RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freakshow10mm's new project: 375 H&H Magnum Pistol

I don't think I can ever top 'Slick.

Boolit Buddy
    Trust me when I say, a .375 on an Encore frame tops anything I got the cohones to do on a regular basis.

A man has got to wonder what kind of scope holds up to those hand cannons long term.

I've smashed more glass than a drunk sailor with the 500 Mag and a few mid range loads.
    ________
    Lesbians Kissing
    Last edited by BigSlick; 05-03-2011 at 09:58 AM.

What did you settle on for the Big Smith? Been looking at glass. For rifle I like Burris and Nikon. Had a bad experience with Leupold; nervous about them. Fixed 2x or 4x would be super.

Bushnell 4200 series riflescopes are supposed to take thousands of rounds of the Holland.

Looks like 45nut has Leupies on his boomers.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Fixed 2 & 4x Leupolds are the only glass I trust on those two. 4x Leupold on my 454's also.
    I do have a 2-7 TC scope on my 460S&W Encore though.

Another OTT bbl, 1/2 Oct-1/2 round with an internal brake fitted with some walnut.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    What did you settle on for the Big Smith? Been looking at glass. For rifle I like Burris and Nikon. Had a bad experience with Leupold; nervous about them. Fixed 2x or 4x would be super.

Bushnell 4200 series riflescopes are supposed to take thousands of rounds of the Holland.

Looks like 45nut has Leupies on his boomers.

I ended up with a Trijicon Reflex II for a dot and a Leupold 2.5x8 VX-III for a conventional.

The Reflex II is very nice for hunting, allowing for quick acquisition and I just like the dot. The Leupold is fantastic, but even with EER, my long monkey arms it can be a chore getting a good picture. From bags it is outstanding as far as the view goes, but for off hand/field use, it is heavier than I would like.

Not to second guess your scope options here, but I wouldn't use another Nikon scope if someone paid me. In my opinion, their customer service couldn't be worse. I bought a Nikon dot ($275) for the 500. I called before I laid out the cash to make sure it would hold up to the recoil. Their customer service sent me an e-mail confirming the recoil wouldn't be a problem.

I ponied up the cash and headed to the range to get it sighted in for the 400 JSP Sierra (before I was casting) and second shot inside the tube went out of alignment. The dot was at the roof of the tube, and wouldn't move. I called Nikon, they suggested I stick it up my ****. I reminded them of the fact that I called ahead of time to inquire, and that I even had an e-mail from customer service indicating it wouldn't present a problem.

They were mildly suprised. Then offered to fix the scope if I paid shipping both ways and a $200 service charge, expected turn around time 12-14 weeks.

I trashed a Millett dot too, but at least Millett said they weren't sure if it would hold up or not. When I called about repair, they told me damage from recoil wasn't covered. They did offer me a replacement scope for $59, but it was only a $70 dot to begin with and I really didn't think it would hold up to begin with, so I blew that off.

The Trijicon folks told me hands down absolutely no problem with the recoil and the Reflex II. First cylinder the sun shade launched to the unknown (never found it), but the scope itself does hold up, and provides an excellent view, albeit a little too bright at times.

The Leupold holds up great. I just wish it offered a more heads up view and was about 100 lbs lighter and two feet shorter.

I have damaged Leupold scopes in the past, and every time bar none, they have bent over backwards to make me happy. Last one I smashed, a case of .308 blastin ammo shifted when leaving the range and fell over on top on a soft case, smashing the scope all to hell.

They sent me a replacement scope, got it in three days, with a prepaid shipping label for the return of the damaged scope.

I called and told them the damage was entirely my fault, and not even close to a scope defect of any sort. They wouldn't take payment - period. I called the head sales/customer service guy and explained I really appreciated their efforts, but it was only right I pay for the replacement. He said no way, won't hear of it, don't even try.

I sent the busted scope back, along with a check to cover the new scope and they returned the check.

Then called a couple of weeks (very nice female voice ) later to make sure I was 100% happy with my customer service experience.

Here's their warranty statement :
    -----------------------------------------
    Leupold and Stevens, Inc. is an American, family-owned, fifth-generation company that has been designing, machining, and assembling precision optical instruments for 100 years. Leupold?s? success has been built on our commitment to your absolute satisfaction, and our commitment to building the best optics for the shooting sports and for the law enforcement / military community. It?s for these reasons that we offer the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee.

If any Leupold Golden Ring? product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will, at our option, repair or replace it. FREE. Even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required. No time limit applies.

Certain special purpose products are covered by specific warranties in regard to their own individual features.
    ----------------------------------------

I'll buy one of their scopes in a heartbeat if it fits my needs. If they make a dot scope, I'm not aware of it. If they ever do, I'll buy one immediately.

I've paid a hell of a lot for good glass over the years, and the only mfr that consistently delivers the performance that the higher end Leupolds have (in my experience) is the NightForce NXS series, at about ~ $1200.

I personally would have purchased the 2X instead of the 2.5x8, but it was a gift and I wouldn't think of being rude enough to get rid of it. Especially when I fondle my 500 almost daily just to stay sane and the person I received it from sees it all the time.

I keep hearing good things about Burris (new) scopes. I've had mixed results with them in the past, but everyone I've spoke with since they were bought out last time says they love em.

