MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: How consistent are you REALY???

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pat I. View Post
    Don't get so touchy because I wasn't giving you grief but do you really think you're the first one to weigh segregate bullets? Do you think you're the only one that cares about accuracy? I was fitting barrels, building cast bullet BR rifles, cutting moulds, shooting matches, and searching for accuracy with cast bullet BR rifles long before I ever saw your name on a website. Do as 357maximum says and see if you can tell any difference on paper because that's what matters unless I got my signals mixed up. Maybe I've been missing the point of guns and shooting all along and it's really not about how well a gun performs at the range it's really about convincing yourself and others that you do everything "Perfectly" and then talking about it on an internet forum.
    I will do you one better. What we do here is about "satisfaction" and how well we enjoy what we do. I tumble my brass not because it may affect accuracy, but because I like mine shiny. I load cast and load as consistently as possible, but because I like it that way. If it makes no difference to you, then cast and blast away. Without sarcasm, I wish for great enjoyment for you when you use that process. I appreciate that someone has shown it simple steps how to make MY process more enjoyable.

Yes, others have been segregating by weight. It is not a new concept. This thread is about how to pour more consistent weight boolits. This is first things first. The rest of reloading and shooting follows that.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    First thing I suggest you do is to go to southern Illinois and have Bobby show you how it's done in person.

2nd- take your 10 heaviest and your 10 lightest boolits mix them up randomly and go shoot a 20 shot composite group with a known GOOD LOAD.

3rd- take 20 boolits from the middle that all weigh the same and repeat the 20 shot group.

4th -pour yourself an adult beverage and cognitate on what you have learned
    This completely misses both the point and the intention of the OP and the reason for doing the experiments. The point of the experiment was very simply the education of the experimenter. The point of posting it was to pass on what he had learned in the hopes that it might benefit others. My view of this post is that he was quite successful in both.

I understood Tim's intention right from the git go because like most long time casters I've been there done that. None of Tim's experiments in this thread were about how well they shoot, rather what causes this, why is that, what happens if I . . . how much the variations effect the groups is something time will tell and be part of the continuing education of Tim. Hopefully he will post those results also because newer casters that haven't done the painstaking time & effort will also learn. Sure wish there had been an internet and CastBoolits forum 30+ years ago.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Don't get so touchy because I wasn't giving you grief but do you really think you're the first one to weigh segregate bullets? Do you think you're the only one that cares about accuracy? I was fitting barrels, building cast bullet BR rifles, cutting moulds, shooting matches, and searching for accuracy with cast bullet BR rifles long before I ever saw your name on a website. Do as 357maximum says and see if you can tell any difference on paper because that's what matters unless I got my signals mixed up. Maybe I've been missing the point of guns and shooting all along and it's really not about how well a gun performs at the range it's really about convincing yourself and others that you do everything "Perfectly" and then talking about it on an internet forum.
    Did you eat a bad piece of fruitcake or something?
    Geez! Go pinch an elf on the hiney, drink some eggnog and chill out. LOL!

Look, I know I committed capital sin by measuring my proficiency at casting. I also took a bath, shaved the area between my eyebrows, and tied on shoes this morning! There is no end to the offences I likely caused you had you only known all of the ways I separated myself from the apes yesterday.
    Now I'm really going to shock you:
    I intend to measure
    my
    boolits
    with
    a
    micrometer!!!!!!!

NooooOOOOooooOOOoooOOOooooOOOooooOOOOooooOOOOooooo OOOooooOOOO
    The humanity!

Are you seriously getting upset with me because I measured something?
    You better not ever spend too much time around me buddy. I'll probably drive you to drink. LOL!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Seriously Tim! Dadgumit! I was perfectly fine with purdy boolits until I read this thread. For some reason I had been ignoring this thread, now I know why. Now I have a dilemma, be satisfied where I'm at or follow in the footsteps of the obsessed? Need to call and make an appt with my shrink.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Outstanding effort

Way To Go, Tim! I think I will try this mode, using an ingot mold instead of a ladle, pour a couple of seconds into a cavity in the IM, then slide the boolit mold over the IM to fill those cavities. Build a stage w/wood to set the IM on, to get to the right height. When one IM cavity gets full move it an inch and start on another cavity. Is that a plan, or is that a plan!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Seriously Tim! Dadgumit! I was perfectly fine with purdy boolits until I read this thread. For some reason I had been ignoring this thread, now I know why. Now I have a dilemma, be satisfied where I'm at or follow in the footsteps of the obsessed? Need to call and make an appt with my shrink.
    LOL!
    Don't bother with the bell curve. Your boolits are perfect. Absolutely immaculate. Every one a shining example of perfect boolitry for all to behold......

See, now you're going to have to go make sure, arnt ya? LOL!

The bigger the bullet the greater the ragne of weight variation. 0.2gr accuracy is easier for me to achieve with 124gr 9mm, but not so much with 340gr 45-70. I am perfectly happy with a 1gr variation in the bigger bullets. I know it won't matter as much as the case volume can very almost that much on those bigger cases.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Tim

Don't be discouraged by nay sayers you did a good thing by starting the wheels turning in a bunch of heads.

