some neighbors did. Had to chainsaw my way into my sister's place Sunday past.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Well.......here in AZ, I was out back and picked oranges and tangerines for breakfast. I have 2 tangerine, a tangelo, 4 orange, and a grapefruit......all just loaded this year! Temps in the low 40's at night and high 60's daytime. Shoveling sunshine is a bear.

I feel for you folks back in that mess. Was in MI for 14 years and had ice power outages many times up to 6 days long! Had a 400 foot driveway to the highway and had to plow at least twice a day many days.

Yes it is hot in the summer, but ice & snow are much worse. And 112F does not break trees and power lines and create slick roads.

Good luck with the weather. Hope everybody is safe and (eventually) warm.

banger

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Wah! Just getting unfroze from another 3-4 days with no power. Never got my Christmas shopping done, daughters house still froze up, can't move in the fields to get hay. Fun, fun, fun. A late Christmas greeting to you all.
    Hang tough Bret! Keep us posted.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Time to have a transfer switch and a 7,500 watt generator with battery start installed and ready to go.
    East Tennessee

In Remembrance

Lost my power Sat. night at 10 pm. Still no edison restored power! Got a whole house generator sucking out my propane pig tank by running this long. Maybe Midnight on the 28th they tell me now. Area looks like a war zone after a bombing raid with all the busted trees. What`s that famous line????? "I`m tooooo OLD for this s**t!Robert

Have to have a generator!!!!!!!

Banned
    Yep, you fellers up north are sure feeling that "global warming is settled science" BS.

Haven't you noticed, when we have extreme cold it goes from global warming to climate change BS.

Boolit Master

I was going to suggest that you get Al(the Internet inventor)Gore to change the weather that he believes in,Feel for you guys we had a ice storm here in the far south during the middle 90's we were out of electricity for eight days and ran on generator and wood heat.The wife was able to do a little cooking on the stove top using one or two small burners.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Quote Originally Posted by Randy C View Post
    Sorry to here of this happening to anybody especially during the holidays, We have always used our 5000 watt generator It will run the propane boiler furnace and I would rotate a extension cord from the fridge to the freezer we would cook on Colman camp stove and use lanterns in some places. I have a port potty and bottled water.
    You must be from the warm part of ND. It got so cold here in the Bad Lands that the out house froze up and we had to use the indoor facilities.

In Remebrance

Oh, I had the gen going. Little 3500 watt Honda ran 20 hours straight before I could get the big 25Kw PTO unit out of the shed. We did 15 days without power in the 98 Ice Storm in sub zero F temps. A little 7500 watt unit isn't big enough for the house and the barn. I had to shunt between the house and barn with the Honda, turning all the non-essential stuff off. It just took a lot of work to get the big unit out- a mistake I plan to rectify.

Hardcast- I feel for ya. I was really surprised our mainline came on as fast as it did. Thoughts and prayers headed your way!

Couple things I learned this go 'round-

Coleman stoves and lanterns are great, but a Dietz No 8 Air Pilot Lantern is a lot less trouble to use and is far better than most Walmart type oil lamps. I plan on getting 4-5 more and replacing a couple of the non-air blast types I used this time around.

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=DL

Putting things off is a real bad habit of mine. I just rush from crisis to crisis here. I have GOT to get some things better organized. I'm too old to be doing those 16 hour work days anymore. Got to start working smarter!
    Last edited by Bret4207; 12-26-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Hang in there Bret. I am surprised that the wick type lanterns are working
    well. In my experience, the Coleman 200 puts out about 10 times the light,
    but does need to be refilled every 4-6 hours. Never saw any kerosene
    other than the mantle type from Aladdin that put out much useful light. The
    Aladdin wick-mantle types are great, but getting the wick trimmed and set perfectly
    is tricky, and if off, it carbons up the mantle to black coal. The lack of the
    loud hiss of the Coleman lanterns is wonderful when they are running right.

http://www.aladdin-us.com/site/16278...ristmas%20Lamp

Coleman doesn't make good lanterns anymore, but they are available on eBay
    for reasonable prices. The Model 200A (Red) is great, and the dual mantle
    220 is a little brighter, but certainly not double. Mod 220s are often far cheaper
    than Mod 200A.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-COLE...item54027ae830

The absolute best ones are the rare Model 202 Pro, same as the Mod 200 but
    nickel plated tank and green top, has all stainless parts and ceramic mounts for
    the mantles. These were made for serious backwoods year round living
    where the brass and steel parts for the camping lanterns wouldn't stand
    up to the long term heat and corrosion. Very hard to find and usually
    expensive. Nickel plate tanks don't corrode like the steel ones. I'd bet
    that the 202 Professional models are fairly common in backwoods Canada
    and Alaska.

Hondas of any form are wonderful machines.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 12-26-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

You are not alone bret, a lot of us have a tendency to put things on the back burner. I am tryin to get better as well. Hope things are better.

Moderator Emeritus

Heres hoping that the ice storm abates.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Glad to hear that you and the farm are getting back to normal Bret.

Those Deitz Lanterns are very good and dependable. From our time in the North Country, we still have 6 oil table lamps, 2 oil lanterns and 2 gallons of oil in the garage in case of power outages. Its amazing how much heat can come from just the lamps alone when they are all lit up in a few rooms in the evenings. I also second the use of a wood stove. When the power is out, that nice elcetric furnace I have in the house won't work no matter how much I look at it and turn the switch. A match, some kindling and a good stack of firewood in the back shed will help offset things until "civilization" returns after an ice storm...
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

In Remebrance

The Dietz are fine for area lighting, far better IMO than typical oil lamps. My mom had an Aladdin at one time, don't know what became of it. Aladdins are incredibly expensive to buy and maintain from what I've seen. "Investment" is the word that comes to mind.

The Colemans are great, don't get me wrong. I have one with the spark igniter that's a peach. Have a couple more that need rebuilding. The best of the lot in our area used to be the kerosene model, the one you had to pre-heat. Those seemed to put out a lot more light, but maybe that's my memory playing tricks.

Going to be interesting at the next Town Board meeting. One of the members is a former NYC Democrat guy that's got it in his head our little township of 880 souls needs a Town owned "Emergency Shelter". He's already picked out the old Grange hall as the site. The fact we have no money, that the Grange hall isn't for sale and that no one else has any interest in it whatsoever doesn't seem to phase him at all. Can't wait to see what he comes up with now!

Boolit Master
    The old Coleman double mantel lamps (not lanterns) can be run on "white gas" (Coleman fuel) BUT you have to be VERY careful when lighting them!! With the Kerosene you pre-heated the generator using the little cup that slid down over the generator body, filled with alcohol. Once the alcohol was mostly burned up you just turned on the Kerosene and the lamp would come on as brite as can be. With the Coleman fuel you turn on the fuel and quickly turn it off while holding a lit match close to the generator body. The gas will ignite and flare up. Let it burn almost out and give it another shot of fuel (on-off). When the generator is hot enough the mantels will come on and you are safe to turn the fuel control knob to full-on. The first time(s) you try this you may want to do it outside because you will likely get a 6 foot flame off the top of the lamp! I know I did and it is a bit scary, especially since the lamp was sitting on the kitchen table at the time. Once you master the trick of getting them going all is well. I started doing this in 1965 and have done it this way ever since.
    R.D.M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast