Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2 cycle synthetic and beeswax

That's interesting, kerosene? Well that would make making lube even cheaper. $6 per quart vs $4 per gallon for the oil.

Yep. Studying the MSDS for various products is quite fascinating. For instance, the common ingredient in a lot of waxes/polishes is white spirits, sometimes referred to as Stoddard's Solvent (or occasionally naptha). The same solvent(s) is used in a lot of paints and adhesives. The terminology can get a bit confusing, however, as some also refer to it as kerosene, whereas I've never considered kerosene to be quite as volatile as white spirits (maybe it depends on the purity? Not sure about that).

I bought some "low aroma" kero to make my Ed's Red cleaner.

Boolit Master
    Kero is NOT naptha. I've never considered kero to be a solvent of any kind for that matter. Kero is a light oil. Solvents are more volatile, generally.

As I said, the terminology can get confusing at times. I've never considered kero to be in the same category as white spirits, naptha etc, but it is classified as a solvent by the companies that manufacture it (it is also classified as a jet and rocket fuel).

Depending on the type (clear, blue, low-odour or colourless) the MSDS I looked at refer to the main ingredient as being low-aromatic white spirit; naptha (petroleum) hydrosulphurised heavy; or distillates (petroleum) hydrotreated light (the first two have the same CAS number so is an example of two products, having the same chemical composition but being described with different names).

It's no wonder people get confused.....
    Last edited by dikman; 01-02-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345