Some of us have done similar things and others are now considering changing how they do things to make it better.

How this "spark" of an idea is translated into action by the viewers of your post is completely up to them and out of your control so no worries K!

The whole reason I "Tune In" to this web site is to learn something and a day doesn't go by that someone has an idea here that either generates that spark or generates a new spark for something completely different.

Hope that makes sense to more than just me,LOL!

Keep it coming,

HM

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Tim

Don't be discouraged by nay sayers you did a good thing by starting the wheels turning in a bunch of heads.

Some of us have done similar things and others are now considering changing how they do things to make it better.

How this "spark" of an idea is translated into action by the viewers of your post is completely up to them and out of your control so no worries K!

The whole reason I "Tune In" to this web site is to learn something and a day doesn't go by that someone has an idea here that either generates that spark or generates a new spark for something completely different.

Hope that makes sense to more than just me,LOL!

Keep it coming,

HM
    I am not discouraged in the least! If somebody jumps up at a party and screams that they don't bathe but twice a year, it really doesn't make me wonder if I could save on my water bill ya know?
    You just kinda shake your head and say "WOW".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    You better not ever spend too much time around me buddy. I'll probably drive you to drink. LOL!
    I doubt it because I've been dealing with internet "expurts" for a long time. I do want to thank you though for helping me make the decision about something I've been kicking around for the last year or so.

Boolit Grand Master
    I doubt it because I've been dealing with internet "expurts" for a long time. I do want to thank you though for helping me make the decision about something I've been kicking around for the last year or so.
    Did Tim ever claim to be an expert?

Tim was challenged by another member, one who gets a fair bit of respect here I might add, to see if he could produce more consistent bullets. Has nothing to do with being an expert. It was a. Challenge to see what matters in casting consistent bullets.

I appreciate the report Tim. We often assume we have consistent bullets but unless we weight them we don't know, do we?

Boolit Master

LOL!
    Don't bother with the bell curve. Your boolits are perfect. Absolutely immaculate. Every one a shining example of perfect boolitry for all to behold......

See, now you're going to have to go make sure, arnt ya? LOL!
    Where is the sarcasm font? Seriously though, thanks for the thread. Those of us still new to this cast boolit thing welcome threads like this that educate, inform and challenge us. Though I have not read every thread on the site, this is the first time I have seen anything like this in print here. Don't know why but some guys just get their Fallopian tubes bruised awful easy!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Where is the sarcasm font? Seriously though, thanks for the thread. Those of us still new to this cast boolit thing welcome threads like this that educate, inform and challenge us. Though I have not read every thread on the site, this is the first time I have seen anything like this in print here. Don't know why but some guys just get their Fallopian tubes bruised awful easy!
    I'm a little worried. See, I recently decided to do a similar thing with my powder charges, and I was going to post about it, but I see that some folks might get offended.
    There's no telling what the repercussions might be if I mentioned that I gave up on the Lee dippers and actually weigh every powder charge with a (gasp) scale!
    Someone would probably accuse me of acting like an expert if I did that though.
    Yep, I've got to keep this stuff under wraps.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tim, are you one of those silly gunsmiths who actually measures stuff to make sure it is centered in the lathe?

What I get out of this entire thread is this- a guy can't determine how much weight difference matters in his rifle until he can produce enough bullets of a consistent weight to shoot.

Tim learned how changes in casting rhythm and method makes a difference in bullet weight.

For the new guys this is proof that rhythm matters.

The process matters in shooting. Can't get good results on paper without proper process control.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been dealing with internet "expurts" for a long time.
    Another one that completely missed the point and objective of both the experimenting and posting the results.

Nowhere in this thread or any other threads have I seen Tim even remotely hint at being an expert, in fact he asks more questions than most here.

Tim has a very healthy case of . . . What would happen if? How would this? What if I? Been there done that for many years and it's part of a well rounded overall boolit education. Even a failed experiment is an opportunity to learn something if you take the time to understand why.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Tim learned how changes in casting rhythm and method makes a difference in bullet weight.

For the new guys this is proof that rhythm matters.
    At least that's what she said......
    LOL!

Banned

"There's no telling what the repercussions might be if I mentioned that I gave up on the Lee dippers..."

I love my dippers, but I know my place as a more casual reloader and +/- .1, i.e. a .2 grain tolerance is O.K. for me. With the dippers it may be +/- .2 for a .4 grain toleance or intolerance. Striving for perfection is a worthy goal. For me hitting a paper plate consistently at whatever range makes me happy. If you read Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual 4th edition, there is a decent discussion about this topic by Mike Venturino and he does what you are doing. Hard to be consistent at long ranges unless you strive for perfection/close tolerances. I think there is room for everyone and you are at the high end of the Bell Curve.

Boolit Grand Master
    At least that's what she said......
    LOL!
    Wow, Tim, just wow

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Wow, Tim, just wow
    I know.
    I'm ashamed.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm impressed.

That is exactly the sort of comment I would make.....

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast