RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Wolf spring kits

Wolf spring kits

I want to buy a set of Wolf srings for my Ruger super Blackhawk. Does any have a kit in their gun and what kit and do you like it.

Boolit Master

I installed Wolf spring kits (hammer and trigger) in both of my OM Vaqueros. I like them but noticed that the hammer strike was noticeably lighter than normal and I did have several misfires. I kept the Wolf trigger spring but re-installed the hammer spring and have had no problems since no matter what primer I use. I should add that I replaced the stock hammers with lower profile Super Blackhawk hammers

I recently modified just the trigger spring on my Super Blackhawk in accordance with the instructions found here;

http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

The trigger is as good as the wolf trigger spring using the stock hammer spring. Modifying the trigger spring IAW the instructions reduced the trigger pull from 7lbs. 12oz. to 2lb. 8oz.

Banned
    Can't speak to the Blackhawk, but I've used Wolff Springs in S&W K frames and Ruger GP-100's with excellent results. The springs are top quality and I've never had an issue. It is possible to go too light on the main spring and get light primer strikes. It's also a good practice to balance the main spring and the trigger return spring when dealing with double action revolvers. With a single action like the Blackhawk it's probably a simpler process. A single action trigger that breaks cleanly with no creep or over-travel is more important to me than actual pull weight.

Thanks for the input I'll try the mod if it works no harm no foul. If I muff it up theres always Wolf but I'm sure I can bend the spring.

I've installed Wolf kits in about 7 of my own S&Ws, K & N frame. I'm very pleased with them. There are two types, one for target work which they don't recommend for "critical defense". I also polish all contact surfaces, etc., while I've got the plate off and the result is startlingly smooth.

A Michigan outfit that supplies them has been a reliable source for me.

BTW, the target main springs make a different "ping" sound (when dry fired).

Banned
    I think WallyM3 is referring to Triggershims.com / Michigan Center Outdoors. They're good people and my preferred source for Wolff Springs and trigger shims.

Yup. Very nice folks and reliable, too.

(Couldn't think of their business name.)

Thanks guys I'm working on a Ruger 41 striping the grip frame & ejector rod shroud & polishing these with never dull new grips rear sight from Bowen their target model. I'll be working on polishing the trigger parts removing any tool marks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by daniel lawecki View Post
    I want to buy a set of Wolf srings for my Ruger super Blackhawk. Does any have a kit in their gun and what kit and do you like it.
    not a BH, but I have wolff super Blackhawk springs in my BFR. high power. I love them.

I have a set in my s&w 669 and also in my FEG PA63. on the off chance your a C&R holder they give a 30% discount which makes some stuff super cheap.

Boolit Grand Master

Polished the guts of a Ruger Sec Six and put in the spring kit, wonderful results,
    no reliability issues.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Never used "Wolfe" but have used "Bullseye" spring kits in my hunting revolvers. Colt "Python" never need them. Won't use any one's spring kits in my defensive firearms. YMMV.

Winelover

I bought the kit for my Ruger Super Redhawk and the difference was quite noticable. I'm glad I did it.

Boolit Buddy

I got the springs from Wolff for my Bisley. If you want to do this for your Blackhawk you should go with the HEAVIER springs than the factory spring. I don't have the packaging in front of me but I believe I went with the 26# main spring and I believe they have a 28# main spring also. Really helps the slow/long hammer fall of single actions to go with a heavy main spring.

2shot

Boolit Master

I've done two or three Ruger S/A's using wolf springs with very good results. A little polishing of surfaces and good to go.

I've got the 40 ounce in mine.
    Sully

Order 3 kits 2 for Blackhawks 1 for GP100 I'll leave my Smiths alone.

Boolit Mold
    Stock main pressue is approx 23lbs. When you order a shooters pak, you have a choice of main springs, I like 17's, but a 19 would be good also. I like thier springs. I use them in all my revolvers, including BP.

Boolit Master

I've used Wolff springs in ALL my Ruger single actions with great results. Only problems I've had were in a bunch of surplus Taurus 82's that did not like the reduced power hammer springs. Since that experience I've left the hammer springs alone and just used the trigger springs.

I've got a set in my Ruger NM Vaquero .357 and my Ruger NM Super Blackhawk Lipseys special .44 mag. BOTH have greatly benefitted from these springs with lighter trigger pulls. I would not hesitate to put these springs in any of my defensive guns if I deemed it necessary.

The only revolvers I wouldn't put these springs in are any of my Smiths <don't need them> and I also have a Colt Trooper MK III that was made in the late 60's that has the smoothest, slickest action I've ever felt in a Revolver.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2shot View Post
    .......If you want to do this for your Blackhawk you should go with the HEAVIER springs than the factory spring. I don't have the packaging in front of me but I believe I went with the 26# main spring and I believe they have a 28# main spring also.
    In the Blackhawk, better to not change the main spring (or go heavier not lighter) and only replace the trigger return spring.

A little work on where the spring contacts the trigger helps a lot too.