Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: M1917 Sporter Question

M1917 Sporter Question

I have A 1917 that was sporterized by a gunsmith in NM maybe in the 50's or 60's. Excellent work. Paid $250 for it at the LFD and it is a shooter. I think it might be a JA barrel as it appears to be 2 groove but brother thinks it may be a 2 groove gain twist barrel. Any thoughts on gain twist? Good, bad, indifferent?

Rear sight ears have been removed. I have a Lyman 48s with 125 marks and target knobs and a steel Lyman 57SME NIB and would like to mount one of them. The front sight is a barrel band type.

This thing is/was definitely a quality build.

Shot it one time and at 50 yds it shot the following:

311041 plain base w/16 gr 2400=8 shot group .4 hi x 6 w.

NM load of 168 SMK w/47 gr 4064= 8 shot group .6 hi x .2 w.

seabreeze
    What is important in life? Things....or Honor/ integrity/Service and Humility?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    So far as I know the 2-groove M1917 Enfield cal. .30 barrels were all WW2 replacements in the common ten-inch constant twist. Many were made by High Standard, but there were other makes as well. A well executed Enfield sporter is an economical shooter, strong, accurate and serviceable. Enjoy your rifle.

Boolit Master
    I believe Johnson Automatic, 1-10 twist standard two groove. Weapon should also be Parkerized from WWII rebuild program. 311299/314299 and away you go. Gtek

Forgot to mention the barrel is blued and is a lighter weight than the military barrels I am familiar with. Guess I need to run a patch through and check to see if a gain twist.

Thanks

seabreeze
    What is important in life? Things....or Honor/ integrity/Service and Humility?

Boolit Master
    If the J-A is right at or near muzzle, barrel has been cut back to about 24". Re-blue done when sporterized and ears cut and probably top of rear bridge machined for mounts of usually three choices. I doubt you will find gain twist in a mil-spec barrel. Gtek