Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman 1200 DPS Upgrade

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman 1200 DPS Upgrade

I've owned a Lyman 1200 DPS for a couple of years now, but I seldom use it because it's SOOOOO slow! I load for .338 and .300 Win. mag., and I'm usually throwing a charge of anywhere from 70 to 80 grains. I can darn near cast some boolits between charges. To speed things up, I've taken to using the biggest Lee powder scoop to start the charge, then letting the dispenser finish it up. There's just something wrong with having to use a plastic powder scoop to speed up a high tech, $230 piece of reloading gear.

Recently, Lyman came out with a newer, faster version (I think RCBS was eating them alive), and even sell an "update" for the older versions.

Has anyone here had any experience with the upgrade?
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

no i havent but i am getting ready to buy one and your information made my choice i am going rcbs thanks

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 1200 and believe that the upgrade was in memory. You could keep 100 or more loads vs 20. As I use mine regularly and have never entered a charge in memory I saw no need for it. Mine gets used with powders that don' measure well and on a Lee turret press. By the time the cartridge is around to the fill point the measure is full. Most loads run about 1/2 you powder though. I believe that the RCBS has a faster electronic program not a faster dispense time. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Great head to head test of the Lyman, PACT, and RCBS on www.6mmbr.com recently.

I ain't giving up the ending...you need to go see for yourself.

Rich

Idaho,

I guess I have a case of the stupids this morning. Where on that website is the article about the test?

Boolit Master

Thanks Manleyjt. I have one of the Lyman units and it is ok. It is a pain to clean and it isn't what I would call exactly fast. I think I will get the upgrade and see if that helps the speed. I guess I can't complain. I bought it in the Cabelas bargain room for about half of normal retail.

Boolit Master
    Manleyjt,

beat me to it...

It's really handy when you are throwing 125-140grains of H335, N160/165, and AA3100.
    550 Gibbs Magnum.

Rich

My biggest complaint with the Lyman 1200 DPS (I got mine for Christmas 3 or 4 years ago) is that it leaks powder like a sive! Sometimes so much powder leaks into the electronics that it shorts out. When I move it after having used it a few times I always have a layer of powder under the scale. It seems to come out of every small oriface.

I think that maybe the powder comes out both ends of my trickle tube

Looking at Midways picture of the upgrade, it seems to be a new tub and trickle tube. Also, the whole tub can be brought out for emptying.

I am thinking that maybe this will help reduce the leaking.

Does anybody else have this problem?
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Made in U.S.A.
    Got the upgrade for mine about a month ago.
    It makes it a lot easier to clean or change powder.
    As to speed I haven't used it enough to tell.

The new model has a option that starts to fill
    the pan as soon as you put it back on the scale
    That could be good.

Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Hey Swede, Did you ever have a problem with powder leaking like I have? If so, has the upgrade helped to alieveate it?
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Made in U.S.A.
    Cayoot

No leaks but always made a mess changing powders.
    It has helped with that.

Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.