One thing is for certain, just as soon as you get a scope/gun combo that works, stick with it until hell freezes over solid.

It can be a real PITA to get a good combo.
    ________
    Avandia injury lawyer
    Last edited by BigSlick; 05-03-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Maybe I'll have to give Leupold another shot.

The guns I've had Burris and Nikon on have been light kicking rifles-a 7mm-08 and a 338-06 & .376 Steyr switch barrel mauser I made.

Leupold used to make the Glimore RDS but those are long gone. They make that tactical red dot for ARs and there is a new RDS I see in the gun rags that doesn't use batteries.

Boolit Master

Leupold has been my choice for years
    Last fall I droped a pair of 10+ year old Leupold binoculars off a ledge
    On impact 100' + below they were in several pieces and not 1 unbroken lens

On a whim I called Leupold
    They sent me a prepaid shipping label
    I sent them the remains and less that 2 weeks later I got a new pair of Gold ring binoculars
    And a note saying the old pair was not able to be fixed and they no longer made the model I had
    So they sent a comperable model , that retailed at over $600
    All for no cost

And I had bought the binoculars used for $50 at the gun show a few years earlyer

That is why I buy Leupold when ever I can

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Picked up the frame on Saturday and got the barrel a few minutes ago. Going to send the barrel out today and get it chopped, faced and threaded.

Will have to get a rifle forend as the pistol one is too short. The holes don't line up.

I would suggest getting that barrel D&T'ed for the pistol forend, the extra weight of the rifle forend has been problematic for some with the "boomers". The plastic pillars crack and break and you also run the risk of stripping the threads from the barrel.
    Since you are already sending it out for work you may as well send the pistol forend along.

My .05
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

castboolits@gmail.com

Sounds good.

How long are your barrles on the 50AK and 458 Win Mag?

I'm going to get it threaded for a Vais muzzle brake. The brake is 2" long but I don't know how much of the brake slips over the barrel. I'm looking for a 14.5" barrel length with brake when all is said and done. I'm tempted to cut it down with my air tool myself and try to face it so I can shoot it but I don't have experience doing anything like this so I'm letting someone else do it that did it before and has a lathe.

16"s

I only have one rifle length Encore bbl, a 30-40.

castboolits@gmail.com

Banned

you probably have rightfull claim to that!! Dont let the girls talk you out of it, it sounds like fun to me! but then ive allways been a a few cents short of a dollar
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Pretty sure I'll be the only one in the UP with a 375 H&H handgun.

Boolit Buddy

Talking must be the water in the kee'we'nau

hang on and don't limp wrist it[all ready got one reload called HEAD BANGER] LOL

Boolit Master

Great Videos!!!!!

Boolit Master
    dude, you got serious thrill issues.

before I noticed you we're getting a brake I would have said lets do it here in the campus shop. I wouldn't thread there though, the machines are pretty well beat.
    Last edited by redneckdan; 12-04-2007 at 10:05 AM. Reason: incomplete info
    Some where between here and there.....

Dan, you know you're just dying to shoot it!

Maybe we can do another barrel there. I got another idea.

I got an air cutoff tool I wanted to try out. He's sending the scrap piece of barrel back to me so I can whack at it and practice cutting and facing on it.

The guy that's doing it is doing it for free. I'm shipping the barrel out today and having the muzzle brake sent directly to him via Brownells.

Boolit Master
    I'll probably try it, but I definitely won't be the first one to try it. Think we can shoot it down at the MTU range? Might have to set up 2 or 3 buckets of range scrap to shoot through and slow it down some before it hits the trap.

Lyman's cast data shows a 264gr FNGC at 1850fps and a 335gr RN at 1700fps froma 24" barrel. Taking 50fps for each inch I'll be about a 15" effective barrel so take 500fps off of that maybe.

Looks like the 264gr will be @ 1400fps for 1149fpe and the 335gr will be @ 1250fps for 1163fpe. So I'll be under the threshold with cast.

Jacketed 270gr runs 2700fps from a 24" with 300gr running at 2450fps. Corrected will be 2250fps for a 270gr at 3036fpe and the 300gr will be 2000fps for 2665fpe. I'd have to download the jacketed but think the cast will be alright. I'm going to load cast first and then use the cast data with jacketed.

I have to play with Quickload and Load from a disk. I'll be using non traditional .375 powders for the jacketed, like IMR4198, Unique, Blue Dot, possibly Varget.

I'd like to shoot over the chrony just to check. I think we should err on the side of caution and get something like you said setup. I'd hate to wreck the trap.

I'll pick up some wooden dowels. People said they use those for the screen holders instead of the metal rods. Cheap to replace.

Boolit Master
    do you have a copy of quickload? I'd like to see how that works, never seen it before but I hear it works.

Yup. I got Load from a disk and Quickload. QL difinately has a learning curve to it. Haven't read the ReadMe file yet. Disappointed in the lack of bullets in the database. There are only three or four .375 bullets listed. 6mmbr.com had a writeup/review on QL and said how to create a bullet database. I'll have to read that over and try it.

Some stuff is way off. I tried to input the data for the .380 Auto and it gave a velocity of 400fps from a 3.5" barrel. No clue. Haven't had much time to play with it.