Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee 452-230 tc question

Lee 452-230 tc question

I have a Lee 452-230 truncated cone six cavity mold, the regular lube groove type. The problem I have with it is that there is a chamfer on the base of the boolit. I have never seen a cast boolit mold with this design. It doesn't make any sense because when you run it through your lube sizer a bunch of lube fills in the chamfer and it is a pain to get off. I tried to simply seat the boolit into the case and leave all of the excess lube on but when the boolit is seated a bunch of lube squirts out and make a mess. I could tumble lube it but I bought the regular lube groove design because I didn't want to tumble lube. Am I missing something or did lee just no think this one through?

Boolit Grand Master
    It is called a bevel base, very common in handgun bullets. Some have used a small disk of foam, like meat is packaged on, under the bullet to help eliminate the ring around the base.

Boolit Master
    You might find a local machine shop that could remove the bevel for you. You can either flat mill the bottom of the mold which will produce a slightly lighter boolit, or ream the lip off the base of the mold which makes for a slightly heavier boolit.

Boolit Master

Try the foam disk under the boolit, many report this works fine. I use a lot of that boolit but I use a Star push through sizer for any bevel base bullet.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    Try the foam disk under the boolit, many report this works fine. I use a lot of that boolit but I use a Star push through sizer for any bevel base bullet.
    The Star lube/sizer does NOT get lube on the bevel of bevel based bullets but Cherokee's suggestion for a Lyman or RCBS lube/sizer may solve your problem. Pan lubing then using a Lee push through sizing die also works extremely well.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    I use this bullet. But I coat it with HI-TEK Supercoat. The Lyman 450 really makes a mess with this bullet.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Ran into this problem with my 45 and 9mm Lee bullets and my Lyman 450/4500 lubrisizer _(its a 450 converted with upgrade kit sold by Lyman and now has the great 4500 linkage and handle).

Solutions that have worked:

a. Buck Shot (member here) made me a new punch that allows me to size 45 acp bevel based bullets and no grease on base issues anymore.
    b. 9mm: I tried cardboard and egg carton foam/whatever it is on punch to see if that approach worked but its problematic. I then tried the plastic corroplast real estate sign material and that ended the issue when I lube 9mm bullets.

Now, the urgency to get a final solution for 9mm with a Buckshot made punch has not been a priority the past 3 years but now that I think of it, I will get him to do it and put this to rest permanently.

If you want a great temp solution ,try the real estate sign material. They last a very long time and keep grease from getting on base of bevel bullets. You may find it very rewarding .. I limped along using it effortlessly for 3 yrs so it works ...its a good work around solution. If it were not, I would have been in crisis to track Buckshot down for a 9mm solution.

Boolit Master

Buckshot's special punch is the best solution, I just did not remember who made them.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    I find that I get no lube on the bevel or bottom if limit the heat to just having medium soft lube instead of runny and if I set the depth adjustment too high to where the lube just barely does not enter the lube groove and then back the setting down about 1/2 turn. Also necessary to keep a boolit in the closed lube sizer when not actively sizing. Works in my 450 anyway.

prs

Boolit Master

I use a Star to lube pistol boolits with bevel base. Lee did not invent this style of boolit but merely tweaked the designs of others.