WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: An interesting article that has ideas relevant to paper patch BPCR

Boolit Master

An interesting article that has ideas relevant to paper patch BPCR

It's an old article about tuning loads for a slug gun. It's definitely worth a read.

http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives.../mbo42-4.shtml

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, Bob Morris, the builder of my guns. All 4, works of art. Thx for posting

Boolit Master
    You are welcome .

I think that to really get the most out of these black powder rifles it's good to understand all of the types of shooting that we're done. Whether it's cartridge rifles using fixed ammunition, breach seating, muzzleloading, breech-muzzleloading or whatever. Before my time is up I plan on messing with it all

I thought that this article on tuning a slug gun was particularly interesting. I imagine that a lot of the muzzleloader guys have come across it, but probably not so many of we cartridge guys. I don't know much about slug guns, but the articles I've read about bench shooting muzzleloaders in SPG's magazine have been really interesting.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Kenny, If I may what setup do you have for the slug guns? Been playing with the idea for a while and now that I'm retired I could have time to indulge in it. Thanks, Don

That is a good write up on his findings of bullet composition. It mirrors my findings to a T.
    The only thing is using the sawdust for catching the bullets. Sawdust has a tendency to deform the ogive more than snow from my findings.
    But regardless it is a well written test.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Sawdust has a tendency to deform the ogive more than snow from my findings.
    There are a number of different kinds of 'styrofoam'. Some of it kinda 'wads up' when you poke a sharp stick through it, and another type is kinda grainy and brittle. I wonder if there is a type that will simulate the consistency of drifted snow.

I will pay more attention to that possibility from now on.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

CM.
    I have no idea if there is anything better than a fresh dry snow bank for recovered bullets.
    I read an article Elmer Keith once wrote on recovered bullet tests he used to do using fresh snow drifts. He said that he has not found anything that is better.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    CM.
    I have no idea if there is anything better than a fresh dry snow bank for recovered bullets.
    I read an article Elmer Keith once wrote on recovered bullet tests he used to do using fresh snow drifts. He said that he has not found anything that is better.
    I'm well aware of the perfection of snow, but we don't always have some around when I take a notion to wonder about something. It would be useful to find a suitable substitute ... if one has been invented since Elmer passed this way.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.