Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot Swaggs through my 1:7" twist AR.

Boolit Master

Shot Swaggs through my 1:7" twist AR.

I got to shoot some more bullets I made. I've been experimenting on heavier bullets. Made up some 60gr , 62gr and 63 gr bullets. The goal to see which shoots the best out of the 1:7" . The rifle is PSA Strikefire Carbine with a 4 MOA reddot. All shots at 100 yards- no wind temp about 34 degrees. I was a bit disappointed in the 62 gr bullet could have been the powder used probaly give them another shot using IMR 4895. Only have four shots on the 60grs as I had a bad case- primer fell out in transit to the range! Weird as I didn't feel the loose primer while priming. Over all very happy with the results. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSA 60 gr Swagged 100 Yards.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	91328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSA 62 gr  swagged 100 yards.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	91329Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSA 63.5 gr Swagged  100 yards.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	91330

Boolit Bub
    Nice work. Did you vary the charge load at all, or was this bullet weight variation and the fact that you made them?

Boolit Master
    Squished
    The 60's were shot with 25 gr Benchmark, the 62 and 63's were shot with 24 grs. Next up these will get shot out my Savage bolt gun. All bullets were within .1gr of each other or exact wts.
    Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 12-22-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Boolit Master

Are you useing copper jackets, or rimfire brass?
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    clodhopper
    22LR's converted!

Boolit Master

Wow, that's an inspiration with a 7 twist barrel.
    I have been useing 1in8 barrel in 6 creedmore. When fireing near 3000fps, bullets have been spinning apart.
    Backing down the velocity has given me bullets that I can group at 100 yards.
    Still working on better bullets and raising velocitys.
    I am useing .22 mags cases and making 6mm bullets around 108-109 grains.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Clodhopper
    Spining apart? Somethings isn't right. What brand cases are you using- is it just one brand? As I've said in a previous post I don't even sort my cases by brand just swag and make bullets! Now I haven't chronied any of my loads yet but according to the load data and my experience with loading I'm pushing these bullets at or just above 3000 fps.

Gunnut, help us out, I'm curious. Is the target you're shooting 8 1/2 by 11? If so your groups would appear to be about 4 to 6 inch in size? Clodhopper, FYI: I had the same problem with Remington cases coming apart past 3000 FPS. Don't have that problem with Federal and CCI jackets. Those Rem cases are thinner and more brittle. I'm thinking there isn't as much copper in them and more zinc?
    Last edited by Prospector Howard; 12-23-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Master
    Yes they are. Max spread on the 60 gr target 2 7/8" , 62 gr 3.5", 63 gr 3.5 " with the three shots within 1 3/8" also take into account this was shot with a 4 MOA Reddot which covers all of the blue at 100 yards. So that would make it sub MOA wouldn't it? As MOA with that site is 4" at 100 yards.

Boolit Master

I have been trying all the brands I can find laying on the range. fireing at 25 yards near 3000 fps the group about9-10 inches. Many hitting full on sidways some showing petals.
    under 2400fps I can group under 2 inches at 100 yards.
    CCI cases do not eject well from the point form die.
    Winchesters seem to eject but 10 percent break in derim step.
    So my best shooting has been with winchesters.
    I do not know who makes them but cases marked with a t almost like the old texaco insignia have formed well but have not shot them yet.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Wow, that's an inspiration with a 7 twist barrel.
    I have been useing 1in8 barrel in 6 creedmore. When fireing near 3000fps, bullets have been spinning apart.
    Backing down the velocity has given me bullets that I can group at 100 yards.
    Still working on better bullets and raising velocitys.
    I am useing .22 mags cases and making 6mm bullets around 108-109 grains.
    These were shot in my 1-8 20" @ 3000fps+. It does have a VXR 2x-7x scope, course cross hair. So you can get 22lrjackets to shoot.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Fred
    Dam nice group! Thats what I exspect from my Savage. Got 10 rounds of my 55grs loaded an hopefully I'll get out tomorrow and see what it will do.

Clodhopper
    So what do your bullets mike out too? Sounds like they aren't quite .224" I found I had too squeze them alittle harder when seating the cores to get them to right at .224" first few I did were .223 ish and I noticed when seating them in in a case -able to push in with finger pressure. Shot like **** too!
    The only other thing I can think of to cause such inaccuracy would be air holes in the cores.
    Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 12-24-2013 at 04:11 AM.

I know my 1:7 likes em heavy. I use 77gr Sierra HPBT in my AR.
    I have a 1:8 Savage bolt gun and eveyone says 55gr shoot great for them, mine hates em. When I go to 69gr HPBT it's a one hole shooter.

Boolit Master

Gunnut, my bullets measure .243. I have been bringing them from .241 to .242 in the core seat step. Then .243 in the point form step.
    Cores are homemade wire cut 5-7 grains overweight then swaged, I made all my cores more than a year ago and did not pay any attention to dwell time.
    Will be more aware next time I make cores, but I think uniforimity is pretty good. The scale has them at 2/10 grain spread.
    Some other factors that I have been pondering.
    Barrel deposits, rifleing profile, how smooth the barrel is.
    My barrel did have pretty good metal fouling when the bullets were coming apart.
    Rifleing profile, just seems taller lands will stretch thin jacket more.
    Barrel smoothness, with 1100 rounds down the tube I can only hope I'm in that happy place between break in and erosion that looks like a glaicer about to calve.
    Maybe a little more wipe out is called for.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

May Liberty Increase!
    I'm not swaging 223s, but my experience with a 1:7 twist 16-in AR mirrors rattletrap's. I can get .75 MOA with 77gr Nosler Custom Competitions. I tried multiple ladder tests and loads with 55 and 62 grain bullets and could never get better than 2 MOA out of the 1:7 twist. This was what dissuaded me from swaging 223s, since 22 mag brass is not as readily available to convert for the heavier bullets.

Of course, I've acquired 1:9 twist barrels since then.......

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
    Fred
    Dam nice group! Thats what I exspect from my Savage. Got 10 rounds of my 55grs loaded an hopefully I'll get out tomorrow and see what it will do.
    Thanks, I am happy with them as plinking bullets for 200 & less in my ARs. They do come in right at 0.224". I do segregate by weight for group testing, not by jacket brand. Bullets within 0.5gr of each other for general shooting, 0.1gr for pretty groups.
    FWIW, my 1-7 carbines do fine with 55gr. The vel is down because of the shorter bbls, but 3-4" open sighted groups are not uncommon with the Hornady 55gr FMJ in my M&P. Yes they do shoot better with the 62gr stuff, but not much.

Vendor Sponsor

Nice shooting Fred! I certainly love to see customers shoot good groups. Be sure to sign up for the postal shoot if you can. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eryone-welocme!
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master

Gunnut 45/454:

Do you have Iron sights on the rifle also? If so, try those and not the red dot. Should shrink your group size some as they will allow a more refined sight picture than the 4 MOA red dot.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Nice shooting Fred! I certainly love to see customers shoot good groups. Be sure to sign up for the postal shoot if you can. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eryone-welocme!
    Maybe I'll give my buddy's 27" savage a try. I think 1" is about all my 20". AR will do. SHot this group sat in a bit of wind.
    Last edited by fredj338; 12-31-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Gunnut, you get to shoot them again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast