MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Turk, 8 X 57 mm

Boolit Grand Master

Turk, 8 X 57 mm

Years ago, my friend and I both purchased Turkish, 8 X 57 mm long rifles in a gun shop that had a large number of them.

We were able to pick through 30 - 40 rifles and pick the very best pair of rifles. The bores in the two rifles that we picked that day looked to be 99% +.

My friend has a pace maker and his Dr. doesn't like him shooting rifles that have recoil like the 8 X 57 mm.

So, ..........I bought his rifle a few days ago and now I have two of them.

I've shot this one that you see in the photos below already....." IT IS A SHOOTER ! "

By the way, guess what we paid for the rifles ?

$60 each.

Here is a couple of pics of my Turk 8 X 57 mm rifle that I bought that day , many yrs ago. It is a great shooter also. Very clean and very nice bore also :

Last edited by Ben; 12-24-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

What Williams peep is that and what front sight is that? I also have two Turk 38s, and one is a shooter and the other one is still in cosmoline waiting on me to decide what to do with it. No, it isn't for sale.

Boolit Grand Master
    Jr.

I'm fairly certain this is the sight:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/127...aluminum-black

The front sight is a TALL 98 Mauser sight that I found in my Mauser spare front sight box. The rifle zeros fine with plenty of elevation and windage.

Jr., considering that I have a pair of these Turks now, I have the same feelings as you, mine aren't for sale either ! My two are fine rifles that can deliver guilt edge accuracy with the proper cast loads.

Last edited by Ben; 12-23-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks Ben. I keep saying I'm gonna clean the cosmoline off my spare 38 and install the bayonet and hang it on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master
    They are fine rifles.

Mine has super tight H/Space.

You better have your shell holder bearing hard on the underside of the RCBS , F/L 8 X 57 mm sizing die, else you won't get the bolt to close on an empty case.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    They are fine rifles.

Mine has super tight H/Space.

You better have your shell holder bearing hard on the underside of the RCBS , F/L 8 X 57 mm sizing die, else you won't get the bolt to close on an empty case.

Ben
    Gotcha. The one I shoot has several hundred rounds through it. Here's the 1st of my two articles about it:
    http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/m38.htm

Here's #2:
    http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/m38-2.htm

Boolit Master
    Not long ago I bought some rifles from a local guy and one was a 1945 K. Kale with the long receiver (mfg. in Turkey). It shoots great, the bore is excellent and metal is primo with no pits or rust, but the wood was beat up and full of dry rot, IOW, atrocious. Other day bought a Turkish milsurp new and unissued oversized M38 stock with lots of metal parts for 50 bucks shipped. So will be working on bringing the stock down to size and finishing it out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Show us some photos when your work is completed.

Super Moderator

..............I had an 01FFL from 1984 to 2001. When the Turks hit the market @ $49 each/dealer I wanted nothing to do with them A shooting buddy showed up at the range one Tuesday with one he'd bought the previous week for $79. He'd cleaned it up and danged if it wasn't rather nice looking.

So these are the Turks I ended up with. TOP: Turked M1888. I think it's called a M88/35. 2ND: M38, but this one has an Imperial German action. 3RD: M38/46 BOTTOM: This is a M38 I reworked. I thought it would be nifty to have a 20" bbl version. I cut and re-crowned the bbl, altered the rear sight to carbine style, sectioned the stock and made a Mannlicher style nosecap.

LEFT: The shortened rear sight. Sorry for the poor photos. Camera at the time was a 1 Mpx and no closeup capabilities.RIGHT: I figured the Turks wouldn't throw anything away so I altered the front barrel band to accept it on the side and moved the rear one up onto the side of the buttstock.

LEFT: A closer look of the nose cap I made RIGHT: View of the right side of the 'creation'. Come to find out the Turkish Army actually had something like this and called it the Model 1905. There were actually a couple morons over on gunboards.com who alluded to the fact that I might have made it to pass off as a M1905 Let's see, the stock was sectioned under the front band, the rear sight base, elevation shoulders, AND the ladder had all been cut in half, and welded back together. The nose piece was fab'd up from pieces welded together, and the rear sling swivel was on the side of the buttstock. While I did a good job of it, if a collector was fooled he wouldn't be much of a collector!

Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

Ben, there are two different headspace gauges for the 8x57. The angle of the shoulder is a different angle on the Turks compared to a US version. This used to be a very debated topic on which one the Turks used.

I used to have ten of these at one time. They were some of the most accurate Mausers I have had. That really long sight plane made for a really accurate shot.

Boolit Grand Master
    tomme boy

You bet they are accurate rifles ( I know for a fact that these two are great shooters ) , I've already " clover leafed " 3 rounds with my metallic sights at 50 yds.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............I had an 01FFL from 1984 to 2001. When the Turks hit the market @ $49 each/dealer I wanted nothing to do with them A shooting buddy showed up at the range one Tuesday with one he'd bought the previous week for $79. He'd cleaned it up and danged if it wasn't rather nice looking.

So these are the Turks I ended up with. TOP: Turked M1888. I think it's called a M88/35. 2ND: M38, but this one has an Imperial German action. 3RD: M38/46 BOTTOM: This is a M38 I reworked. I thought it would be nifty to have a 20" bbl version. I cut and re-crowned the bbl, altered the rear sight to carbine style, sectioned the stock and made a Mannlicher style nosecap.

LEFT: The shortened rear sight. Sorry for the poor photos. Camera at the time was a 1 Mpx and no closeup capabilities.RIGHT: I figured the Turks wouldn't throw anything away so I altered the front barrel band to accept it on the side and moved the rear one up onto the side of the buttstock.

LEFT: A closer look of the nose cap I made RIGHT: View of the right side of the 'creation'. Come to find out the Turkish Army actually had something like this and called it the Model 1905. There were actually a couple morons over on gunboards.com who alluded to the fact that I might have made it to pass off as a M1905 Let's see, the stock was sectioned under the front band, the rear sight base, elevation shoulders, AND the ladder had all been cut in half, and welded back together. The nose piece was fab'd up from pieces welded together, and the rear sling swivel was on the side of the buttstock. While I did a good job of it, if a collector was fooled he wouldn't be much of a collector!

Buckshot
    Rick,

They obviously don't know you like I do or they would not have made such a remark.

That is some fine work you did on the Turk Carbine !

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Had one, which was made in 1934.It shot 1.5 inch groups all day,boringly with jacketed hand loads. I found the barreled action covered in grime, behind my LGS door.pimped it yup a bit and added a Butler Creek synth stock and a Redfield 3-9
    Gave it to my friend's lad for his 18th-he learnt to reload for this.So, we have a new shooter and a reloader.
    Mine was marked 7.91mm on the bbl, besides the Turk name.Anyone of you have a similar caliber designation?
    TIA
    Last edited by eljefeoz; 12-30-2013 at 02:09 AM.
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Banned

7.91 was the bore diameter. Most were 7.92 Take the action out of the stock and look under the rear sight somewhere. It will be marked. The 7.91 was just not shot as much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Ben, there are two different headspace gauges for the 8x57. The angle of the shoulder is a different angle on the Turks compared to a US version. This used to be a very debated topic on which one the Turks used.

I used to have ten of these at one time. They were some of the most accurate Mausers I have had. That really long sight plane made for a really accurate shot.
    I didn't know this, and I have been strongly contemplating getting a milsurp 8x57 lately as I have a set of dies and now have a couple of appropriate bullet molds. How much of a problem is this with a regular set of 8x57 dies (I think mine are older Pacific ones)?