Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage mod 24 22-410

Boolit Master

Noted thanks.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The new combo are a long way different to the old guys, different kettle of fish altogether.

Had several up at the range, be careful with the sight adjustments, the sight is plastic and there is a lock screw that needs to be let off or you will damage the sight (ask me how we found this out). We also had a lot of trouble getting the gun to hit where it was aimed, until the owner fused a bit of plastic on the foresight and we finally go it percolating.

I'd be realllllllllll leery about shelling out the considerable amount of dollars they want for one of these. Try and get to shoot one first.

If I lived in the States and wanted a 22LR/410 combo, I'd buy a single barrel 410 and a cheap 22pistol. Probably come out about the same money.

Not impressed. Jeff Quinn gave them a wrap and lost a lot of cred with me as a result of that.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I have a 22lr/20 and it has seen alot of truck/tractor abuse and keeps right on working. Sure would love to have that 20/30-30 model.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is a .222/20ga; the only thing I would add to what has already been stated is stay away from the synthetic stocked versions that they made right before the Model 24 was discontinued. Very clubby, not too mention they feel about 2lbs heavier than the wood. I've not yet laid eyes on the new production versions so I can't comment.

-Klaus

Boolit Buddy
    I spotted one coming up at an auction. 1949 Savage 24 .22/410. What is it worth? IF it is good shape.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

great practical utility gun, especially if you load your own .410 shells. built like a tank and accurate. good sights and a pleasure to shoot. $400 is reasonable imo.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    They bring pretty good money here.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one 20 years ago as my 3rd gun I am ordering a peep and fiber optic for it. It shoots great for a time but the sights are not all that. I am going to this set up on all my open sight rifles as money allows me my kids shoot better with peeps as well.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For what original Savage 24s bring used, you can buy an H&R Handi Combo with a rifle and a shotgun barrel to go with it, and your choice of utility companion handgun. I have a .22LR/20-ga. 2-3/4" chamber cylinder bore Camper Model, and while the .22 rifle barrel is a tack driver, the cylinder bore 20-ga. is less useful than a longer, full choke .410. Slugs don't hit within a foot of the .22 barrel and buckshot patterns are thin. My particular gun does pattern well with 1 oz. of 6's, which is the only 20-ga. load I use.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a Savage 24 22/410 from a friend that needed money.
    I was going to convert it into a Survival/ Truck Gun.
    I wanted to shorten it to the legal limit, put on mounts for a Scope or Red Dot, and build the Buttstock to hold extra ammo and gear.
    But after finding out what the old Side Selector Models were selling for, and this one was in Perfect condition, I decided to sell it back to my friend when he got back on his feet.
    I will wait an pick up one in Not So Nice of condition to Bubba.
    Had a Garcia Bronco years ago that I made into a Survival rifle with a canvas Pouch that was laced to the Skleton Buttstock Frame.
    But Like a fool, someone talked me out of it.
    A .357 over a 20 Ga would be a better choice for what I want to do.

But before I sold the gun back to my friend, I did make one Modification to the model 24
    The ejector or lifter for the barrels works on spring Pressure.
    It sometimes wouldn't lift the .410 shells if you were firing slugs , because they expande so much.
    So ,I re-made the lifter lever, and added a hook to the side, that caught under the lip in the frame.
    So when the gun was broken open all the way, the hook caught o the frame, and forced the leaver down to lift the shells.
    My friend was tickled with the modification, and the original lifter can be replaced to put it back to original, since the lifter was remade with No modifications to the gun.

A very good alternative, it turns out, is a combination gun much better than the current Savage Model 42 - a Chiappa Double Badger, available in either .22LR or .22 WMR over a .410 shot bbl, for about $300 (new).

I bought the .22 WMR version.

I transport it in a $30 Bulldog assault/tactical padded nylon case.

Boolit Grand Master

My first gun was on older 22lr/410ga with the side selector button. It broke where the metal plate twists around so I brazed it together and used enough rod to build it up. Never had an issue after that. Sold it long ago.
    My wife and I were junking one day and we stopped in a pawn shop that had an older but newer than my first gun but in 22mag/20ga. Has the selector on the hammer and side opening lever. The barrels are soldered together on this gun like my first one.
    I am left handed and it works great for me.
    I did have a receiver sight on it at one time but took it off and sold it long ago.
    I have killed a bunch of game with this gun over the years. Used to hunt an area in the mountain foothills and rabbits would run out and go in the wash and part way up the other side and stop. I would shoot the Federal 50gr load into the rotten granite near them and almost every time it would kill them with no holes in the body. Would not work as well with the lighter bullets.
    Last edited by leadman; 01-03-2016 at 03:28 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    My Dad has one in .222/20 gauge. Very accurate and the shotgun barrel seems regulated to the rifle barrel as it shoots 20 gauge slugs very well and right on with the rifle barrel.

Decent gun. I wish I had one in many different squirrel woods during small game season. It is just a pot meat gun though. The 22 over 20 would be more all around with the 20 ga being capable of deer. They made them in different chamberings. I was always interested in the 30-30 over 12 ga for deer and the 308 win over 12 ga for deer and bear calling and bait along the rivers in the swamps back when I was younger.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Buddy
    Ive got one in 22wmr/20ga, rifle barrel is surprisingly accurate, I have shot moa with ammo it likes.
    My only complaint is it is poorly regulated, shotgun barrel patterns about 15" higher than where the rifle shoots.